If no QB at 8, we MUST move up

SBUffalo

If we don't with a quarterback at number eight, the team will HAVE to give up MULTIPLE picks to move up in the draft. There is no way they will be able to sit there at 41 and have their pick of who they want. Teams like Jacksonville, Philly and Arizona are in front of us and may avoid taking a QB in round one. HOWEVER, those teams will likely take a pick from the thick group of 2nd-round talents.

On top of that, the Jets move ahead of us in the 2nd round draft order and will likely be looking for a QB there. If we want to get "our" guy, or one of the "two" guys that Nix has said are likely somewhere in this draft then we'll have to move up.

Just pray this Kolb pickup doesn't mean they're going to just settle for whatever falls to them at 41.

EDIT: My apologies for ignoring the fact that they could trade DOWN from 8, which would be a smart move.

Edited by DStebb716

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your wrong there...if anything hopefully we can fall back like we say every year and gain more picks. I think there is some talent for qb's this year but not in the first round. I like Glennon in the 2nd round and maybe if Kline in the 5th.

If we don't go with a quarterback at number eight, the team will HAVE to give up MULTIPLE picks to move up in the draft to evaluate whoever is left, consider who they think can win the job if taken in later rounds, and remember that there are large holes to fill at a decimated WR position, as well as losses at LB, SS and LG, an injured TE, and no clear CB in the depth chart after Gilmore.

There, fixed it for you.

Your post is a bit confusing but with the signing of Kolb the Bills are not picking a QB with their 1st pick.

Agreed. If the QB we're after is gone by the 8th pick, how do move up?? Ha!

I fear the OP is right though -in his explanation, with the possible exception of Nassib, I don't think there'll be any of the top QB prospects left at 41. Mortgaging the future to get back up, with an already reduced pick allotment, is the kind of crap that has killed this team this century.

If they really like a top prospect, we'll have to get him at 8.

If we don't with a quarterback at number eight, the team will HAVE to give up MULTIPLE picks to move up in the draft. There is no way they will be able to sit there at 41 and have their pick of who they want. Teams like Jacksonville, Philly and Arizona are in front of us and may avoid taking a QB in round one. HOWEVER, those teams will likely take a pick from the thick group of 2nd-round talents.

On top of that, the Jets move ahead of us in the 2nd round draft order and will likely be looking for a QB there. If we want to get "our" guy, or one of the "two" guys that Nix has said are likely somewhere in this draft then we'll have to move up.

Just pray this Kolb pickup doesn't mean they're going to just settle for whatever falls to them at 41.

This absolutely means they will settle for whoever falls to them at 41 (or even in the third). In fact this gives even more fuel to the argument that we should trade this years 1 for someone's no 1 next year and their no 2 or 3 this year, trade both no1s next year to get 1 overall and go get bridgewater or manziel. now that makes a lot of sense to me now that we have a couple guys who can take snaps this year and not drop the ball or win many games.

This post is absolutely wrong. The Bills have far too many holes to fill to be trading multiple draft picks to move up to get what may be marginal talent at QB. If anything, they will be seeking suitors in the 20's to trade down to get additional draft picks to fill said holes. Teams trade up for only a couple of reasons. #1 - They think they can get a player that is a difference maker that gets them over the hump to making a push in the playoffs. #2 - They think they get a sure franchise signal caller that can play at a high level for them for years. I don't see either of those things in this draft. Now that they have Kolb, they're looking past the first round for QB.

This post is absolutely wrong. The Bills have far too many holes to fill to be trading multiple draft picks to move up to get what may be marginal talent at QB. If anything, they will be seeking suitors in the 20's to trade down to get additional draft picks to fill said holes. Teams trade up for only a couple of reasons. #1 - They think they can get a player that is a difference maker that gets them over the hump to making a push in the playoffs. #2 - They think they get a sure franchise signal caller that can play at a high level for them for years. I don't see either of those things in this draft. Now that they have Kolb, they're looking past the first round for QB.

Correct. So you wonder if the Cowboys would be willing to trade up to #8 to take Warmack, who could get them over the hump...

Panic much?

Correct. So you wonder if the Cowboys would be willing to trade up to #8 to take Warmack, who could get them over the hump...

But would Buddy be willing to move down? He has not shown that he likes to do that. Besides, the Bills could get an impact player at number 8. So I think they stay right where they are and pick an outside linebacker, an offensice lineman or a wide reciever.

Your post is a bit confusing but with the signing of Kolb the Bills are not picking a QB with their 1st pick.

That's not necessarily the case. If by chance Geno Smith was still on the board for them they would take him. That wouldn't be the case for the other qb prospects. The conundrum for the Bills in their search for a qb prospect is that there are a number of teams drafting ahead of us in the second round who also desire a qb. What I would like to see them do if Smith was gone is to trade down and then select their qb prospect lower in the first round. However, maneuvering around in the draft is something that Nix is not comfortable doing.

Although Kolb is a pedestrian qb it was a good signing for us. Instead of throwing an unprepared prospect into the fire squandering another wretched season it allows us to at least be competitive and gives the prospect time to learn how to play in this league.

That's not necessarily the case. If by chance Geno Smith was still on the board for them they would take him. That wouldn't be the case for the other qb prospects. The conundrum for the Bills in their search for a qb prospect is that there are a number of teams drafting ahead of us in the second round who also desire a qb. What I would like to see them do if Smith was gone is to trade down and then select their qb prospect lower in the first round. However, maneuvering around in the draft is something that Nix is not comfortable doing.

Although Kolb is a pedestrian qb it was a good signing for us. Instead of throwing an unprepared prospect into the fire squandering another wretched season it allows us to at least be competitive and gives the prospect time to learn how to play in this league.

You're right John but I don't think they like any QBs at #8 but If Smith does fall then they may take him or try to move down. I agree that Kolb is a good signing. He is a decent QB and I think the Bills feel they can build a good defense with a little coaching as opposed to last year with none.

What i think the Kolb signing means....they found the QB they want...hes just not worthy of the 8th pick, they know he will be there round 2-3, Kolb is just a backup plan...i now see buffalo taking a WR or LB with QB nassib in the 2nd!

They found 2-3 QBs they want and are content letting one of them fall to 41. Those QBs IMO are Manuel, Wilson and Nassib, perhaps in that order.

Why not?

Kolb probably got the same deal that we were going to give Fitz to be a backup. I don't think it changes much.

They found 2-3 QBs they want and are content letting one of them fall to 41. Those QBs IMO are Manuel, Wilson and Nassib, perhaps in that order.

I think, given Nix historical lack of wheeler-dealering in the draft, this is probably the correct diagnosis. They found 3 QB they believe have potential as starters, they're willing to take whoever's there, and they don't think any of them will be ready to start his rookie season so they wanted a reasonable option to TJax to avoid throwing a raw prospect into the fire and ruining him. When the Kolb contract comes out, I'm betting there will be little guaranteed or dead money and mucho incentives. They may keep both Kolb and TJax to hedge their bets, or they may cut one in camp.

I think it's also probable there are several other position players they believe will be available at #8 and they plan to stay pat and draft one. I would personally like them to trade back, but I don't see it based on Nix' history.

Edited by Hopeful

If anything, they should trade the 8th overall and get more picks. An extra 2nd and 3rd would be more helpful. Lots of holes to fill and depth to think about. They have 61 players signed plus 6 draft picks. That's still 23 short of the camp max.

I think, given Nix historical lack of wheeler-dealering in the draft, this is probably the correct diagnosis. They found 3 QB they believe have potential as starters, they're willing to take whoever's there, and they don't think any of them will be ready to start his rookie season so they wanted a reasonable option to TJax to avoid throwing a raw prospect into the fire and ruining him. When the Kolb contract comes out, I'm betting there will be little guaranteed or dead money and mucho incentives. They may keep both Kolb and TJax to hedge their bets, or they may cut one in camp.

Agree 100%.

That's not necessarily the case. If by chance Geno Smith was still on the board for them they would take him. That wouldn't be the case for the other qb prospects.

Geno Smith comes with a lot of questions and I don't think it is even a guarantee that he'll be the first QB taken in this draft.