The new tone at OBD: What they're saying

IMO the greatest motivation a coach provides is the complete confidence and trust of his players that he will put them in a position to win.

You can say players play for money or love of sport or pride or fear of failure or whatever but no player likes to lose and players will work harder if they know that greater effort will lead to victory. They will play harder if they know their coach is competent and gives them the blueprint for success.

A player's greatest motivation is confidence and belief in the coaches, teammates and the system.

If you watched the Bills last year (especially on defense), you saw what happens to players who have zero faith in the coaching staff. Even players of the highest character will fail to give maximum effort.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the greatest motivation a coach provides is the complete confidence and trust of his players that he will put them in a position to win.

You can say players play for money or love of sport or pride or fear of failure or whatever but no player likes to lose and players will work harder if they know that greater effort will lead to victory. They will play harder if they know their coach is competent and gives them the blueprint for success.

A player's greatest motivation is confidence and belief in the coaches, teammates and the system.

If you watched the Bills last year (especially on defense), you saw what happens to players who have zero faith in the coaching staff. Even players of the highest character will fail to give maximum effort.

No question. IMO, we get so wrapped up in FA signings (or lack thereof) and who will they take in the draft that we forget the biggest free agency signing of all.....a new coaching staff.

Its easy to say...we've been down this road before...no luck. True. But...this is the 1st time in a while we've gone with some fresh new non-re-tread blood at the coaching position. Rightly or wrongly I have a good feeling about it.

Think positive fellas, think positive !!

I wanna see this team of no-names shock the hell right out of the NFL. It could happen !!

jb

RE: Jauron, his defenses were light years better than the crap we've trotted out since he's left. Hate the scheme all you want, at the very least it kept opponents from marching up and down the field at will.

--But more importantly, I don't know what relevance your latter points have to...anything...in this thread so far--The relevance is to show to that all these things that you say are "new" with the current coaching staff are not new at all but are just repeats of the same things we've hear before and that every new coach says.

RE: Tempo, practice speed and meeting energy have absolutely nothing to do with FO activity. How can you possibly judge team tempo, practice speed and meeting energy? They haven't played a game or had a practice yet. Have you been attending some of their meetings?

RE: Energy and excitement, I'm talking about personnel, not fans. Again, how is this different from what we've heard earlier?

I just don't see any new news here that would lead me to believe that there is a "new tone at OBD" which, I assumed, was the point of your thread since it's the title.

Edited by vincec

Great and extremely well put post.

That's why Bill Parcells had so many quick turnarounds to his credit.

The players just totally believed in his program because he had the rings to show for it.

No first time coach can have that kind of blind followership.

God, the Bills need that. The Jets team that Parcells turned around was as bad an organization as the Bills have become.

Cowher was the Bills best chance at a Parcells flip. He went out on top, and that's what players remember.

Thats very true. But ive also been around some seriously gifted athletes who just didnt want it. Some guys just dont give damn. Nothing is worse than wasted talent and it used to make me so angry because I wast a guy born w the ability to run a 4.5. Look at some of the guys in college or the NFL who throw their career away for drugs or crime. Or all these guys that come into the combine with superhuman athletic ability - they either arent smart enough to make it, or they dont want it bad enough.

The players just totally believed in his program because he had the rings to show for it.

God, the Bills need that. The Jets team that Parcells turned around was as bad an organization as the Bills have become.

Cowher was the Bills best chance at a Parcells flip. He went out on top, and that's what players remember.

I'll let SJ speak for himself, but I think you took some liberty with his point.

Thanks BB. I think the credibility that comes with professional accomplishment certainly helps increase the belief among players. That's definitely a component of it.

Thats very true. But ive also been around some seriously gifted athletes who just didnt want it. Some guys just dont give damn. Nothing is worse than wasted talent and it used to make me so angry because I wast a guy born w the ability to run a 4.5. Look at some of the guys in college or the NFL who throw their career away for drugs or crime. Or all these guys that come into the combine with superhuman athletic ability - they either arent smart enough to make it, or they dont want it bad enough.

True however football is the ultimate team game, the sport where more than any other, teamwork and unity are vital to success. Football also has the largest rosters so I think if you have 52 guys buying in and 1 or 2 guys dissenting, the battle is still won. If the vast majority of the team is onboard, the malcontents will marginalize themselves by putting themselves before the team. JMO.

I'll let SJ speak for himself, but I think you took some liberty with his point.

Bado's point captured a large part of what I was trying to express. But IMO there's more.

A) George Seifert, Jimmy Johnson, and Mike Martz are examples of championship coaches who went on to fail so previous success only goes so far I think.

B) Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh on the other hand are guys who built up championship credentials based on modest resumes. So unheralded candidates can obviously command a football team.

I think in the case of group A and group B above, a roster of alpha males (a football team) will in fairly short order be able to discern whether their leader has what it takes to succeed.

I believe any NFL team regardless of what they say publicly is keenly aware of the strengths and weaknesses of their head coach. I believe that they can tell if he's (still) a competent, confident, leader or if he's a has-been or a never-was or whether he's just coming into his power and rising in strength. They can tell if he still has fire in the belly or not.

You can't fake being a competent, confident NFL Head Coach because the players will see you for who you are.

This is why I give Marrone a chance to succeed. His pedigree with regards to coaching and playing in the NFL, his personality and his manner (working class but with lots of natural intelligence) are things which I believe would give him a lot of substance and legitimacy in an NFL locker room.

JMO.

However, some teams like the Patriots seem to both manage their cap and continue to win football games.

Clearly Kraft is just amazing. He does this while changing GM's and continuously losing coordinators. Brady is such a small part of their winning people just won't admit it. It's about managing the cap and winning football games baby. They are like magicians. It's a mystery to teams like the Bills because they can't manage the cap and win games. It's not Brady it's how they just keep backfilling all the players they lose in free agency or just decide not to sign. It's simply amazing and has nothing to do with Brady. It's how wonderfully they draft and their owner is so brilliant.

Edited by Triple Threat

I just think all of this is BS - and that professional players in their 20's and 30's see through alll the rah rah. Marrone can say we have a culture of responsibility now and put the Super Bowl banner up, but I don't think it matters as much as people think. You need to draft players who can play, who can learn a system and have some luck in the course of a season. That's the only way to turn it around unless you can get that "game-changer" QB- and there are usually only about 5 of them in the NFL at any one time.

Google Brian Downing. Most people won't remember him but he won 1-2 batting championships in the American League back a number of years ago. His HS batting average was .273. Had his own batting cage and willed himself to a great career.

Yes. And for the great great ones(the coaches) the players will do everything possible to make their coach happy/proud of them.

I'd love to see the Bills players this year go all out every game and do their best to execute an intelligent game plan and have confidence their coaches wont be making bonehead decisions.Then football becomes fun again for the fans regardless of the outcome.

I disagree about Parcells....I dont think he did that much without Belicheck

With new coaching and a new QB, I will consider anything over 5 wins a step in the right direction. I base this on my prediction that if we would have kept Chan & Fitz, we would only win 5 games with this years schedule. soooooo anything better than that, I will take as a good sign. I feel that next year will be out year to push for the huge turn around and go deep into the playoffs - Superbowl!!!!

Clearly Kraft is just amazing. He does this while changing GM's and continuously losing coordinators. Brady is such a small part of their winning people just won't admit it. It's about managing the cap and winning football games baby. They are like magicians. It's a mystery to teams like the Bills because they can't manage the cap and win games. It's not Brady it's how they just keep backfilling all the players they lose in free agency or just decide not to sign. It's simply amazing and has nothing to do with Brady. It's how wonderfully they draft and their owner is so brilliant.

I remember seeing a write up about the pats being pretty pedestrian in converting draftees into solid contributors. So maybe maybe not, but Brady is the heart and soul of that team, without him and his relentless desire to win, they are not even a playoff team.

They have done a good job of identifying players that create short pass game mismatches, and bellicheat exploits it like crazy. See, Hernandez, Gronk, wood head, Faulk, welker, they stack the o line and have really complicated wr trees with lots of read options and smart studious players. I hate it, but at the same time I see it.

I think bellicheat leaves when brady does and that team spirals into a lost decade of their own.

I disagree about Parcells....I dont think he did that much without Belicheck

If you are going to disagree that Parcells was great at quick turnarounds then I don't know what it would take you to actually agree on something.

He took over the Jets coming off a 1-15 season and brought them to 9-7 in his first season.

He took over the Cowboys after 3 straight 5-11 seasons and took them to 10-6 in his first season.

He took over the GM/president job of the Dolphins, coming off a 1-15 season.......hired Tony frickin' Sparano and won the division at 10-6.

I mean, seriously......nobody turned teams around like that guy. NOBODY. Not even close.

The issue was that he really didn't have a great plan other than capitalizing on the blind faith of his players.

Not having Belichick certainly hurt long term......Belichick is a HOF'er in waiting......but he turned around Dallas and Miami instantly without him.

That's the power of that kind of perception. And that's why hiring cold-product nobody's like GW, Mularkey, Jauron and Gailey has put the Bills a step behind before they've ever started.

I will say this, at least Marrone was at room temperature when they hired him.

He wasn't coming off just one good season as a DC like GW, or nearly being fired in Pittsburgh like Mularkey, a terrible retread like Jauron or a recently fired OC like Gailey.

AT LEAST he has that.

I sincerely hope that Marrone has a better overall plan than Parcells did at his last two jobs, but it will be important for him to not come out and fall flat on his face and think that it won't have a long term effect on his program.

This organization is USED to losing. More losing will equal same-old-same-old to the players and that will just make it harder to execute the plan when the FO eventually feels the sense of urgency regarding personnel......which usually happens in offseason year 3 for a typical Bills HC in the 21st century.

I just think all of this is BS - and that professional players in their 20's and 30's see through alll the rah rah. Marrone can say we have a culture of responsibility now and put the Super Bowl banner up, but I don't think it matters as much as people think. You need to draft players who can play, who can learn a system and have some luck in the course of a season. That's the only way to turn it around unless you can get that "game-changer" QB- and there are usually only about 5 of them in the NFL at any one time.

i call bs on your bs call. football is a game played by muscle bound testosterone and adrenaline fueled alpha males competing for the right to be called the best in the world. all that "ra ra stuff" could come in huge as far as making these guys push through the pain even more in their quest for immortality.

the best to ever play this game had a fire burning that most of us will never know, and i imagine that is what makes these people great leaders, because others are watching greatness in the making, they see the sacrifice and the determination and decide they will follow this man into hell, and to the championship...and maybe history!

and maybe, just maybe, a head coach can find a way to manipulate all this to his advantage. many people on this board are of the opinion that marv levy was no genius when it came to "x's and o's" but was a master at managing ego's and motivating men.

and maybe, just maybe, a head coach can find a way to manipulate all this to his advantage. many people on this board are of the opinion that marv levy was no genius when it came to "x's and o's" but was a master at managing ego's and motivating men.

He couldn't motivate a team loaded with superstars and HOFers to show up for 3 SBs.

He couldn't motivate a team loaded with superstars and HOFers to show up for 3 SBs.

you have a point, but mine was that a coach needs to use the base emotions of his players to the team's advantage. and that marv was maybe better at this than the x's and o's part of football. do you call shenanigans?

you have a point, but mine was that a coach needs to use the base emotions of his players to the team's advantage. and that marv was maybe better at this than the x's and o's part of football. do you call shenanigans?

My point is that few teams will ever be as loaded as the Bills were back then. Yet still, despite losing multiple SBs, these professional athletes could not muster a respectable showing in those last games.

So, no, I don't believe a college coach can walk in and talk his new NFL team into a complete culture change.