Aaron Williams moved to Safety

This move is an indictment of William's ability to play corner - but it doesn't mean he won't be an exceptional Safety. He was viewed, coming out of college, as a better Safety prospect - and his measurables are almost identical to Vacarro's - who is viewed at a top 15 pick. This is just Pettine looking over the roster and finding ways to maximize talent. I saw this coming, as most of us did, since December.

I'm psyched about it. For me, I count it as another high draft pick this year, that we'd otherwise written off as a bust. If Byrd gets into camp we could very well end up with one of the youngest, most elite Safety tandems in the NFL. I think this moves makes taking a CB high a better priority, if only because IF we were to get one of the top CB's in this draft, or a sleeper who turns out very good, we'd have one of the most formidable secondaries in the NFL. Heck, one top CB, one good (2nd, or lucky 3rd round pick) ILB, and we're a very talented defense.

Well as Billsvet pointed out, the Aaron Williams selection really hasn't worked out so far.

The best-case scenario for Williams is something along the lines of what happened to Antrel Rolle who was drafted 8th overall as a cornerback after a great career at Miami.

He sucked as an NFL corner and was moved to safety where he's made a few Pro Bowls and is considered a very solid safety.

It's not too late for Williams to turn his career around and this seems to be a good way to try to do that.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving Williams to safety is not cause for celebration. It's further indictment that talent evaluation, at least in the 2011 draft, ain't what it was cracked up to be. What makes it worse is two now starting QB's were taken directly behind Williams and neither team felt the need to trade up in front of Buffalo to take them. I'm not sure how they knew or whether they just have great poker faces.

IMO, moving a CB to S is like moving an OT to G. The former positions are harder to find, and moving them to the latter is an indication the player needs help. Nix drafted Williams to play CB and the new coaching staff is saying he can't play there after only 2 NFL seasons. They can't get rid of Nix soon enough.

Sure it is cause for celebration. I for one celebrate he won't be playing corner any more. He perpetually failed in man to man coverage...

I am not sure i can blame nix for playing people out of position. Hindsight is easy but there are plenty of head scratchers.... Spiller as a wr, Dickerson as a full back, Scott as a linebacker, who can forget spencer Johnson as a linebacker last year.... Remember that rediculous stint Levitre had at center for the dolphins game in 2011??

If the new regime is going to try and rearrange roles to squeeze whatever they can out of the current roster while adding their own guys, I am all for it. April is the best part of the season for the last 2 decades...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Sure it is cause for celebration. I for one celebrate he won't be playing corner any more. He perpetually failed in man to man coverage...

I am not sure i can blame nix for playing people out of position. Hindsight is easy but there are plenty of head scratchers.... Spiller as a wr, Dickerson as a full back, Scott as a linebacker, who can forget spencer Johnson as a linebacker last year.... Remember that rediculous stint Levitre had at center for the dolphins game in 2011??

If the new regime is going to try and rearrange roles to squeeze whatever they can out of the current roter while adding their own guys, I am all for it.

Although these moves weren't made during this regime's tenure, but the moves of Wilson to safety and Peters to LT were very successful.

Although these moves weren't made during this regime's tenure, but the moves of Wilson to safety and Peters to LT were very successful.

I feel like Wilson had exactly one good season... But irrespective of that if you point is Williams might be successful like Wilson and peters were. I see that. My point was the most recent previous coaching staff seemed to play people out of position, A williams possibly being the next example assuming he can look competent at safety.