Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two questions:

1 - Have you watched a lot of games with Geno Smith?

2 - Have you watched a lot of games with other leading QBs?

I hold his position and can answer yes to both questions. Opinions are opinions, dude. Pro scouts have differences of opinion, too. One person's red flag is another person's coachable room for improvement. One person's history of success is another's definition of weak competition. One person's excuse of a bad team surrounding the player is another's view that the player isn't elite and can't elevate his team.

My only issue with a Nassib pick would be the fact that Marrone and Nassib weren't exactly burning up the college ranks as a top 20 team. But they did have success I believe with an 8-5 record with a tough non big east schedule. Not sure how this pair will translate to the NFL.

How good was the team around him really? Was the OL any good? RB's? Wr's? TE's? Put him with better team mates and let's see what happens.

Two questions:

1 - Have you watched a lot of games with Geno Smith?

2 - Have you watched a lot of games with other leading QBs?

Yes and he is light years ahead of every other qb in this draft IMO. He has that NFL accuracy. Highest completion percentage of all 40tds vs 6 ints? IIRC?

Nothing not too like........the "nassib-heads" keep going to the one bowl game......Geno wasn't all that but 200 yards 2 tds isn't exactly turrrrrrrrble either.

If Geno is there at 8 it's a no brainer.

In an ideal world, I would want to take the best defensive talent available at #8 and then trade back up to the late 1st round and take Nassib there.

The problem you have there is that you may not find a partner to trade up with.

I just can't justify taking Nassib at #8.

Yes and he is light years ahead of every other qb in this draft IMO. He has that NFL accuracy. Highest completion percentage of all 40tds vs 6 ints? IIRC?

Nothing not too like........the "nassib-heads" keep going to the one bowl game......Geno wasn't all that but 200 yards 2 tds isn't exactly turrrrrrrrble either.

Without a doubt.

WVU was down 26-7 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd Q when Geno threw his 2nd TD pass--- his stats were not great in that game, but a lot of them were accrued arguably in garbage time.

Having said that, I wouldn't hate drafting him, even at 8. His brains, accuracy and athleticism are all big pluses. But there are plenty of question marks, and his Pinstripe Bowl performance didn't answer them.

WVU was down 26-7 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd Q when Geno threw his 2nd TD pass--- his stats were not great in that game, but a lot of them were accrued arguably in garbage time.

Having said that, I wouldn't hate drafting him, even at 8. His brains, accuracy and athleticism are all big pluses. But there are plenty of question marks, and his Pinstripe Bowl performance didn't answer them.

Or you could argue that when their only hope to stay in the game was to score fast with the passing game, he succeeded. Point taken, though. I think Cuse had a better game plan and the WVU defense had no answer for Syracuse (which is no surprise - they had no answer for anybody all season).

Please dont give Rex any ideas. He might do this because we just stole a damn good DC from the Jets.

Shhhhh lol

IF I felt very strongly that a kid COULD NOT play at the next level, I'd do everything in my power to make sure my divisional rival drafted him HIGH.

I'd feign interest in that player for the sole purpose of getting my rivals to to bite the hook. While they're wasting time on some fool's-gold recruit, My organization would be bearing down on the mother lode.

We need a QB. That's a fact. However drafting the wrong prospect could set this team back another five years.

Take your time Buddy. -Think this thing through.

Edited by #34fan

IF I felt very strongly that a kid COULD NOT play at the next level, I'd do everything in my power to make sure my divisional rival drafted him HIGH.

I'd feign interest in that player for the sole purpose of getting my rivals to to bite the hook. While they're wasting time on some fool's-gold recruit, My organization would be bearing down on the mother lode.

We need a QB. That's a fact. However drafting the wrong prospect could set this team back another five years.

Take your time Buddy. -Think this thing through.

True. OR they don't necessarily think he has what it takes to be a #1 pick in the league but they genuinely like him and want him to get drafted to help the kid, and to help the Syracuse program with recruiting.

I personally think they genuinely love the guy as a player, and think he will just get better and better, but that is just a hunch.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

My only issue with a Nassib pick would be the fact that Marrone and Nassib weren't exactly burning up the college ranks as a top 20 team. But they did have success I believe with an 8-5 record with a tough non big east schedule. Not sure how this pair will translate to the NFL.

ok say if by some dumb luck Geno Smith falls to us. He has to learn Hackett's system and ofcourse he will have a learning curve. Nassib will hit the ground running because he already knows the system .

If the Marrone thinks the kid can handle the pressure of coming in and playing right away and they don't like any other QB as much as Nassib then draft the kid.

The thing that I like the most is Nassib would already have a strong running game to help him out. I just think after watching some youtube vids on him he could do just as well as Tannehill did last year . Maybe even better.

ok say if by some dumb luck Geno Smith falls to us. He has to learn Hackett's system and ofcourse he will have a learning curve. Nassib will hit the ground running because he already knows the system .

If the Marrone thinks the kid can handle the pressure of coming in and playing right away and they don't like any other QB as much as Nassib then draft the kid.

The thing that I like the most is Nassib would already have a strong running game to help him out. I just think after watching some youtube vids on him he could do just as well as Tannehill did last year . Maybe even better.

To which I say, so what. You didn't see Carroll take Mark Sanchez, and he waited for a true franchise guy to come around this season. Do you think he regrets that decision? Your system will only take you so far. A great QB will take you further. If they grade out Geno far better than Nassib -- and I do, by at least a round -- and still take the path of least resistance, shame on them.

I don't understand this reasoning at all. If you draft a QB in the top 10 you are thinking that guy is going to be your franchise QB for 10 years. His rookie contract will be for 5 years. The advantage that Nassib has over other QBs will disappear within a year if they are any good, or if he is not as good as other guys. There is not a good reason whatsoever to draft Nassib because he is familiar with the offense. IF all things are equal, then it could put him over the top. If you think Geno Smith is better than Nassib as an NFL QB prospect overall, you take Geno (or anyone else you think is better).

Every mock I see and none have him anywhere near the first round. You don't take a guy because he knows an offense you take the best long term skill set available. I like him but only in the second round. Barkeley, Smith, Wilson and Glennon will go in the first but that is it.

Edited by Chris in Syracuse

Every mock I see and none have him anywhere near the first round. You don't take a guy because he knows an offense you take the best long term skill set available. I like him but only in the second round. Barkeley, Smith, Wilson and Glennon will go in the first but that is it.

I realize its Bleacher Report but check this out...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1482995-2013-nfl-mock-draft-latest-projections-after-divisional-playoffs/page/9

I hope they stick to their board as much as possible. I see them trading back into the second half of the 1st to take him. Or at least I hope they do. I'd much rather have a LB taken first unless Geno or Glennon falls to us.

To which I say, so what. You didn't see Carroll take Mark Sanchez, and he waited for a true franchise guy to come around this season. Do you think he regrets that decision? Your system will only take you so far. A great QB will take you further. If they grade out Geno far better than Nassib -- and I do, by at least a round -- and still take the path of least resistance, shame on them.

I understand your point but I think this is somewhat different.

They had the kid for 3 yrs, correct me if I'm wrong but did Carroll have Sanchez for that long?

There is gonna be a run on Qb's because so many teams are looking for one. Nassib might not be there in the Second round. My point is if they think Nassib is the one they can grow with and win with then you make the move in the first. Or any QB they like ( Glennon, Smith )

nassibmania is taking over..............sounds like some want to ignore the other higher rated qb's and go right for the "hometown boy"

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Nassib in the first feels like a mistake. in the 2nd or later, go for it.

I hope they stick to their board as much as possible. I see them trading back into the second half of the 1st to take him. Or at least I hope they do. I'd much rather have a LB taken first unless Geno or Glennon falls to us.

As an fyi I think Glennon is our pick. But if he's gone and Nassib is there thats what we're doing. Or Geno. But I will say I think Nassib seems to be a tough guy and I think that will parlay well. My original point was expect them to take Nassib simply because they coached him up and achieved results. That doesn't mean if someone better is available they don't take that guy!

I want Glennon. Nassib beat Geno, Ryan Leaf is in Prison. :oops: So anything can happen.

We hired new staff that know the answers we are seeking and I am going to say I'm good with whoever they go with.

I will back them 100% until they prove they aren't worthy. Given that there are a lot of guys balls on the line right now in this process including Russ, I am really happy with how we are moving forward without Ralph.

For better or worse we are decisive. Something that has never happened with Ralph at the helm and I am loving it.

GO BILLS!

So I'm reading on these boards that a lot of people don't like nassib because he's questionable and jittery in the pocket. Well I believe that he has really good pocket awareness and has the ability to move throughout the pocket pretty well. He has good footwork, he plants and steps into his throws, and he can maneuver in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. The only thing he does do is he shakes the ball a lot right before he throws which looks awkward at times but if I'm not mistaken Peyton manning also is jittery in the pocket as well. We all know how he turned out. But honestly nassib has a bullet of a pass, a really quick release and can make just about every throw needed to be a professional in this league. He's the pick in the second round or a trade up into the first round, if hes there then bank on it

nassibmania is taking over..............sounds like some want to ignore the other higher rated qb's and go right for the "hometown boy"

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Nassib in the first feels like a mistake. in the 2nd or later, go for it.

This fanbase is so starved for High-level QB play, that we've forget sometimes what it actually looks like.

-Good thing we have Brady in our division to remind us.

Some of these posters havent watched Nassib for more than this past season. Some have only seen him in the pinstripe bowl!

-But because he's local, available, and familiar to the incoming staff, WE WANT HIM IN A BILLS UNI! Well, what has this kid ever done to indicate that he's a pro prospect, Other than attend, and play football for a nearby college?

I've paid attention to Nassib for four years. I've seen him do good things on the field as well as bad. -Believe me when I say that there are QB prospects in this draft ALOT better than him, that aren't going in the first. On his best day, Nassib is a 4th-6th rounder... We can get some serious Talent @ #8 Buddy. -Please don't screw this up.

Edited by #34fan

This fanbase is so starved for High-level QB play, that we've forget sometimes what it actually looks like.

-Good thing we have Brady in our division to remind us.

Some of these posters havent watched Nassib for more than this past season. Some have only seen him in the pinstripe bowl!

-But because he's local, available, and familiar to the incoming staff, WE WANT HIM IN A BILLS UNI! Well, what has this kid ever done to indicate that he's a pro prospect, Other than attend, and play football for a nearby college?

I've paid attention to Nassib for four years. I've seen him do good things on the field as well as bad. -Believe me when I say that there are QB prospects in this draft ALOT better than him, that aren't going in the first. On his best day, Nassib is a 4th-6th rounder... We can get some serious Talent @ #8 Buddy. -Please don't screw this up.

The Buffalo Bills have had sub par play at the QB position for far to long and believe me when I say your evaluation of Ryan Nassib is way off base.

Considering the circumstances Ryan Nassib is the best available signal caller in the upcoming draft for the Buffalo Bills.

I'll agree with you about one thing though,,,we can get some serious talent at the 8th pick in Ryan Nassib,,,

...please don't screw this one up Buddy,,,

Edited by dog14787

The Buffalo Bills have had sub par play at the QB position for far to long and believe me when I say your evaluation of Ryan Nassib is way off base.

Considering the circumstances Ryan Nassib is the best available signal caller in the upcoming draft for the Buffalo Bills.

I'll agree with you about one thing though,,,we can get some serious talent at the 8th pick in Ryan Nassib,,,

...please don't screw this one up Buddy,,,

Man I don't get the Nassib love- Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson are all way better- maybe there's a debate when you throw Nassib in against Mike Glennon, Landry Jones, Tyler Bray, Zac Dysert, or E.J Manuel but these are all guys with major flaws in there game.

I highly doubt that a 33 year old first time NFL Offensive Coordinator is going to dictate the most crucial annual--- and perhaps franchise altering--- decision for a billion dollar corporation.

It's definitely a possibility, but if the Bills select Nassib, it's going to be a decision made by consensus: Marrone, Nix, Whaley and perhaps Brandon all have more weight than Hackett.

Right on ! very smart statement.

I understand your point but I think this is somewhat different.

They had the kid for 3 yrs, correct me if I'm wrong but did Carroll have Sanchez for that long?

There is gonna be a run on Qb's because so many teams are looking for one. Nassib might not be there in the Second round. My point is if they think Nassib is the one they can grow with and win with then you make the move in the first. Or any QB they like ( Glennon, Smith )

I think you take the highest graded QB available, and you only put these factors into consideration if the players are close. I respect differences of opinion but I don't put Nassib in Geno's class. For me, drafting Nassib at #8 is the equivalent of playing scared with the lead, because the only justification is the belief he won't be there in R2-3.

Leave no stone unturned and then take the guy you know, right? Jimmy Johnson drafted Emmitt Smith from rival UF. Just sayin'...

Man I don't get the Nassib love- Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson are all way better- maybe there's a debate when you throw Nassib in against Mike Glennon, Landry Jones, Tyler Bray, Zac Dysert, or E.J Manuel but these are all guys with major flaws in there game.

Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Tyler Wilson may all be better than Nassib, but will they be there at the 8th pick?

Nix said that if there is a QB you want in round 2, you should take him in round 1. I think he has a point. Don't get cute with this stuff. It is very rare that a pick is a sure thing, especially after the first one or two picks in the draft.

The eighth pick is not likely to be somebody that all the fans, team management, and TV talking heads agree on. You may as well take a gamble and reach a little if there is a guy you want.

Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, and Tyler Wilson may all be better than Nassib, but will they be there at the 8th pick?

Nix said that if there is a QB you want in round 2, you should take him in round 1. I think he has a point. Don't get cute with this stuff. It is very rare that a pick is a sure thing, especially after the first one or two picks in the draft.

The eighth pick is not likely to be somebody that all the fans, team management, and TV talking heads agree on. You may as well take a gamble and reach a little if there is a guy you want.

He didn't specifically say that. He said that if a team has targeted a quarterback it wants, then it should be prepared to draft him a round earlier than his grade to make sure another club doesn't get him first. This draft class is horrendous and I hope he wasn't talking about using the #8 pick on a QB. The only guy I like is EJ Manuel and I'd be happy to get him, but that's only in the second round or maybe as a trade up ahead of the second round QB lacking teams.

This talk of drafting Nassib at #8 is insane. I've been watching a lot of the video on youtube of this guy and he is clearly a 3rd or later round talent IMO. He's a very good college QB who lacks the basic skills and talent to ever become anything more than a career backup on the professional level. To me, he's a Blaine Gabbert-like system "dink and dunk" college QB who lacks pocket presence when pressured, lacks accuracy in the long and intermediate passes and is a poor runner out of the pocket. He'll get his shot to start, but it will be a one and done type of starting career for Nassib. I'll be crushed if they draft Nassib at #8. I'm talking a Donte Whitner like disappointment.

I'll be crushed if they draft Nassib at #8. I'm talking a Donte Whitner like disappointment.

I've been thinking that as well. Donte Whitner has proven to be a decent player, but he never lived up to the hype. I won't be too upset if they draft Nassib at #8, but it is a long stretch to think that is where he should be drafted, and I will immediately be wondering who they could have/should have picked instead. The "home grown" aspect is the only reason why they would take him that early. If it was somebody other than his former coach, there is no way that he would get picked that high. I really don't think they will, but I won't be too surprised if they do.

I've been thinking that as well. Donte Whitner has proven to be a decent player, but he never lived up to the hype. I won't be too upset if they draft Nassib at #8, but it is a long stretch to think that is where he should be drafted, and I will immediately be wondering who they could have/should have picked instead. The "home grown" aspect is the only reason why they would take him that early. If it was somebody other than his former coach, there is no way that he would get picked that high. I really don't think they will, but I won't be too surprised if they do.

If you don't have the ability to hit WRs in stride on the deep pass at the NFL level you are toast as a QB. What I see on the video are Syracuse WRs waiting on the deep ball or the ball being no where close. Also, his deep passes are of the floating variety. NFL defenses will eat him for lunch. Expect a lot of defenders in the box to stop Spiller and press coverage on our WRs. I'd be shocked if Marrone hitches his first NFL head coaching wagon to Nassib with that #8 overall pick.

If we take Nassib because he's "comfortable" with the system and the coaches worked with him in college, that is a PISS poor reason for taking him. I want no part of any QBs coming out of this year's draft.

My prediction is that there are at least three QB's who will be solid starters in the NFL in this year's draft. This team needs an upgrade at QB. It may be Nassib or someone else, but be prepared, because this team WILL draft a QB this year.

I've said this before - the top picks before us aren't going to be loaded with QB's - and IF Smith, Barkley, and Wilson are gone before us at 8, that would mean some very good talent has dropped to us - which we'd be nuts to pass on. I've been touting this QB class as a good one for Buffalo, because I believe Buffalo will have it's choice of all but perhaps one QB when they pick at 8 - and, if they choose to wait until round 2, I believe there will still be 3 or 4 guys worth taking there anyway.

I've gone back and watched more video of Nassib and some of the other QB's, and one thing about Nassib that scares me is this - a lot of his passes were thrown behind his recievers. Many of his passes were not the "in stride" type you'd like to see, but rather his WR'ers had to turn back, or slow down, to make the catch. A lot of times. That scares me some, because chances are the NFL recievers and speed will be much faster, and if he's got a miniscule problem with processing or gauging where to hit guys, it might show up much more in the pro's.

That is why I'd really like the Bills to go for someone like Smith, Barkley, Wilson, or Dysert before they go for Nassib. But, that's just my opinion.

What major flaws are you talking about with E.J.Manuel. He seems to have it all - reminds me a lot of Cam Newton. He will probably be available in the second .

I think you take the highest graded QB available, and you only put these factors into consideration if the players are close. I respect differences of opinion but I don't put Nassib in Geno's class. For me, drafting Nassib at #8 is the equivalent of playing scared with the lead, because the only justification is the belief he won't be there in R2-3.

Leave no stone unturned and then take the guy you know, right? Jimmy Johnson drafted Emmitt Smith from rival UF. Just sayin'...

Well I think the Bills will leave no stone unturned. To bad they a year or two late in getting a QB but having said that....

It's early in the process, we all are to early in our projections. Who know's how FA is going to effect the draft. You don't like Nassib and that's ok.

But I have a hunch he's gonna be a Bill. I like the kid. Maybe we get lucky and he lasts until the second round. That way we can get the best LB in the draft on the board not named Teo .

All we can hope for is they choose the right QB. Whoever that may be. Because we wont even sniff the playoffs until we do.