Kolb on John Murphy: Impressions

ajzepp

With the Iggles being my favorite NFC team, I've been passively following Kolb since he was drafted. I was fully on board with cutting ties with Fitz, so my opinion on the Kolb signing was that it was an upgrade to the position. I just finished up listening to his interview on the John Murphy show tonight, and I have to say that there is a clear contrast between him and Fitz in terms of their personalities. Listening to KK, it was striking how much he reminded me of Jimbo. (And before some of you hosers jump all over me for saying that, chill...I'm not saying he's the second coming of Jimbo.) I was very impressed with how well he seems to already know about the players - not just who they are, but their backgrounds. He came off very positive, but also very balanced in his assessment of the three days of this OTA. Most importantly, he struck me as a natural leader, which is something I felt was lacking with Fitz both on and off the field.

It was kind of funny to hear how excited he got when describing Spiller's and Fred's blitz pick-up abilities. It was almost like you could feel how stressful it was to be behind that line in Arizona, and that seeing backs that are adept at blocking was a breath of fresh air for the guy. He also spoke as if he was assuming he's the starter, and I have to say that I respect that. I want a guy who views himself that way, at least until he proves otherwise. He seems to love the approach that Coach Hackett and Coach Marrone are taking, and I was convinced that he is really glad to be here.

I'm still hoping for Nassib or Wilson to end up in Buffalo by the end of next week, but Kolb has me already feeling much better about the QB spot. Whether he'll pan out or not remains to be seen, but IMO he's definitely saying all the right things.

Linked: http://audio.wgr550....-kevin-kolb.htm

http://podcast.wgr550.com/wgr2/3956304.mp3?rhidownloadlink=true

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

First, Andy Dalton is not at all a franchise QB. Second, the 49ers didn't know what they had with Kaepernick. They took a chance on him, and he was drafted higher than he was expected. In fact, the reason they drafted him was because Andrew Luck told Harbaugh how good he was. There is no way they were betting he was going to be a franchise guy, just, as I said, hoping he was. I think he is a franchise guy, or will be in the next couple years as soon as he proves last year was not a fluke, which I think he will. I was talking about when they drafted him, were they betting on him to be the guy and there is no way, IMO. Otherwise, they would have taken him in the first round, and it's almost inarguable.

I'm not talking about what they became. I definitely think Wilson is. There is no chance in the world if you really believed a player was going to be a franchise QB you would pass him over once let alone twice. Sure, they hope it pans out. They don't honestly think he is that guy other wise they take him #1.

you got a link for that bit about Luck telling Harbaugh about Kaep? Im not doubting/calling credibility into question, this is just the first im hearing about this....and I find it semi hard to believe that a head coach (who does not even have all say over personel) would draft a QB just because his old college QB called him up and said how good this dude was

you got a link for that bit about Luck telling Harbaugh about Kaep? Im not doubting/calling credibility into question, this is just the first im hearing about this....and I find it semi hard to believe that a head coach (who does not even have all say over personel) would draft a QB just because his old college QB called him up and said how good this dude was

I heard it a couple weeks ago. Harbaugh was one who said it himself. Luck was at some camp with a QB guru in the off season. He was talking to Harbaugh on the phone after it and Harbaugh asked him if anyone there impressed him. Luck said yeah, that Kap had a cannon and was very, very good. Harbaugh immediately went to work him out in person and fell in love with him as a prospect, and then they drafted him soon thereafter. It's very likely they never would have had him rated that highly without Luck's observation, phone call, and Harbaugh immediately going to work him out in person.

EDIT: Okay, here is a story on it. It's a little different than the story I heard but in effect, the same thing. The Luck/Harbaugh conversation was the year before. But that's why Harbaugh had been following Kap closely and why he went to work him out when he wasn't that hot of a prospect.

It also shows that Kaepernick was not that hot of a prospect around the league and no way were people thinking of him as "a franchise QB" leading up to the draft.

http://www.sfgate.co...p#ixzz2JHeCJ9Dk

Edited by Kelly the Dog

With the Iggles being my favorite NFC team, I've been passively following Kolb since he was drafted. I was fully on board with cutting ties with Fitz, so my opinion on the Kolb signing was that it was an upgrade to the position. I just finished up listening to his interview on the John Murphy show tonight, and I have to say that there is a clear contrast between him and Fitz in terms of their personalities. Listening to KK, it was striking how much he reminded me of Jimbo. (And before some of you hosers jump all over me for saying that, chill...I'm not saying he's the second coming of Jimbo.) I was very impressed with how well he seems to already know about the players - not just who they are, but their backgrounds. He came off very positive, but also very balanced in his assessment of the three days of this OTA. Most importantly, he struck me as a natural leader, which is something I felt was lacking with Fitz both on and off the field.

It was kind of funny to hear how excited he got when describing Spiller's and Fred's blitz pick-up abilities. It was almost like you could feel how stressful it was to be behind that line in Arizona, and that seeing backs that are adept at blocking was a breath of fresh air for the guy. He also spoke as if he was assuming he's the starter, and I have to say that I respect that. I want a guy who views himself that way, at least until he proves otherwise. He seems to love the approach that Coach Hackett and Coach Marrone are taking, and I was convinced that he is really glad to be here.

I'm still hoping for Nassib or Wilson to end up in Buffalo by the end of next week, but Kolb has me already feeling much better about the QB spot. Whether he'll pan out or not remains to be seen, but IMO he's definitely saying all the right things.

I did not hear the interview, so thanks for the recap/perspective ... the conventional wisdom in Bills Country was that Fitz would have made a good backup/mentor to a newly drafted young buck - but only if #14 would restructure. But as it played out, I understand why, from Fitz's perspective, he wanted to go elsewhere for a fresh start. He probably would not have been given a reasonable enough chance to win the job here with the new staff, and the fanbase has pretty much seen enough of his "mediocre-with-streaks-of-competent" play.

And so here we are with Kolb, a hungry vet who seems similar in some ways to Fitzy, but who already comes across as a stronger leader than Fitz. Remains to be seen, but to me he is a guy who will certainly ensure that any greenhorn we select will need to be ready for prime time, or they must watch and learn.

But if Nassib/Barkley/whomever we pluck makes like Tannehill & shows enough early on to face the Pats on opening day, we can also say that we definitely have a solid veteran backup at a reasonable price (Tavaris Jackson notwithstanding) that will help shorten the rookie's learning curve.

Me likey, Buddy. Now show us the damn baby-faced QB!

I did not hear the interview, so thanks for the recap/perspective ... the conventional wisdom in Bills Country was that Fitz would have made a good backup/mentor to a newly drafted young buck - but only if #14 would restructure. But as it played out, I understand why, from Fitz's perspective, he wanted to go elsewhere for a fresh start. He probably would not have been given a reasonable enough chance to win the job here with the new staff, and the fanbase has pretty much seen enough of his "mediocre-with-streaks-of-competent" play.

And so here we are with Kolb, a hungry vet who seems similar in some ways to Fitzy, but who already comes across as a stronger leader than Fitz. Remains to be seen, but to me he is a guy who will certainly ensure that any greenhorn we select will need to be ready for prime time, or they must watch and learn.

But if Nassib/Barkley/whomever we pluck makes like Tannehill & shows enough early on to face the Pats on opening day, we can also say that we definitely have a solid veteran backup at a reasonable price (Tavaris Jackson notwithstanding) that will help shorten the rookie's learning curve.

Me likey, Buddy. Now show us the damn baby-faced QB!

Your post reminded me of the other answer he gave that I liked...John asked him flat out what Kolb thinks about the fact that the Bills are going to use a high pick on a QB next week. He basically said that he was in the same position when he was drafted by the Eagles, so he'll be able to relate his own experience to help out the rook. You would just never guess the guy has only been here a short time. I think that's the overarching reason why I was so impressed with this interview, cause he's clearly made a strong effort to integrate himself into this team and forge out a leadership role even in only a few weeks or whatever it's been. He seems to be very sharp and ready to work.

Didn't he start 4-0 last season until injury? With Levitre gone I wonder how successful the O-Line will be this year? If they do grab Warmack or Cooper 1st round would b nice; but, still takes time for the O-Line to gel.

were returning four of five starters, and have three more guys with in game experience. I loved Levitre, but I'm not that worried about time to gel.

I heard it a couple weeks ago. Harbaugh was one who said it himself. Luck was at some camp with a QB guru in the off season. He was talking to Harbaugh on the phone after it and Harbaugh asked him if anyone there impressed him. Luck said yeah, that Kap had a cannon and was very, very good. Harbaugh immediately went to work him out in person and fell in love with him as a prospect, and then they drafted him soon thereafter. It's very likely they never would have had him rated that highly without Luck's observation, phone call, and Harbaugh immediately going to work him out in person.

EDIT: Okay, here is a story on it. It's a little different than the story I heard but in effect, the same thing. The Luck/Harbaugh conversation was the year before. But that's why Harbaugh had been following Kap closely and why he went to work him out when he wasn't that hot of a prospect.

It also shows that Kaepernick was not that hot of a prospect around the league and no way were people thinking of him as "a franchise QB" leading up to the draft.

http://www.sfgate.co...p#ixzz2JHeCJ9Dk

thanks...cool read

And so here we are with Kolb, a hungry vet who seems similar in some ways to Fitzy, but who already comes across as a stronger leader than Fitz.

I've heard this a few times, so maybe I'm missing something. What are you basing this on? What opportunity has he had to demonstrate this to you?

I've heard this a few times, so maybe I'm missing something. What are you basing this on? What opportunity has he had to demonstrate this to you?

Neither ajzepp nor I could possibly have anything concrete that could prove this for you. The thread is titled "Kolb on John Murphy: Impressions"

I am only going by what I saw: his presser when he officially signed his contract. It's really just my opinion, formed as I watched how he handled himself w/ the questions from Buffalo media thus far. And the words right after the boldface of your quote of me do say "remains to be seen"

If you have not done so, go to the Bills website and watch his presser ... see what you think of him.

Arizona in 12 had the worst set of tackles in NFL history. That's why there is a shread of hope Kolb can be serviceable.

And the reason why Carson Palmer shouldn't be drafted in fantasy leagues.

op

Optimism is great. My take, fitz led, not enough tools to compete. Kevin Kolb , maybe he can lead, also has limited tools. Won't get it done at the Ralph in Nov and Dec. Talk is cheap and the Bills are awful. Not drinking any kool aid until I see some wins ....and by that I mean at least 10.

Edited by billsfan_34

odd. spiller has been a pretty large liability on passing downs. he has generally been terrible at even chipping a guy. i am curious if spiller has the ability to find the ability to find the blitzer but lacks the ability to do anything about it.

i have always been a proponent of the idea that spiller's lack of touches are due to his ineffectiveness in pass protection, that with spiller in the backfield it limited our ability to change the play at the line.

odd. spiller has been a pretty large liability on passing downs. he has generally been terrible at even chipping a guy. i am curious if spiller has the ability to find the ability to find the blitzer but lacks the ability to do anything about it.

i have always been a proponent of the idea that spiller's lack of touches are due to his ineffectiveness in pass protection, that with spiller in the backfield it limited our ability to change the play at the line.

IMO, he was terrible at it as a rookie, poor at it his second year, pretty decent at it last year. He's willing, he was just bad at it when he started. He should be fine this year.

I think he made significant strides in blitz pick-up last season. It was a big (over-scrutinized) issue with him from his rookie season but not last year. It's hard to find pluses in a year like the Bills had last season, but this was one. Cj is a 3 down back who can do it all, IMO.

Like Hank said, Kolb just comes off completely differently when he's speaking and responding to questions than Fitz did. IMO, it's a pretty stark contrast. I liked Fitzy, but I never really felt he had that "take it by the balls" mentality. Kolb may end up being a total nancy girl on the field, but the guy just talks like a winner who is invested in this team as a leader. I think we all know that talk is cheap, but right now it's all we have to go on, really. It's just refreshing to me to have someone with a little passion and drive behind center, and especially after a season that really tried my patience from a fan's perspective, it's encouraging to me to hear Kolb's take on things so far.

For those who have commented on the blitz pick up thing, that was just something Kolb pointed out during the interview. He talked about one play in particular where someone came off the edge and was picked up by Freddy or CJ (I forget which), which clearly made a huge impression on him. He didn't come out and say that his line in Arizona sucked, but to me it was clear from the things he said and the way he said them that he was very impressed with the way the offense is being installed and the abilities of those around him.