Question for Anyone Who Trolls Other Boards . . .

Ennjay

I worry that the Bills will draft a mediocre-to-poor QB at #8, declare him to be the franchise guy, and waste three more years because they feel "committed" to him. Meanwhile we're now reading that Buddy thinks there's a good (franchise?) QB to be found this year, which just reinforces what I'm worried about.

My question: do any other GM's or scouts or teams say anything positive about this year's QB group? Or is Buddy alone out on this limb while he's prepping his own fans?

Serious answers only please. Thanks.

I worry that the Bills will draft a mediocre-to-poor QB at #8, declare him to be the franchise guy, and waste three more years because they feel "committed" to him. Meanwhile we're now reading that Buddy thinks there's a good (franchise?) QB to be found this year, which just reinforces what I'm worried about.

My question: do any other GM's or scouts or teams say anything positive about this year's QB group? Or is Buddy alone out on this limb while he's prepping his own fans?

Serious answers only please. Thanks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/18/jets-college-scouting-director-pumps-up-qb-class/

I go to theganggreen forum sometimes, because it's disturbingly similar to this board. General consensus would be about half of the fans thinking it's smart to take a QB, half saying no. Very very similar to here. I don't know what their GM says, however, I haven't seen anything.

I agree. Next year's QB class will be superior to this one. BILLS will then have an average QB not a franchise difference maker. I see this team being middle of the pack until they realize they need to get a superior QB talent,

I agree. Next year's QB class will be superior to this one. BILLS will then have an average QB not a franchise difference maker. I see this team being middle of the pack until they realize they need to get a superior QB talent,

Is that right? To be fair Barkley and Landry Jones were highly coveted throughout the years. Folks were talking about how they couldn't wait to get their hands on Wilson from Arkansas when I was barking for Mallett to be drafted by Buffalo.

In hindsight the next class always looks better. Unless you are Andre Woodson or Javon Snead. Guys who were highly talked about and folks couldn't wait until their draft year. Then their draft comes around and what happened?

You can not always assume next years class will be better. Just like the guys I mentioned above were highly touted and fell off, the same can happen with Bridgewater and Johnny Football.

i.e. just as an example what if this played out

Bridgewater- Decided to return for his senior year with Louisville. Thus, there goes the class's top QB.

Johnny Football- Not fully invested in becoming the best. A lot of Matt Leinart here. A kid who is more concerned with the after party than the game it self. JOhnny has shown some of that mentality early in his career. I mean the kid is already picking fights with graduate assistants over a silly spring practice INT. Plus being 6'1" is not going to help.

Tajh Boyd- Well no one was talking about this guy before the LSU game. Now, the bar is high and the 6'1" Boyd leaves scouts wanting more. Doesn't display great touch/accuracy on deep to intermediate routes. Not as elusive as Manziel or Russell Wilson so his height will be a factor...

Now, I am not saying any of that is true or that is what I think about those guys. I am just making a point of what can happen to next years class. The same way those things have happened to other players in the past. More notable and topical are what we are seeing with Barkley and Landry Jones.

There is intelligent life on this board after all.

I think the Bills need to be willing to draft a QB two years in a row. If the QB they draft plays like Wilson, RGIII, or Luck then they are all set. If the QB they draft shows promise but it is not obvious that they will be a "franchise QB" then the bills can't pass on a blue chip QB prospect if one if available to them in next year's draft. If both QBs turn into great QBs they can simply trade one of them. If the one fails, at least the other might succeed. The Bills have passed on several good QBs in the past because they thought they had one on the roster with potential. Like when they passed on Cutler because they had Lossman and when they passed on Flacco because they had Edwards. They can't make that mistake again.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

Does anyone remember when Brian Brohm was going to be the #1 pick "next year"? How about Jake Locker? Matt Barkley?

I fully agree that there are no guarantees in waiting for next year's class.

LMAO.. I'm so tired of this lame argument.

There will be 2-3 QB's in this draft that have rock solid NFL career.

no reason why we can't take a QB this year and if one rates better next year take that one 2. You can always trade a solid asset later on.

LMAO.. I'm so tired of this lame argument.

There will be 2-3 QB's in this draft that have rock solid NFL career.

no reason why we can't take a QB this year and if one rates better next year take that one 2. You can always trade a solid asset later on.

Don't take a QB in 2014! 2015 will have a ridiculous draft class!

I agree. Every other team in the QB hunt last year got 2 QB's either in the draft or FA. Matt Flynn and Wilson. Cousins and RG3. No reason the Bills can't either. I'm against the "Take a QB in every round" argument, however. Unless 4 of those QB's play different positions, we simply have to many holes to fill, even with the next Manning on our squad. The last thing I wanna see is our QB have a meltdown in week 5 because he can't carry the entire team.

Two years ago Barkley and Jones were just waiting to pick up their Heismans. Now Barkley could go in the 2nd round and Jones in the 4th.

no reason why we can't take a QB this year and if one rates better next year take that one 2.

I agree that's what they should do. But I don't think they'll do it.

There is a distinct difference from a QB who can win enough to get you in the playoffs and a QB who can win you championships. This class is more 2007 than 1982. 2007 had JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn leading that bunch. Not one QB in that class is considered a franchise QB.

There is a distinct difference from a QB who can win enough to get you in the playoffs and a QB who can win you championships. This class is more 2007 than 1982. 2007 had JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn leading that bunch. Not one QB in that class is considered a franchise QB.

And you base this on what? Your personal scouting of this present QB class or what some blogger says?

Whats so great about the 1982 class? Art Schlichter, Jim McMahon, Oliver Luck, and Matt Kofler (Buf) were the only QB taken in rounds 1-3.

I worry that the Bills will draft a mediocre-to-poor QB at #8, declare him to be the franchise guy, and waste three more years because they feel "committed" to him.

With the rookie salary scale in place, there's really no reason anymore for a franchise to become wedded to a 1st-round QB.

The Bills should draft a QB at 8 this year, and if he doesn't work out, go back to the well again next year in the 1st-round. Keep doing it until you get it right. QB is too important not to have a good one.

The Bills may indeed commit to a bad QB for 3+ years, but that would be due to their own buffoonery, not to today's market realities.

Hit it and quit it is the new reality.