Wide Reciever Discussion

There seems to be quite a bit of panic here regarding next season's wide reciever corps. I feel more optimistic about this than most, it seems. Today, I think the depth chart would have to read Stevie at #1 and Graham at #2. Is this ideal? no. But if that is how things shape up in training camp i won't be too disappointed. Graham frankly was not played enough last year (nor accurately or otherwise thrown to enough) for anyone to have a definitive opinion on whether he is a legit NFL starter or a fringe depth guy. We don't know, and we won't know unless he gets some playing time. 2013 is going to be a year to rebuild, develop young players and test / develop a coaching style. For a lot of guys, it's going to be a year where they are thrown into the water to see if they sink or swim. This is a good thing.

This, along with the poor QB situation, is why the Bills haven't (and won't imo) be signing any big name free agents WRs. That doesn't mean there aren't some decent guys available to round out the roster, however. Some names I think that are worth considering include Ramses Barden, Austin Collie, Julian Edelman, and Chaz Schilens - guys who are young with some upside who will come cheap and add depth while being serviceable enough to be in there on most plays. Someone like Darrius Heyward-Bey isn't out of the question either.

The real possibilities lie in the draft and this one has a pretty solid group of receivers. After signing Kolb, I think the Bills will try hard to trade back into the 20s, netting them extra picks in this year's draft and / or next years. A guy like Cordarrelle Paterson probably won't last past the teens - and if the bills stay at #8 I'd be satisfied with them picking him there - but other players like Tavon Austin, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, and DeAndre Hopkins should be there in the 20s, if not at #40.

This is why trading back is so important. This team really needs to pick up a WR, LB, and QB in the first two rounds. This draft should be about looking ahead to 2014 and beyond, and picking one of the above listed guys would go a long way to solidifying the WR position. If Graham thrives this year, the WR position could well be a strength looking forward.

Great post and well thought out.

A great qb can make all of their receivers look good. Eli, Peyton, Brady, Breese - all have had a rotation of receivers throughout their careers they made look great without having a Megatron/Fitzgerald type receiver. With the addition of Kolb the Bills have positioned themselves to move back in the draft and add picks.

I respectfully disagree. While Graham was not the every play starter, he was on the field quite a bit and he was thrown to. He was thrown to enough and had enough opportunities for catchable footballs, that if he was a good WR we would have seen it. Not saying he can never be good, but he's got a long way to go.

Now we have a new crop of QBs. If we want him or a rookie to be successful we need good WRs for him to throw to. You can't do with a good QB and slug WRs. You gotta have both. It's highly questionable if we have a good QB now. We definitely don't have a good WRs now IMHO.

I'd like to see us draft one WR high and sign at least one WR FA.

It's hard to judge a receiver based solely on his rookie season... Eric Moulds sucked for his first two-three years before blossoming.... Then again, Jerry Butler seemed headed for stardom in his rookie season... Some guys just take a little longer to develop....

Some just suck - like Ruvell Martin...

I don't know about TJ being good or not, but most playoff teams have shown us that having 2 #1 receivers is not necessary. An great QB should be able to make all WRs shine.

I respectfully disagree with this as well. The Ravens and Falcons WRs catch everything their QB throws up there. Perfectly thrown or not. That's the WR making those grabs, not he QB. You gotta have both. Not one or the other. Right now we have neither.

The playoff teams I saw winning all had excellent WR play in addition to excellent QB play.

WR is such an overrated position. Fitzgerald is wasted away because of terrible Qbs. Receiver is such a dependent position. I hate the idea of spending a #8 overall pick on a wr. A qb with a stronger arm would have made our group look a lot better.

I respectfully disagree with this as well. The Ravens and Falcons WRs catch everything their QB throws up there. Perfectly thrown or not. That's the WR making those grabs, not he QB. You gotta have both. Not one or the other. Right now we have neither.

The playoff teams I saw winning all had excellent WR play in addition to excellent QB play.

I can play that game too. Look at San Fran and the Ravens. Did they both have 2 #1s playing opposite sides of each other?

I'm not saying you can have any old scrub playing WR, but I would rather have, in addition to Stevie, 600 yrd seasons out of both my #2 and #3 rather than a #2 with 1,200 yrds.

I can play that game too. Look at San Fran and the Ravens. Did they both have 2 #1s playing opposite sides of each other?

The Ravens WR play was excellent in the playoffs. I don't know if they had 2 #1s (whatever that is). All I know is those guys caught everything Joe threw up there. Joe played well, but when you can throw it up there for grabs and your guy pulls it in, it makes the QB look that much better.

Would all of those balls that hit Graham and SJ and Ruvell Martin in the hands the last few years that they didn't catch been easier to catch if they were thrown by Joe Flacco or Peyton Manning?

WR is such an overrated position.

WR is such an underrated position on TBD.

Edited by reddogblitz

The Ravens WR play was excellent in the playoffs. I don't know if they had 2 #1s (whatever that is). All I know is those guys caught everything Joe threw up there. Joe played well, but when you can throw it up there for grabs and your guy pulls it in, it makes the QB look that much better.

Would all of those balls that hit Graham and SJ and Ruvell Martin in the hands the last few years that they didn't catch been easier to catch if they were thrown by Joe Flacco or Peyton Manning?

WR is such an underrated position on TBD.

. How many Sbs have Moss, 85, To, Calvin Johnson won?

I would not be surprised in the least if the team tries to trade back to pick up Cordarelle Patterson and Ryan Nassib for their first 2 picks.

+1

I can see Barkley instead of Nassib

I'm not saying you can have any old scrub playing WR, but I would rather have, in addition to Stevie, 600 yrd seasons out of both my #2 and #3 rather than a #2 with 1,200 yrds.

Spreading the ball around successfully begins to limit the defense. key word is completing passes more than once to more than one receiver.

I dont think we need a star, just some guys who can catch and run or run and catch.

If you are going to count the TJ drops shouldn't you count the time he got seperation deep and didnt get the toss ?

Ps patterson would be wasted pick at this point in time for us and thats if he actually turns up anyways.

risk.

no WR at 8 please

Edited by 3rdand12

How many SBs have Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, and Jim Kelly won?

Why does it always have to be one or the other? You gotta have both. We have neither. Now is the time to rectify that.

Star Qbs are more likely to win a SB than a star wr. Receiver is dependent on some many other positions. In the big picture of a football team, Wrs are one the last position that determine wins and losses. Brady played with scrubs & won Sbs.

And I say this as someone who played receiver through college. In the NFL, it's goes qb, d line, I line, defensive backs, lbs,rbs, & then maybe wr. In fact, I'd rather have a great TE than a great wr.

Chicken or the egg? If you have a star QB you have a star WR. You can't have one without the other. Sheesh. Way over analyzing this stuff. We need both. That does not mean we don't all ready have one on our roster and it doesn't mean we won't try to improve one of those positions either. Can we improve both positions? Absolutely. Will we? We'll find out soon enough. Or in some cases maybe not. You guys crack me up.

It's hard to judge a receiver based solely on his rookie season... Eric Moulds sucked for his first two-three years before blossoming.... Then again, Jerry Butler seemed headed for stardom in his rookie season... Some guys just take a little longer to develop.... Some just suck - like Ruvell Martin...

The thing that bothers me about TJ is just the way he looked. He looks like a real finesse guy, kinda like a poor man's Peerless Price. I'm not writing him off but he needs to really step up his game. I'm worried that he's not up to the physicality of the NFL and I don't think he plays to his timed speed either. I seem to recall he had a lot of fumbles in college as well.

I was disappointed in the pick. Hope he can redeem himself.

Dont like the peerless price comparison, jury is still out on the rookie (TJ) and i hope he can become a good reciever. Price was a good player for the bills for a long time so lets use him as a comparison.

-Both had similar measurable Price 5'11 194 lbs, Graham 5'11 188 lbs

-Both had similar first year stats Price 71 targets 31 rcpts for 393 yrds, Graham 58 targets 31 rcpts for 322 yrds

-Why im optimistic about Graham? Price ran the 40 in 4.55, Graham 4.35 and we have to keep in mind who was thowing each the ball.

-Price had Flutie who i think was a better qb then Fitz

Do agree he was a reach but still hoping he turns out, opptimistic as always, a true Bills Fan

I'm still beating the drum for Tavon Austin. I don't care how big he is. With 40 TDs and over 7,000 yards in college, he's put up a TON of good tape. I think he'll be the surprise of this draft and will go in the top 10.

WR is such an overrated position. Fitzgerald is wasted away because of terrible Qbs. Receiver is such a dependent position. I hate the idea of spending a #8 overall pick on a wr. A qb with a stronger arm would have made our group look a lot better.

This^^^^^^ !

I agree with the above poster in regards to Tavon Austin. IMO, he's a pretty safe draft pick and might be the type of offensive player Nix would consider at #8. I've heard a lot of GM's talk about taking a guy high, who is electric with the football and can score TD's every time they touch the football, and that's exactly what Tavon Austin is (similar to CJ Spiller). Tavon also happens to play a position that the Bills are sorely in need of. While he might not be the big bodied outside receiver the Bills really want, Austin would take our offense to another level, and would make any QB's job a lot easier. Tavon had a great year and has had a great offseason, and I think he's the best skill position player in this draft. #8 wouldn't be a reach for him at all, IMO.

For the record I have DeAndre Hopkins as my top rated WR tied with Tavon Austin for that spot. Would love either of these guys in a Bills uni.

The Bills passed on Deshaun Jackson to pick James Hardy. I don't care if they pick Austin as the Bills have other needs. I just think there's no way a guy with that production leaks out of the top 10 for a guard or a guy with a great 40. Production. Production. Production. And that's all I got to say about that.

I agree with the above poster in regards to Tavon Austin. IMO, he's a pretty safe draft pick and might be the type of offensive player Nix would consider at #8. I've heard a lot of GM's talk about taking a guy high, who is electric with the football and can score TD's every time they touch the football, and that's exactly what Tavon Austin is (similar to CJ Spiller). Tavon also happens to play a position that the Bills are sorely in need of. While he might not be the big bodied outside receiver the Bills really want, Austin would take our offense to another level, and would make any QB's job a lot easier. Tavon had a great year and has had a great offseason, and I think he's the best skill position player in this draft. #8 wouldn't be a reach for him at all, IMO.

For the record I have DeAndre Hopkins as my top rated WR tied with Tavon Austin for that spot. Would love either of these guys in a Bills uni.

+1 for Deandre Hopkins. Justin Hunter would be fine also. Move Stevie to slot with Graham and Hopkins/Hunter on the outside.

He catches everything. Great pick in my book.

I'm tellin Ya... Hamilton has hands like a MOFO.

Big play potential every time he's on the field. If I could only pick 2 offensive players this year, He'd be one, and Ertz would be the other.