Bills sign UFA DT Alan Branch to 1 year deal

Easy, fellas. I think it's a great signing--though I'm not thrilled about the one-year component.

There's just been far too much positive banter about the guy, and as per my post earlier in the thread, order must be restored in the TSW universe.

I do see the worry with the one year deal, as once that is up the price is going to get jacked. But alternately it's low risk if he burns out, and as previously mentioned if we don't get an ILB in the draft, after it we should be able to get one on the cheap.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent signing. Glad it's a one year deal, especially since the Bills didn't get a bargain. Branch and Lawson are definitely middle-class NFL salaries, not dumpster dives.

I'm still very curious to see how the D shakes out under Pettine, but you can never have too many big men up front. And Branch played 55% of the snaps on an excellent D last year, so we can reasonably be sure he doesn't suck.

Solid pick up. The Seahawks had one of the best defensive fronts last year. I think he immediately steps in as the #3 DT and will see plenty of snaps. I think he is the type of player that Nix was hoping Troupe would turn into when he took him in the 2nd.

You can never have too many big bodies on either line. He's a mountain of a man at 6'6" / 325 LB.

also, he and alex carrington side by side may be able to block a few more kicks this year. maybe bat a couple passes as well.

Yeah, there are surely pluses and minuses. Branch will be motivated (although I hate even the idea that players play more motivated in contract years). This year is full of one year deals.

Yeah it sucks to think about but the almighty dollar is the one constant motivator for all pro athletes. It happens more in the NBA because the contracts are guaranteed and there's only so much you can slack off in the NFL without worrying about getting injured. But every year there are NBA players that put up huge numbers in a contract year only to fall off a cliff after getting the long term deal.

But I'm not sure I see the minuses for the team in signing someone to a 1 year deal except I guess if he has a great year and someone else offers him more than we can pay next offseason. Other than that, here's a year lets see what you got son!

Wikipedia, for a moment, had him listed as "American football defensive tackle for the Toronto Argonaughts (sic) of the National Football League." I laughed. Anyway, on the surface, this appears to be a good signing.

Edited by ny33

Ditto for Dansby though I am not sure where Jenkins fits in this D given that we have several CBs on the roster. Perhaps this indicates one of the CB (Aaron WIlliams ? Brooks ?) is being considered for a move to safety.

In any case, I like the Alan Branch signing esp the 1 yr part.

sounds like Jenkins did better in the slot, but either way, the top 3 would be Gilmore/McKelvin/Jenkins... unless A.Williams steps up. Brooks/Rodgers remain for depth and ST. that rounds out the roster of CBs barring injury and late picks or UDFA to compete with Rodgers (or again injury). no high picks on them for sure.

sounds like Jenkins did better in the slot, but either way, the top 3 would be Gilmore/McKelvin/Jenkins... unless A.Williams steps up. Brooks/Rodgers remain for depth and ST. that rounds out the roster of CBs barring injury and late picks or UDFA to compete with Rodgers (or again injury). no high picks on them for sure.

Yeah, the Bills still have holes to fill. The big plus for me on signing a guy like Jenkins is that is greatly decreases the chances of selecting a CB in the first three rounds, when we clearly need a QB, WR, TE, LB, OG and maybe S.

Bet you dollars to donuts Williams becomes a S in this defense.

Wow....decent player at a decent price.....Maybe OBD has more of a clue then we give them credit for.

Whoah! Whoah!

Settle down

Lets not get carried away.

Edited by Magox

Good signing. Branch is a solid run stopper guy, and we desperately needed one of those.

Yay. I truly like a move the Bills did.

Whats is this ...a guy who play play the run?? WTF is going on here lol

Seriously I like the move. I think this is to give Kyle a break a run downs. Kyle is a good pass rusher but sometimes gets push over on run downs.

Can't wait to see what this D is gonna look like, mostly the scheme we are going to use.

I hope Dansby is the plan. They have the money. They made the space by extending Fitz' cap hit into next year.

still time before the draft to get it done

Bart Scott is still out there too..

If it works out you extend...if it doesn't, there's no dead money next year.

lmao. ty captain obvious

one year deals usually are for aging players, guys coming back from questionable injuries, very young unknowns, or fringe roster players that only get signed bc a team is desperately thin at a position. very rarely a player insists on a one-year deal due to unusual market conditions to gamble they will do much better financially by waiting a season

as far as i can tell, branch doesnt match any of those situations. so im wondering whats up

Awesome, Larry Tripplet v 2.0 <_<

I'm sure that's sarcasm, because the two players couldn't possibly be any different

Wow, I disagree with that comparison.

Actually footballoutsiders.com says the most similar player to Branch from 09-11 is Larry Tripplett from 04-06.