Is Kolb Nix's Bridge to the 2014 QB Draft Class?

Wing Man

That's because most teams have at least one, and most all years there are some guys to draft as well as some guys to get in FA. This is a total fluke year for the Bills where they have none, no good FA and no good draft prospects (or clear blue-chips). The Bills had basically none.

Besides, The Skins just picked two in the same year.

Picking 2 in the same year is way different. The skins picked a bluechipper and a insurance policy. It was a smart move.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picking 2 in the same year is way different. The skins picked a bluechipper and a insurance policy. It was a smart move.

The point is only that they needed two, and teams need two, so I don't see it as different one bit, because if you have none and draft one, you still need one, and it doesn't seem strange at all to draft another one the same year or the next year. I don't think anyone thinks we're going to draft a QB at #8 and then in the top of the first round next year. But a #2 this year and #1 next year, or vice versa, doesn't seem out of the question at all.

The point is only that they needed two, and teams need two, so I don't see it as different one bit, because if you have none and draft one, you still need one, and it doesn't seem strange at all to draft another one the same year or the next year. I don't think anyone thinks we're going to draft a QB at #8 and then in the top of the first round next year. But a #2 this year and #1 next year, or vice versa, doesn't seem out of the question at all.

Again, I have never heard of a competent or any team for that matter, do that in that order. Backups rarely play why would a team burn 2 high draft picks in consecutive years at QB? The only reason I got is their scouting sucks and they throw in the towel after year one. Sure every team needs 2 QB's, and the skins turned heads with their move. But, if RG3 proves he can remain upright, look for Cousins to be on the block in a year or two.He thinks he can start.

I see your point, I don't see burning 2 high draft picks in consecutive years. Unless a catastrophic injury occurs.

Even picking a Lossman, Edwards, etc. they all get more than a year. Hell gailey wouldn't even suit up a competent back up as to not hurt Fitzs "confidence". Good teams just don't burn picks like that.

Again, I have never heard of a competent or any team for that matter, do that in that order. Backups rarely play why would a team burn 2 high draft picks in consecutive years at QB? The only reason I got is their scouting sucks and they throw in the towel after year one. Sure every team needs 2 QB's, and the skins turned heads with their move. But, if RG3 proves he can remain upright, look for Cousins to be on the block in a year or two.He thinks he can start.

I see your point, I don't see burning 2 high draft picks in consecutive years. Unless a catastrophic injury occurs.

Even picking a Lossman, Edwards, etc. they all get more than a year. Hell gailey wouldn't even suit up a competent back up as to not hurt Fitzs "confidence". Good teams just don't burn picks like that.

Well of course good teams don't. My point really is that we need a FRANCHISE guy. I don't think any team drafts any QB in the second round, planning on him to be the franchise guy. They may HOPE he will. But so few do. So if the Bills take a guy at 8, they think he is their franchise guy and no way they take anyone in the first round two years in a row. But if they love a guy in round two as a prospect, it's at least possible.

On the other hand, if they draft a guy this year at 41 or 73 or whatever their third is, they are just hoping and praying he is a franchise guy. And they would think little of drafting a franchise guy #1 the following year.

Buddy even said it after we signed Fitz to a 60m contract. If there is a franchise guy available, we'll take him.

I can't think of a single instance when an NFL team picks QB's high in the draft in 2 straight seasons. Maybe it's common I just don't know? So theoretically, they draft a rookie this year high, sit him(or start him).Then Decide he blows (after 1 year)and do it over in 14? I don't get it. I would think it would be a cause for heads to roll if a legit NFL team works that way.

How about Carolina..? Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd in 2010 and Cam Newton #1 overall in 2011... I remember a lot of people on this board hoping Clausen would be the Bills 1st round pick...

A scenario like this could very possibly happen with the Bills.

i think youre right, if the bills used their eight on a qb then barring something very unusual they arent going to come back next season and use another first round pick on that position

beyond that anything else is really a development project with less 'face of the franchise' committment. so even somebody taken this second round could be a big enough question by next spring to use a first on a bluer chipper

With Nix's apparent enthusiasm (not) about the 2013 Draft QB class, it's worth speculating as to whether we'll all be throwing any unbolted object at our TVs watching this year's NFL draft. Between our endless needs list and Nix's obvious allergy to drafting QBs, it's not inconceivable that the Bills will pass on the position for an inexplicable fourth year. If Ryan Nassib, who would be an obvious Marrone play, slips through our fingers, the reat of the field pales in comparison to the top 6-8 QBs in 2014. If Nix truly decides to fill holes everywhere else first and give them a year's experience, it could be a long three days for Bills fans. Or will it? Any method to this madness?

Just get one next year, this years QBs have too many flaws.

can't wait to see Manziel, McCarron, Bortles or Paschall in a Bills uniform.

No. Kolb is the new starter. We will go WR in round 1, and add weapons to Kolb. IF he fails then we have a team in place for a guy next year, if not then we are good to go. I say we might pick a guy in round 3 or move back into round 2 now

Edited by Kellyto83TD

Kolb is a better option than Fitz. He posted a better QB rating than Fitz running for his life every play behind an OLine that allowed a jail break blitz even when rushing only 4 defensive lineman virtually every play. I think behind a good offensive line, he is an intriguing prospect...

You are assuming that the Bills (and other NFL teams) think any of these QBs is better than Alex Smith, Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn etc. I think teams are showing their view with the acquisitions of these veteran QBs.

There are QBs who have at least the physical skills to be better than that group, but it seems NFL teams in need of QBs don't think that the probability of success for any of the rookie prospects is very high.

Nix himself quoted (at the Owners meeting) that there are 2 QBs who are NFL Caliber in this draft and finding those two is the challenge. The Kolb signing indicates that the team simply views him as an upgrade over TJ and probably wants to protect the team in case the rookie QB is not ready. I still think the Bills will draft a QB this year. Look at the amount of QB scrutiny the Bills are doing. They are holding individual/private workouts for most of the QBs that are likely to be drafted this year. The Kolb acquisition simply allows them to be flexible with not having to push themselves to get a QB in the 1st Round (When most of the QBs are considered 2-3rd talents).

How about Carolina..? Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd in 2010 and Cam Newton #1 overall in 2011... I remember a lot of people on this board hoping Clausen would be the Bills 1st round pick...

A scenario like this could very possibly happen with the Bills.

Again, the Cowboys drafted Troy Aikman in the first round of the 1989 draft and then months later drafted Steve Walsh in the first round of the supplemental draft.

That's two first round picks on QBs in less than one year.

And I'd say those Cowboys teams were pretty competent.

I hope not. I hope the Bills go either 13-3 or 3-13. No more middle of the road. I know 3-13 is more likely, but if the Bills can draft in the top 5 next year it would be worth it.

unfortunately we have too much talent to go 3-13.....--we have miami and ny in our division.

count on 5 or 6 wins barring a miraculously good draft incl a stud LB and surprise QB

With Nix's apparent enthusiasm (not) about the 2013 Draft QB class, it's worth speculating as to whether we'll all be throwing any unbolted object at our TVs watching this year's NFL draft. Between our endless needs list and Nix's obvious allergy to drafting QBs, it's not inconceivable that the Bills will pass on the position for an inexplicable fourth year. If Ryan Nassib, who would be an obvious Marrone play, slips through our fingers, the reat of the field pales in comparison to the top 6-8 QBs in 2014. If Nix truly decides to fill holes everywhere else first and give them a year's experience, it could be a long three days for Bills fans. Or will it? Any method to this madness?

I'm really trying to understand why any Bills fan, or NFL fan, would think that replacing Ryan Fitzpatrick with Kevin Kolb could result in the Bills changing their strategy about Drafting a QB...I just don't get that...

Anyway...

Nothing has changed...They simply grabbed insurance and depth with Kolb...That's all...I would be shocked if Buddy has changed his tune much since he all but promised the Bills would Draft a QB early in the 2013 Draft way back during the regular season...Scouting does not start at the Combine...If Nix thought there were Draftable QB's last year, he certainly should believe there are Draftable QB's now...

Look...I'm already a HUGE fan of the potential 2014 QB class...I really like Teddy Bridgewater and AJ McCarron...Probably more than most...I think it's at least 50/50 that Manziel actually comes out...I only saw Johnny Football a couple of times last season...But to say I came across impressed...well...That's an understatement...I was thinking during A&M's Bowl game...Here's a Redshirt Freshman QB, and I would take him in Buffalo today...I really think that kid is fantastic...

But all that aside, there is no way you can plan for anything in the NFL like that...Even if the Bills were to Trade Down and get an extra 1st Round pick in 2014 it would not assure them of getting any of those 3 QB's, assuming all 3 come out...The better the QB prospect, the more teams will be forced to Draft them...You could literally have a scenario where The Bills pick 4th overall and come out of it without one of the top 3 QB's in 2014 (of course Clowney would be a nice consolation prize in that instance)......If McCarron, Bridgewater, and Manziel were to only match their 2012 seasons, and they all come out, they could easily go 1, 2, 3...How many teams that finish with the worst 3 records in the league will not be looking to Draft a QB when you're talking about (what I think are) truly gifted prospects? With QB play more important than it's ever been...and it's always been pretty important...you can't plan to Draft one in the future effectively because there are 31 other teams that are either in need, or an injury away from being in need...It's just impossible to plan for...You can increase your odds by collecting extra picks in that Draft...But even then the odds are mostly dependent on your team stinking out loud...And to be honest, as bad as the Bills roster looks right now, I seriously doubt they'll do worse than 5-11...

Plus on top of it all, I certainly don't think Buddy is smart enough to put forward any kind of master plan in order to land the #1, or #2, overall pick in 2014...Let's be serious dadgummit... B-)

No. Kolb is the new starter. We will go WR in round 1, and add weapons to Kolb. IF he fails then we have a team in place for a guy next year, if not then we are good to go. I say we might pick a guy in round 3 or move back into round 2 now

I like your style Kelly to me ;). I do not think the Kevin "cob" story has been written yet, if only because he played for a team without an offensive line the last 2 years, and actually won some games. Sure, he had Larry Fitz, but it's hard to find him laying on your ass.

I was majorly hoping we'd pick him up, just because of one of my favourite dictums(dicta?):

Pick up backs from teams without a line.

Props to the OP for putting this up. Nixy doesn't PLAN to not draft a good QB in '13, good ole' jus' knows the odds is against 'im.

Regarding this year, just the fact that KK is still in the league after what he's been thru earns him my support. Then when we find our new saviour, we have a veteran backup, just as it should be(except, of course, in Denver where I'm at).

~AS

I wonder where Kolb would be rated if he was in this year's draft? I think signing him prevents Buddy from having to reach for a QB at 8, which I think is a damn good idea. I'd bet Kolb would be in the mix for a top 10 pick. Now we can wait and see who falls to 41 and pick one there. Is he Peyton Manning? Absolutely not. But I like addressing the position short term to see what happens. He can't be worse than Fitz.

He might be a bridge. He might not. I think we had a chance to sign the best available QB, who is an upgrade over our current QB, and made it happen. They wanted to upgrade the team and they did. It's my opinion that trading up isn't on buddy's mind. He might like geno or someone else, but also know there's a chance that he doesn't fall to us. He doesn't want to give up picks to trade up, so kolb might just be the back up plan. Or he might just want to improve the team by drafting bpa at 8 and grab a QB later. No one here knows the answer.