Aaron Williams moved to Safety

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he being moved to free or strong safety? Does the timing of this have anything to do with what's going on with Byrd right now?

1] In general terms he would be a strong safety, competing against Searcy for the starting job depending on who they sign or draft.

2] Pettine's defense, from what I have seen and read, uses the safeties as somewhat interchangeable, but usually one guy will be more toward the box and that would likely be the Williams role.

3] Pettine also likes to use three safeties on passing downs so AW will figure to be one of those guys.

4] I think the Byrd contract has something to do with it, but not any more than 5-6 other things had to do with it. To me, a lot of stuff just happened...

5] Since this a new coach and DC and scheme, the new coaches have spent the last couple months going through every play the Bills players made and likely finished that evaluation recently. so for the first time, Pettine and his staff have an idea of AW's strengths and weakness from their personal grades.

6] The team was probably interested in some FA that they either decided weren't worth it or signed with other teams or for whatever reason, a few weeks into free agency they have a better feeling for the roster. They didn't add a safety so they need one.

7] The start of the OTAs are coming up and this decision needs to be made before they get going to get Williams ready.

8] The draft is coming up and they very much need to know if they have one more safety or one less CB, etc, to help decide who to draft.

9] Byrd is now going to be here for at least a year but they don't know how long and MAY have to replace him. AW needs to start playing safety now so they know a year from now whether he can perhaps handle it which could influence how much they are willing to pay Byrd.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Actually, yes, you could.

99% of guys find a way not to fail drug tests every year; the fact that this guy failed 10+ is a gigantic red flag. To me, it says that football is not a priority to him; I don't want to draft a guy like that.

Setting that aside for a minute, this guy was away from football for what, more than a calendar year? During that time, the guy can't get in the gym enough to show off his stuff at the first possible opportunity? Again, to me that says the guy doesn't make football a priority, and I don't want to draft a guy like that.

UDFA? Sure.

I hear you....and your point is not lost on me. But how many non-playmaking choirboys do the Bills have to draft before we take a chance? I don't even know if I like the guy as a player, but the drug tests don't scare me. How many drug tests did Chris Carter fail before his HOF career took off? Edited by JPS

Not so fast. They might be looking for Byrd's replacement.

Beat me to it. Maybe this lends credence to the idea that Byrd may be moved this year. They need to sign Byrd before camp or get something for him.

I hear you....and your point is not lost on me. But how many non-playmaking choirboys do the Bills have to draft before we take a chance? I don't even know if I like the guy as a player, but the drug tests don't scare me. How many drug tests did Chris Carter fail before his HOF career took off?

I definitely agree that it's okay to take a chance on a guy, but I'd rather it be on a guy like Travis Kelce (just an example) who made 1 isolated mistake that hurt his team, as opposed to a guy like Mathieu who, seemingly, just can't get the message. Again, my opinion on him would likely be different if this team contended for the Superbowl every year, but as a team that can't even get to the dance, they can't afford to invest draft picks on guys who have that kind of history.

I definitely agree that it's okay to take a chance on a guy, but I'd rather it be on a guy like Travis Kelce (just an example) who made 1 isolated mistake that hurt his team, as opposed to a guy like Mathieu who, seemingly, just can't get the message. Again, my opinion on him would likely be different if this team contended for the Superbowl every year, but as a team that can't even get to the dance, they can't afford to invest draft picks on guys who have that kind of history.

Depends on the round. 4th or lower....I say why not. I like Kelce. Ya know he scored 2 TDs against Marrone this year....

Good move. CB is now much more in play

I agree, sooner than later, as there is a lot of CB's in RD2 that'd fit what Pettine's trying to do.

We still might take Shamarko Thomas if he falls to RD5, unlikely.

Some might say that's all the more reason to take chances like that.

you knew the move to safety was coming....no big surprise.....

do the bills now take Dee Milliner if he's there at #8 ?

Unless they love a QB there, then yes, they would most likely grab Milliner at 8 if available.

A smaller less talented version of Adam "Pacman" Jones? No thanks.

On second thought, he's only failed 10 drug tests, so he obviously learns from his mistakes and is willing to put his career above drugs...

Edited by Ludwig van

Great!! Now the Bills can draft another loser CB in one of the first two rounds! Let's add another RB with one of our first two picks as well. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Ithink a number of us hoped we would move A&W to safety for both Bills, Bills fans, and him. A chance to succeed,

and hell bells man , he needs to work out well for us since we spent that valued draft pick on him.

Maybe less of us expected it.

Great move by the organization on a couple levels. Darn smart is the most important one.

The kid might well nail it playing in Mikes D.

Aaron is taking it well and thats a good sign.

I think he will be an asset or better because of this coaching style and scheme. And Williams natural physical talent.