Tebow as Fullback and Special Teams Captain

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is there is no negative effect of having Tebow if you get him for dirt cheap and everybody knows he will almost never play except for a few spots as a gimmick player. He is getting closer and closer to the point where someone can have him on those terms. But he is not there yet.

There IS a negative effect to signing Tebow. First, there's the media. Even if everyone in-house decided Tebow was NOT competing for the QB spot, that he'd have only a small contributing part in things, the media would continue to pursue it. That is a distraction, especially for a team like Buffalo who looks to be bringing in a rookie QB. Why have that potential hanging over a young kid's shoulders? Tebow, also, wants to be a QB. He'll always be saying, "give me a shot, I can get it done". There's too much of a chance for that to become a locker room issue. Marrone is trying to build a tight team here. I was really pleased to hear he insisted that the players were there for each other, that they were playing to win for each other - that is a very smart way to approach things.

Just a thought...Since we lost McIntyre, what do you guys think if we could get him for a 6th or 7th round pick...Or even wait and just pick him up....

would be worth it but he may opt to play QB in Canada or something before playing FB. I also think he would make a great TE but who knows.

I really think we should pick up Peyton Hillis for FB, the position he played at Arkansas, he is also tough physical runner and would be lethal out in the flats. It would be almost as good as having Mike Alstott back there.

A few questions:

1. Why would we trade a pick for a special teams player, esp. to a division rival, and esp considering he'll be released anyway?

2. He is a really, really, really bad QB, but some not-so-bright Bills fans will still ask for him to play QB, creating a controversy of idiocy. Is that really desirable?

3. There's a guy - CMac, that already does this better than Tebow, and could come back cheaper. Why choose Tebow over a guy that does it better?

4. Just because Tebow is a really good guy, is it worth it?

And an answer:

1. No, we shouldn't do it. Great guy, bad football player, distraction to a young team.

Man, I read this post and all I see is regurgitated negative banter. The media MUST be right about everyone they report on. Why is everyone so blind to the fact that the dude is a straight up winner, a leader and a high character guy. All he has ever done in his football career is win. So he had a bad game here and there...who doesn't? The kid deserves a shot...a real shot, not some gimmicky bs. What I see is that you are all telling me, even in the current state of the Bills' roster, he has no shot to legitimately compete...Against Kolb, T. Jackson and Aaron Corp...really?

Having said all that, I would not want him in the capacity the OP states. Bring him in to the mix @ QB, why not? Please, give me something original rather than the redundancy fueled by the "pro's" in the media

Edited by Armchair GM

If handled properly by Marrone, Tebow could be the best combo player EVER. We have massive holes on offense, defense and ST. He can fill several of those holes thereby freeing up the Bills to draft the BPA with each pick. I'll ignore ST because Tebow could handle any position on the field with the exception of punter/kicker. He might be able to punt/kick but I haven't seen any evidence (maybe i do remember a pooch punt in the recent past, someone help me on this).

Positions he can fill:

backup QB

fullback

TE

H-back

Slot WR

3-4 OLB

4-3 OLB

Unless I'm missing something that's 7 positions you could fill with one player. I don't see him playing defense full time, more of spot duty to give someone a chance to get their wind back. Sign Tebow and cut Smith.

Tebow needs a LARGE helping of humble pie before he will accept he is not a NFL level QB or will need to go to CFL to prove he is despite his shortcomings.

I think he is humble enough, but the "problem" is that he had enough success in Denver that he thinks (and many fans think) that he can be a starter for many years in this league.

But the real problem is that he's not the stereotypical NFL-style QB, so no team wants to invest in him as their starter. He's a QB in a linebacker/fullback/tight end body, so teams would only take a chance on him to play one of those positions, even though he doesn't want to. While his teams win games, they also give coaches headaches and gray hair while doing so - he doesn't put up the numbers or move the ball until he absolutely has to (i.e., the 4th quarter when they're down by 10 points). He would need to be on a team with a very good defense that keeps them in the game, which is hard to rely on. He then gets the love from the fans because he pulls a game out of his ass and wins it, so the fans and media are all over the head coach about why he doesn't start. Tricky situation...

If he was willing to accept a backup QB role and an occasional wildcat-type play (which is on the way out, if you ask me), then he can be in a good spot and know his role on that team and be successful. The thing is that he's too competitive to accept something like that - he's won games with an elite college program and an NFL team, so why would he want to accept a backup role?

While I'm sure he's a great guy and wonderful teammate, I wouldn't want him on my team for these reasons.

Just a thought...Since we lost McIntyre, what do you guys think if we could get him for a 6th or 7th round pick...Or even wait and just pick him up....

Timmy has yet to come to the realization that he cannot play QB in the NFL. Bottom line. NO!!!

Tebow is a distraction, he brought it on himself and I look forward to the day he is out of the league.

he chose to be a polarizing figure, and nobody really wants him for a reason. the Jets will have to cut him, and even if he is cut and offers to play for free I don't want him.

Is Tebow a good blocker? I've never seen him be a lead blocker on running plays. Do you honestly think he's going to sign with a team as a fullback?

Man, I read this post and all I see is regurgitated negative banter. The media MUST be right about everyone they report on. Why is everyone so blind to the fact that the dude is a straight up winner, a leader and a high character guy. All he has ever done in his football career is win. So he had a bad game here and there...who doesn't? The kid deserves a shot...a real shot, not some gimmicky bs. What I see is that you are all telling me, even in the current state of the Bills' roster, he has no shot to legitimately compete...Against Kolb, T. Jackson and Aaron Corp...really?

Having said all that, I would not want him in the capacity the OP states. Bring him in to the mix @ QB, why not? Please, give me something original rather than the redundancy fueled by the "pro's" in the media.

Is the media responsible for the fact that no NFL team wants Tebow?

Pass...no need to have the circus in town. We will lose 2 games and people will be clamouring to move him to his "natural position". I actually like Tebow but have zero desire to have him on my team. I have a feeling that he will not be on a roster when the season starts.

The media wouldn't be able to find him in Buffalo.

Is the media responsible for the fact that no NFL team wants Tebow?

Revis too.

Tebow should really go to a place like Jacksonville where he would be a huge draw even for limited action as a qb. He didn't get much chance to show anything in New York. Buffalo? I think the Bills have enough problems and I suspect he would be more of a distraction than a help. I hope he finds his niche and has a good career, but I don't think we are the team to take a chance on him.

Well I think his day's as a starting QB or maybe even a 2nd string QB are done...He has the drive to play in this league with a killer work ethic...Other players have switched positions with success...I can see him leading a special teams and playing some fullback/tight end...No desire to see him as QB...I think it could work :)