The new tone at OBD: What they're saying

Make no mistake about it, Gailey was in over his head as a head coach and the game had past Wanntrash by... I don't think you could put a worse tandem together to lead your team... I'm expecting the coaching to be much better.

I disliked the Gailey hiring and didn't think the Wanntrash promotion would really change anything since he had already been a member of the coaching staff the year before for a terrible defense.

I like the Marone hiring and really like bringing in Pettine..

Yeah, when the Bills hired Gailey I remember thinking "wtf"? Then my friends gave me the quotes from Cowher about how great Gailey was, and I accepted it. He was awful though. His play calling was baffling at times. Nothing was worse than having the lead in AZ with a few minutes left, inside the opponent 40, and he calls a trick play and has Brad Smith chuck a bomb into the endzone for an interception when the run game was working and the Bills didnt need the TD to close out the game. That play encapsulates his coaching style for me. He'd have Freddie and CJ getting hot and switch to the pass game. He over-complicated everything. 3rd and 1 - lets pass the ball. But enough of that rant. Hes gone.

The day we hired Marrone I was a happy guy. Much different feeling than when we hired Gailey. I was happy we didnt hire an NFL retread like Lovie Smith. Andy Reid or Chip Kelly both sounded pretty good to me. Although Andy has not won the big game.

What I like most is Marrones particular skill set and ability to turn around a struggling program. I think he is the right coach for the job I also like his ties to Western NY as well as his time in the NFL under Peyton....

Only time will tell. But for now, I am going to feel good about it and be optimistic while managing my expectations.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big Cat knows things.

The players are gaining confidence, The fans are befuddled. Biff !Bamm! Whammo!

Whatever shall become of the Bills? And will Nix redeem himself ?

Stay tuned next week for the upcoming drafts.

Same Bills time.

Same Bills channel

na na na na nana na na nana nana na na nana.

Big Cat!!

The Big Cat knows things.

The players are gaining confidence, The fans are befuddled. Biff !Bamm! Whammo!

Whatever shall become of the Bills? And will Nix redeem himself ?

Stay tuned next week for the upcoming drafts.

Same Bills time.

Same Bills channel

na na na na nana na na nana nana na na nana.

Big Cat!!

bsFeD1M.gif

the batman gif is a winner

Yeah, when the Bills hired Gailey I remember thinking "wtf"? Then my friends gave me the quotes from Cowher about how great Gailey was, and I accepted it. He was awful though. His play calling was baffling at times. Nothing was worse than having the lead in AZ with a few minutes left, inside the opponent 40, and he calls a trick play and has Brad Smith chuck a bomb into the endzone for an interception when the run game was working and the Bills didnt need the TD to close out the game.

Nix went all in for Cowher, and we all wanted that to happen. We ended up with leftovers in Gailey. Still glad we tried hard to land Cowher, because at that time I really didn't want anyone else.

I always had my doubts about Wanny. My buddy--a huge Pitt fan--reported back about how boring uninventive and unaggressive Wannys defenses were. After that, I personally was cautiously optimistic...at best.

So I'm not sure specifically which people you're talking about...

Good on you. When people aren't accountable for their opinions, then the posters who disagree with them get to argue with whatever made-up point they want, after the fact.

And "cautiously" optimistic is still very much optimistic. :thumbsup:

Well, you certainly have a very short memory. This was easy, a simple search would have helped you avoid that response:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/146120-gailey-and-wannstedt-best-bills-play-calling-combo-ever/

One thing for sure is that the intensity level is going to go up even more with Wanny being the D coordinator . That was one thing i thought was great just by adding Gailey into the mix from Jauron , the intensity level from the coaching position quadrupled !!

Now you put Wanny in there & it will go up another 10 notches or so , which if teams match there what there coaches are like i think this will be a great upgrade on our D .

I don't know that it's all in what you know about the game , there is a lot to be said about chemistry , no matter how good some ones individual talent is if there isn't chemistry between the players or members it just doesn't work some times .

I Billeave that we may have finally found the CHEMISTRY our team needs to make it to the play offs !! I just hope that everyone involved stays happy in their roles & don't want to move on to so called bigger & better things !!

Sound familiar? This entire thread is a retread from less than a year ago.

I dont think Wanny has ever had this much talent to work with. When you consider that the strength of his defense is the 4 down linemen....then you give him 2 pro bowlers, an athletic freak like Darius, and a 10 sack guy who doesn't even play full time.....well.....its like being a kid on christmas morning and you got everything you asked for on your list.

From what I have gathered big difference in the coaching.....

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/126299-wannstedt-a-bill/page__st__40

This hiring as Asst HC was cause for much celebration....the best part of this thread is that it was universally assumed that Wanny would be the "actual DC" and be calling the D. Yet, a year later, after this arrangement proved a disaster, the same posters were claiming that making Wanny the actual DC was another great idea...because he wasn;t calling the plays the year before--it was Geoge Wilson after all!

So, we can rest, now, knowing that there is experience and there will be a game plan going forward on both sides. And, I think we do have some weapons in place that an experienced coordinator can use and build around - Carrington, K.Williams, Troupe, Moats, Byrd, McKelvin - these guys have potential, in the right system, under the right guidance.

I think we have a lot of coaches, now, who will help the young guys get into shape, stay in shape, and learn the systems.

Here's some "top 5 defense" stuff for you also...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/146942-bills-to-go-from-26-on-defense-to-top-3-in-one-year/

To make a jump from 26 into the top three is a pretty big leap and not one you see often ... Last year the Texans jumped from 30th to second. A few years ago Green Bay was able to jump from the 20s to top 5.

That being said, it takes a lot of pieces falling into place to be able make such a drastic jump.....The addition of Wannstedt as the full-time DC may turn out to be the #1 reason why the Bills make the playoffs in 2012-2013.

it's just as likely the Bills' defense will finish first overall as it is they will finish 15th (I say 15th rather than last because the level of talent suggests it would be rather difficult for them to absolutely suck).

There are more, but I think you get the point. There was widespread accetance of the possibility that, despite Wanny failing as the de facto DC, he would achieve new heights as the DC a year later. Surprise! He flopped.

There were some who saw this coming....

And now some of the same things are being said in this very thread about the new crew that were said in each of those threads about Chan and Wanny bringing in a "new attitude", etc.

Well, you certainly have a very short memory. This was easy, a simple search would have helped you avoid that response:

http://forums.twobil...ing-combo-ever/

Sound familiar? This entire thread is a retread from less than a year ago.

http://forums.twobil...ll/page__st__40

This hiring as Asst HC was cause for much celebration....the best part of this thread is that it was universally assumed that Wanny would be the "actual DC" and be calling the D. Yet, a year later, after this arrangement proved a disaster, the same posters were claiming that making Wanny the actual DC was another great idea...because he wasn;t calling the plays the year before--it was Geoge Wilson after all!

Here's some "top 5 defense" stuff for you also...

http://forums.twobil...-3-in-one-year/

There are more, but I think you get the point. There was widespread accetance of the possibility that, despite Wanny failing as the de facto DC, he would achieve new heights as the DC a year later. Surprise! He flopped.

There were some who saw this coming....

And now some of the same things are being said in this very thread about the new crew that were said in each of those threads about Chan and Wanny bringing in a "new attitude", etc.

And you'll find that none of those quotes about Wanny were from yours truly.

Furthermore, you'll note that most of the speculation was the from the fans point of view. If you took a quick sec and read the title of this thread, we're getting the same reports...from the players point of view. FBOW, it's different.

Different coaches, different organizational structure, different resumes and experience from the new coaches than the previous regime, mainly. Marrone and Pettine are up and coming, whereas Gailey and Wannstedt have been around forever and could be considered, "old nfl".

I get your point, Weo. After 13 years of the same old, its reasonable to believe that nothing is really changing. And anyone who believes that, has a valid reason and every right to believe it.

I just feel differently about Marrone than Williams, Mularchy, Jauron, and Gailey. Those guys were established NFL assistants coming from established NFL teams. Marrone has proven he is a guy who can turn a difficult situation around in a bummy program. I think thats exactly what we need in Buffalo.

And you'll find that none of those quotes about Wanny were from yours truly.

Furthermore, you'll note that most of the speculation was the from the fans point of view. If you took a quick sec and read the title of this thread, we're getting the same reports...from the players point of view. FBOW, it's different.

Didn't claim you were among that group. I said people here were saying these things a year ago and you insinuated that I "made up" this fact.

Also, where are you reading about all of the players who are saying the "same" things the fans were saying a year ago?