Aaron Williams moved to Safety

Nah. Gilmore and McLuv'n are set at the corners, with Brooks as the nickle. Any dime or reserve help can come via the later rounds.

That said, do they rely as much on Leodis in the return game now that he has full-time starting responsibilities? That will be interesting to watch at SJF...

I love how McKelvin went from a guy who couldn't hold a starting job on two separate occasions to someone who we are "set" with as a starter without doing anything on the field to earn it.

IMO, the Bills have one starting caliber CB. I'd be looking for a CB in the top 3 rounds, no question.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving Williams to safety is not cause for celebration. It's further indictment that talent evaluation, at least in the 2011 draft, ain't what it was cracked up to be. What makes it worse is two now starting QB's were taken directly behind Williams and neither team felt the need to trade up in front of Buffalo to take them. I'm not sure how they knew or whether they just have great poker faces.

IMO, moving a CB to S is like moving an OT to G. The former positions are harder to find, and moving them to the latter is an indication the player needs help. Nix drafted Williams to play CB and the new coaching staff is saying he can't play there after only 2 NFL seasons. They can't get rid of Nix soon enough.

without doing anything on the field to earn it.

Leodis played very, very well in his late season starts before his groin injury. Shockingly well and it had me wondering aloud "Why the hell did it take this guy 4.5 years to learn how to do this???" I say this as a person that wanted to outright cut the guy 3 years ago. But I would understand if you didn't watch the 2nd half of last season.

The answer is they didn't know. If they knew how good those 2 QBs would be, they would have taken them in the 1st round.

Not quite. Those teams, Cincinnati and San Francisco (both with 2 playoff appearances in 2011-12) picked A.J. Green and Aldon Smith respectively with their first round picks. I'd say they had a better handle on the draft than most teams did and managed to get outstanding value thus far with their top two selections.

Edited by BillsVet

Moving Williams to safety is not cause for celebration. It's further indictment that talent evaluation, at least in the 2011 draft, ain't what it was cracked up to be. What makes it worse is two now starting QB's were taken directly behind Williams and neither team felt the need to trade up in front of Buffalo to take them. I'm not sure how they knew or whether they just have great poker faces.

IMO, moving a CB to S is like moving an OT to G. The former positions are harder to find, and moving them to the latter is an indication the player needs help. Nix drafted Williams to play CB and the new coaching staff is saying he can't play there after only 2 NFL seasons. They can't get rid of Nix soon enough.

:thumbsup: His next move will be out the door...

you knew the move to safety was coming....no big surprise.....

do the bills now take Dee Milliner if he's there at #8 ?

I think that even though many, many people saw the logic in moving AW to safety, it was no lock that the Bills would also see logic and act on it. It is refreshing to see them making sound logical decisions IMO.

It seems to me that it is only certain Bills fans who believe that there is a legitimate and generally accepted strategy in attempting to find 2 pro-bowl level CBs using ones best draft picks before addressing other areas of need.

Not quite. Those teams, Cincinnati and San Francisco (both with 2 playoff appearances in 2011-12) picked A.J. Green and Aldon Smith respectively with their first round picks. I'd say they had a better handle on the draft than most teams did and managed to get outstanding value thus far with their top two selections.

I'm not questioning the outstanding value they got with their top two selections, I'm questioning your implication that they "knew" the Bills wouldn't draft a QB. They knew nothing of the sort, let's not tinfoil hat this situation up.

Leodis played very, very well in his late season starts before his groin injury. Shockingly well and it had me wondering aloud "Why the hell did it take this guy 4.5 years to learn how to do this???" I say this as a person that wanted to outright cut the guy 3 years ago. But I would understand if you didn't watch the 2nd half of last season.

I hope you're right but it was only 4 games out of a 5 year career and I would characterize his play as decent (1 int and 3 passes defended) not shockingly well. Edited by vincec

I think the chances of this happening are viable. Presumably, Milliner will be off the board at #8. I wonder if they would take a shot at Xavier Rhodes?

Only if they can trade down. They still have a hole at OG, TE and WR not to mention LB and CB...Sigh....so many holes and only 6 picks.

A smaller less talented version of Adam "Pacman" Jones? No thanks.

On second thought, he's only failed 10 drug tests, so he obviously learns from his mistakes and is willing to put his career above drugs...

I think he is different from Pacman in that he is WAAAAAAY too stoned to hurt anybody.

I definitely agree that it's okay to take a chance on a guy, but I'd rather it be on a guy like Travis Kelce (just an example) who made 1 isolated mistake that hurt his team, as opposed to a guy like Mathieu who, seemingly, just can't get the message. Again, my opinion on him would likely be different if this team contended for the Superbowl every year, but as a team that can't even get to the dance, they can't afford to invest draft picks on guys who have that kind of history.

Agreed. You can't tell a guy to get with the program until there is a program to get with. I don't have any specific examples to cite, but the Ravens struck me as a team where a guy with a few red flags could come in, see the serious dedication they had to the game, and fall in line. The Bills have been anything but that kind of team. And I don't think it necessarily works when the number of guys with issues reaches a critical mass, but the Bengals have made the playoffs more than the Bills. A lot more. Isn't that sad?

This move is an indictment of William's ability to play corner - but it doesn't mean he won't be an exceptional Safety. He was viewed, coming out of college, as a better Safety prospect - and his measurables are almost identical to Vacarro's - who is viewed at a top 15 pick. This is just Pettine looking over the roster and finding ways to maximize talent. I saw this coming, as most of us did, since December.

I'm psyched about it. For me, I count it as another high draft pick this year, that we'd otherwise written off as a bust. If Byrd gets into camp we could very well end up with one of the youngest, most elite Safety tandems in the NFL. I think this moves makes taking a CB high a better priority, if only because IF we were to get one of the top CB's in this draft, or a sleeper who turns out very good, we'd have one of the most formidable secondaries in the NFL. Heck, one top CB, one good (2nd, or lucky 3rd round pick) ILB, and we're a very talented defense.

This move is an indictment of William's ability to play corner - but it doesn't mean he won't be an exceptional Safety. He was viewed, coming out of college, as a better Safety prospect - and his measurables are almost identical to Vacarro's - who is viewed at a top 15 pick. This is just Pettine looking over the roster and finding ways to maximize talent. I saw this coming, as most of us did, since December.

I'm psyched about it. For me, I count it as another high draft pick this year, that we'd otherwise written off as a bust. If Byrd gets into camp we could very well end up with one of the youngest, most elite Safety tandems in the NFL. I think this moves makes taking a CB high a better priority, if only because IF we were to get one of the top CB's in this draft, or a sleeper who turns out very good, we'd have one of the most formidable secondaries in the NFL. Heck, one top CB, one good (2nd, or lucky 3rd round pick) ILB, and we're a very talented defense.

Most elite safety tandem? Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

I love the move, I just don't like the timing. What's the harm in waiting until after the draft to make this announcement? Buddy Nix is completely clueless. Instead of other teams thinking we need safety help now they know we need corner help. What a moron!

Edited by NoJustice

oh oh If Dee Milliner slips to 8...... do I need to say the rest?

Cornerback 2 years in a row in the first round?

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little :sick:

i agree but i don't know if we have a very talented D but I think think we got some coaches that know what they are doing...

Most elite safety tandem? Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

I love the move, I just don't like the timing. What's the harm in waiting until after the draft to make this announcement? Buddy Nix is completely clueless. Instead of other teams thinking we need safety help now they know we need corner help. What a moron!

It's been blatantly obvious that teams have known we've needed both safety and CB since the beginning of last season. This move didn't show anybody anything that wasn't already known. Indeed, the move has been anticipated for a while.

GO BILLS!!!

A. Williams at SS?

Me no likey.

Stop with the musical chairs already. Why not draft a guy with an impressive body of work specifically for that position... IMO, DJ Swearinger is the best SS prospect in this draft. Better than Vaccaro, or Rambo. I doubt whether Williams can make an impact at this position.