What Is Your Favorite Submarine Movie?

SWVABillsFan

Run Silent Run Deep. Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster... and a little bit of Don Rickles too.

I was just going to look that up! The alarm and Gable yelling "Dive! Dive!" is something I still think of every time I see a submarine.

-------

I just watched part of a bad sub movie called Below. It's on my DVR, so I'll probably get to the ending some sad night where I have nothing else recorded.

Critic Lou Lumenick from the New York Post sums it up pretty well:

A substandard attempt to outfit a World War II submarine with every haunted-house cliché known to man and filmmakers.

The positive spin from Entertainment weekly (posted on Meta-critic):

In the handsome, haunting submarine thriller Below, the usual perils of deep-sea maneuvers are heightened by psychic unraveling.

Sorry, this is the exact opposite of what was requested, but I thought I'd offer it in case anyone tries to rank the movies suggested to give us a little more range....

As someone else pointed out, great topic.

I know we have Vader that does a lot with the new releases that are coming out (thanks for the hard work Vader) but maybe we should get a weekly post like this going on. Different movie genres, soungs, foods, Etc... Only things is many times threads get highjacked (I know I'm often guilty of it) and right now without the season and offseason in full swing its easier said than done. But once Thursday rolls around and draft time gets here, we won't be chatting about this kind of stuff as much. Worth a shot though.

Again, thanks for the cool thread.

There is no other submarine movie then this...and Kelsey Grammer in Down Periscope.

Das Boot.

Nothing against Red October...but you will never see a more realistic portrayal of life on a submarine than Das Boot.

Operation Petticoat is an excellent movie.. Remember watching it with my Dad when I was younger (I'm 39).. I stop and watch every time I see it on TV.

Down Periscope is a winner in my book, too.

and, of course, The Hunt for Red October.

Excellent topic!

My list:

1. Hunt for Red October

2. Das Boot

3. Crimson Tide

4. U571 (I know)

5. Down Periscope (Thank you for reminding me Jboyst, good call)

But I'd put the Abyss at 2 if I could finangle that into being considered a submarine movie.

1st mention I ever heard of Das Boot, so props to you. I spent 3 1/2 hours watcning last night and I thought it was a good movie. At the end I kept thinking really, really? If you have not watched I suggest Youtube and make lots of popcorn, LOL. Run Silent, Run Deep and The Enemy Below are next. Thanks!!!!!

How many submarine movies are there that have not been mentioned?

Quite a few. There's at least a dozen B-grade World War II sub movies Hollywood made that haven't been mentioned (and won't be...because they basically sucked).