A word about Marcel Dareus and last year

Wow. Just wow. From Chris Brown's Fan Friday...

Just wondering, what’s up with Marcel Dareus? I understand that he plays through pain, both physical and emotional (considering his brother’s death), however I just can’t help but think that he has not lived up to expectations as a number three overall pick. Considering the bevy of talent that was available that year, it really baffles me that he isn’t living up to his draft spot or to his draft class. Your thoughts?

Mike in Buffalo

CB: I think last year was a lost year for Dareus. He lost his brother after the first regular season game in a tragic act of violence. His brother was just 19. Even though Dareus lost his dad when he was 6, his grandmother at age 13, his high school coach at age 18, his mom at age 20 and his best friend from high school at 21, this latest loss may have topped them all. All that loss and just 23-years of age, I’m willing to give him a pass for the 2012 season.

I just don’t think his head was in the game and how could it be? Anyone that has to experience all that is probably wondering what he did to deserve all that hardship. Hopefully he can come back and re-focus under a new staff and be the upbeat guy he has always been despite a very difficult hand that’s been dealt to him concerning his family.

Hopefully he can put it somewhat behind him and soldier on. but jeez...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, he said with so much loss he was scared to even leave his house or travel with the team for parts of last year. That he might be next if he drove his car even. Sounded like he was progressing with healing as interviews went on though.

Still doesn't make up for him looking heavy and slow before his brother...

Hopefully this is the last of his adversity for awhile and he gets to focus on making his own life great instead of all his losses. From the little we know it seems hes earned a lot more happiness than he's gotten to enjoy.

I have never wanted one of our players to succeed more than I do Dareus. His story is one that really deserves a happy ending IMO.

my biggest problem with Dareus last year was he looked completely out of shape even before he lost his brother

im hoping with a real DC and showing up in better shape means a big year for him

my biggest problem with Dareus last year was he looked completely out of shape even before he lost his brother

im hoping with a real DC and showing up in better shape means a big year for him

He looked really fat. I mean fat ,last year. Lost his explosion. I hope this crew can work his butt into some sort of shape this year. His brothers death didn`t help,but as you stated he was fat before the season started.

I give him a pass for 2012. People can say what they want but that is a horrible **** load to deal with in his short life. 'But he is a pro blah blah blah', yeah and still a KID which many forget. Lets see he lost his brother I guess he can turn to his dad for comfort and support...errr...maybe his mom....errr.. Maybe...well maybe you get the point.

I assume he was dealing with a heavy bout of depression... even the most physically gifted, mentally hardened people can get seriously affected by depression to the point of complete and utter apathy. In some cases (combat zone) there's little time to completely deal with it because of the life and death situations, but a 23 yo kid that has already personally dealt with so much loss of life... and then for him to be pretty much alone in Buffalo while the rest of his family was back home dealing with it TOGETHER had to make it extremely difficult. Even when he was able to shake off the depression, it would be in spurts. Trust me.. I KNOW.

I assume he was dealing with a heavy bout of depression... even the most physically gifted, mentally hardened people can get seriously affected by depression to the point of complete and utter apathy. In some cases (combat zone) there's little time to completely deal with it because of the life and death situations, but a 23 yo kid that has already personally dealt with so much loss of life... and then for him to be pretty much alone in Buffalo while the rest of his family was back home dealing with it TOGETHER had to make it extremely difficult. Even when he was able to shake off the depression, it would be in spurts. Trust me.. I KNOW.

Maybe he was on anti-depressents before the season....weight gain,slower. I coached some kids on meds. They were like night and day.Off they were flying around hitting everything looking great. Then come game time a parent would give them their meds, and it was Zombie land. Slow and unfocused.

Wow..."CB: I think last year was a lost year for Dareus. He lost his brother after the first regular season game in a tragic act of violence. His brother was just 19. Even though Dareus lost his dad when he was 6, his grandmother at age 13, his high school coach at age 18, his mom at age 20 and his best friend from high school at 21, this latest loss may have topped them all. All that loss and just 23-years of age, I’m willing to give him a pass for the 2012 season."

I honestly do not think I would even be able to function if this all happened to me all before age 25...Unbelievable.

Dareus is a great guy.

Sadly, he also played out of position last season as a DT in a 4-3.

I think we should all take it on as Bills fans to make him always feel like he has family here with us!

That sir is one of the best comments i have read here.

Yea, there was another thread about this 2-3 months ago IIRC based on an article about all this. The article discussed how Dareus overcame rough upbringing and his grandmother and HS Coach played a critical role in his life besides his parents but he lost all of them. Dareus was grateful for all these lost influences and was trying to pay it back by being a mentor to his younger brother who was the one shot last fall. Poor guy, I can't imagine. Just hope he's all right mentally, tough hands he's always overcome but wow.

To the people that said he was out of shape and fat before last season, you do realize he lost weight and was in better shape than he was his rookie year. He was 340 his rookie year and lost weight to get down to 315-320... Having met him his rookie year and seeing him around town last year he was noticeably thinner and in better shape last season over his rookie year.

Yea, there was another thread about this 2-3 months ago IIRC based on an article about all this. The article discussed how Dareus overcame rough upbringing and his grandmother and HS Coach played a critical role in his life besides his parents but he lost all of them. Dareus was grateful for all these lost influences and was trying to pay it back by being a mentor to his younger brother who was the one shot last fall. Poor guy, I can't imagine. Just hope he's all right mentally, tough hands he's always overcome but wow.

Thx. I missed that and will look for it later.

it will be a feel good story, if he can come in and dominate. He came into camp out of shape, that could be simply he knew the morons that coached him. had set up the team for failure. Then he lost his brother.

I'm sure the NFL, if not the Bills, or on his own has got himself some grief counseling and support. The guy was a big time winner, until the Bills drafted him. Playing on those defenses the past 2 years must have been brutal for a college player known for success.

To the people that said he was out of shape and fat before last season, you do realize he lost weight and was in better shape than he was his rookie year. He was 340 his rookie year and lost weight to get down to 315-320... Having met him his rookie year and seeing him around town last year he was noticeably thinner and in better shape last season over his rookie year.

frankly, he looked like he was running in sand at times early in the season. got better by the end. seeing the weight is something to do with the fit of the jerseys for instance.... but even if he was thinner i find it terribly hard to believe he was in better shape.

Yeah Idk where people are gettng these fat comments from, its ridiculous. It was pretty obvious Dareus struggled emotionally last season and its to be expected after he lost his brother...i was not aware that he had also lost so many other family members.

Hopefully he's had a good offseason to refocus and regather that positive energy we all tend to lose from time to time. He was dealt a very rough hand so far in life but he's also a multimillion dollar professional athlete with a legion of fans and teammates to cheer him on. If anything, football is probably his one escape in life where he can turn his brain off, not think about tragedy, and just play.

Dareus is easily one of my favorite players.

There was no single problem for the Bills last year. There were time that either the offense played well and the defense stunk, or the reverse was true. I don't remember a game, even the 6 the Bills won where both sides of the ball was playing off the charts. I think when teams and players speak about consistency they are talking about both defense and offense playing well at the same time. MD has had a lot to deal with, that's for sure, but he will bounce back, IMO.

Just a little sophomore slump, don't forget the dude only just turned 23 a couple weeks ago. He went from playing for Nick Saban to Gailey and Wannstedt, its no wonder he fell a little out of shape. A hard nosed guy like Pettine will get this guy playing at his full potential, you have to think he and Kyle were a big reason why he decided to come here.