The new tone at OBD: What they're saying

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I freely admitted to having fallen victim to this behavior pattern in the OP, it didn't need called-out.

Yeah I agree. I need to learn to let all the pure koolaid posts pass. I am getting better I think but I have problems still with the "culture change" based ones.

Mea culpa.

Yeah I agree. I need to learn to let all the pure koolaid posts pass. I am getting better I think but I have problems still with the "culture change" based ones.

Mea culpa.

No problemo, homey. I think it's safe to say, for one reason or another, we're all excited for opening day, GO BILLS!

Marrone seems to be saying all the right things now and seems to be moving the franchise in the right direction. I want so badly for this to be the case, but as we all know there have been others that have said and done the right things up until the actual games start. I want to believe that Marrone is finally the man to fix things, but the long drought has left me with little optimism.

First the coaches:

One of the things that used to drive me nuts about Gailey was how it seemed--even 3/4 of the way through a season the team was still "learning," "improving," "installing," etc. Now, I understand that no coach will ever get on the mic, or even say to his team, boys, we've arrived, the time for improvement is over, you're just the fine way you are. That much is clear, but Gailey seemed to have a 3 year plan that was taking 8 years to execute.

Marrone basically said in his interview with Murph last week that his approach is the exact opposite, and I love that.

From the players:

Firstly, they're saying the same thing: "this is not rebuilding," "we're hear to win a Super Bowl," "we'll be ready day one."

Tough to argue with that attitude.

Likewise--

Of the prior regime, there has been A LOT of damning-by-proxy. The "tempo" has changed. There's more "enthusiasm." There's more "energy." There's more "excitement." I take this to mean one of two things:

1. Marrone's crew is as advertised, which is to say--he's got a reputation for being a no-nonsense, straight shooting guy with high expectations for his players (aka Capt. Culture Changer).

2. Gailey and Co. were a bona fide snooze fest, and based off some very reliable player-intel I've received, that's likely to have been the case.

I haven't seen much talk around here re: the sound bytes that have been coming out of OBD since last week's OTA's, so I'm curious to hear what everyone else thinks.

NOW: It's so easy to get swept up in blind optimism during a regime-transition, yes. But I gotta feeling about these guys. I truly believe the tides have turned. GO BILLS!

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

P.S. Cue the "they haven't played any games yet" crowd and the "realists" with their "I'll believe it when I see it" chorus. :thumbdown:

I agree with you on the tone. Yes it does need to translate into wins at some point soon.

I believe having high expectations for yourself is a good thing.

You strive for perfection, you understand you will never obtain it, but you settle for greatness.

Much been then striving for good and settling for average.

We are,

1 franchise QB

3 legit WRs

1 legit TE

3 solid LBs

1 SS

2-3 depth OL

1 more solid CB

1 more solid DE

Away from making the playoffs!

I totally agree on franchise QB. Everything else is negotiable.

Talent wins not rah rah, and the Bills don't have that much, 2-14 is a very real possibility

This team has plenty of talent. People rag on Nix for not putting talent on this team. He failed at picking a coach and trusted his coach with regards to the QB that coach wanted. Make no mistake, if they can have a power running game and have Kolb/Rookie not lose games, we will be in contention. Don't underestimate good coaching. Everyone is talented in the NFL.

Punting from the 34 yard line indoors is all you really need to know about Chan Gaiey's coaching style.

yup. It gave me chills thinking we had Dick Juron back there again. Stupid freaking coaches thinking they are outsmarting their opponent. Points are ALWAYS better than field position.

Yeahbut...he's now got roster size to deal with and a salary cap. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is made an example of, a sacrificial lamb so to speak, but it will be someone expendable and it will only happen once.

I'd be happy with seeing the Bills execute a malcontent or someone who doesn't perform 100% week after week. I don't think the problem is any one person though. A coach coming in a making someone that sacrificial lamb runs the risk of fracturing the locker room.

I'd be happy with seeing the Bills execute a malcontent or someone who doesn't perform 100% week after week. I don't think the problem is any one person though. A coach coming in a making someone that sacrificial lamb runs the risk of fracturing the locker room.

Execute? :blink:

This guy needs a coat he's sooooooo cooooooool.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy here, but as many others have pointed out, we've heard this stuff before. Gregg Williams was tough and was gonna whip the guys into shape, Coach Gailey was going to end "the culture of losing" and when he stepped on the field he didn't want to win, he expected to win. All sounded great at the time.

I'm hoping that Coach Marrone can turn the Titanic around and return this franchise to it's rightful place atop the AFC. But you don't do win any games in April. The first pre season game is 4 months away.

But all of this talk is just talk and bluster now until the wins start rolling in. I hope it works this time.

Go BILLS !!

This team has plenty of talent. People rag on Nix for not putting talent on this team. He failed at picking a coach and trusted his coach with regards to the QB that coach wanted. Make no mistake, if they can have a power running game and have Kolb/Rookie not lose games, we will be in contention. Don't underestimate good coaching. Everyone is talented in the NFL.

Sorry to go off topic for a second but I see this written often and I'd like to understand it.

The GM's responsibility is to acquire players and build a football team. The coach's responsibility is to win with that team on the field. On what basis are we absolving Nix of his responsibility? How do you know the trust in Fitz was a Gailey thing, and not a Nix thing?

Unless I've missed something, all we know is that both men publically supported Fitzpatrick at every turn, and that acquiring a quarterback falls under Nix' domain.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

Sorry to go off topic for a second but I see this written often and I'd like to understand it.

The GM's responsibility is to acquire players and build a football team. The coach's responsibility is to win with that team on the field. On what basis are we absolving Nix of his responsibility? How do you know the trust in Fitz was a Gailey thing, and not a Nix thing?

Unless I've missed something, all we know is that both men publically supported Fitzpatrick at every turn, and that acquiring a quarterback falls under Nix' domain.

Well until the 'prank phone call'.

I get the sense Nix got sold on Fitz by Chan. Maybe they both where dellusional and hoping he was the guy?

To me Marrone seems like the guy who is more direct and if you can not cut it he is not going to give you 2 years to prove you can. I am sure he will allow rookies to develope, but he is not going to let aging vets who can not produce hang around.

Perfect is the enemy of Good. Many of you want perfect conditions before the Bills can make the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I think we're headed for a 4-12ish season, but the idea that the Bills will never make the playoffs without filling every whole including adding 2-3 depth lineman is as laughable as believing they will go to the Superbowl.