What is the best flavor of wing to eat durring a Bills game?

dayman

Yep, I know, that's why I say I try to avoid it as best as possible. I try to eat kosher prepped meats if I can help it. Shoving tubes down the birds throat and force feeding it all it's (brief) life just doesn't lend itself to an appetizing dish for me. Not judging others, just stating my own preference. Like I said, I'm a meat eater and always will be. But veal is on my list, and now foie gras, and I make some degree of effort to eat kosher meats.

Thats admirable. I don't order veal when I'm out for the same reason. That and its bland.

A quick synopsis of the pro-foie argument:

In upstate NY pretty much all the foie is coming from D'Artagnan affiliate farms which can be best be described as idyllic. The idea of force feeding by shoving the tube down their throat sounds revolting at first, but ducks eat whole fish and their gullets are tough as nails. Its rumored that some of the ducks will even line up during the gavage, eager to get pumped full of food. The studies they've done show that the ducks on these farms have lower levels of stress hormone (cortisol) than wild ducks. Basically they're pretty f@#$ing happy by duck standards. This likely wouldn't be the case if the ducks were being maltreated. I'm sure there are unscrupulous foie producers in France, but in the States its pretty well regulated from what I understand.

I think you can sear up a nice slice of meat butter and dig in to the fatty goodness with a clear conscious.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats admirable. I don't order veal when I'm out for the same reason. That and its bland.

A quick synopsis of the pro-foie argument:

In upstate NY pretty much all the foie is coming from D'Artagnan affiliate farms which can be best be described as idyllic. The idea of force feeding by shoving the tube down their throat sounds revolting at first, but ducks eat whole fish and their gullets are tough as nails. Its rumored that some of the ducks will even line up during the gavage, eager to get pumped full of food. The studies they've done show that the ducks on these farms have lower levels of stress hormone (cortisol) than wild ducks. Basically they're pretty f@#$ing happy by duck standards. This likely wouldn't be the case if the ducks were being maltreated. I'm sure there are unscrupulous foie producers in France, but in the States its pretty well regulated from what I understand.

I think you can sear up a nice slice of meat butter and dig in to the fatty goodness with a clear conscious.

Well that's good to hear, cause my understanding was that foie gras was about to be banned in California or somewhere out west because there were some farms that had been caught perpetuating animal cruelty. I know that the moment of slaughter isn't likely going to exactly be fun for the animals, but I can't bear to eat something that I know suffered during its life for the sole purpose of being my food. I'm not some PETA nut or an activist, I just feel strongly that the animals should be respected and not made to suffer a horrible existence prior to hitting the dinner table. It's the very reason why, although I have no personal interest in hunting, I support the practice and admire those who are able to hunt for their own food.

It's been proven over and over again that slaughter can be done humanely, and this is where I put my support. When I hear or see about a practice that runs counter to this, it tends to stay with me and affect me on an emotional level. The other day I was watching Bar Rescue, a show that I've really gotten addicted to. The host of the show, Jon Taffer, went apesh*t on a bar owner for the way they cooked a lobster. Small things like that are so easy to fix. I fuggin LOVE lobster and I'm all for eating them up with lots of butter. But it's such a simple thing to cook them in a manner that minimizes suffering instead of torturing it, you know? People just seem to lack respect for so many things these days, this is just one more example of it, IMO.

all that stuff is ok if you want, but buffalo wings are franks and butter

This---^

I've worked at 3 Pizza and Wing joints in the Buffalo sprouting areas and I can tell you they all used Franks and Butter. Well, just plain Franks for hot, 25% Butter for mild, and 50% Butter for medium. It's really that simple.

Also worked at Buffalo Wild Wing both Locally and in Vegas and they make their own sauces and ship them in crates to is so I don't know what's in each but it's not "Buffalo Wing Sauce".

Anyone that says any different doesn't really know what they are talking about.

But occasionally I will make my own concoction and I can tell you that a 75/25% Franks to Butter ratio is perfect and then as it Brown Sugar. It's hot and sweet and absolutely delicious.

You must mix all the sauce In a pot over flame to mix and melt the butter and brown sugar.

Edited by mrags

I have been wondering about this I want to branch out from making simple plain hot wings and make something better...it doesn't have to be a home made recipe it can just be something from a restaurant but it must be suitable for Bills games not simply a "good" flavor. Do not leave me disappointed Bills nation. You have a reputation to uphold. May not be the reputation you want, but it's the reputation you deserve.

I find the standard of butter and hot sauce to be not all that appitizing and here's why. Go back to grade 9 science. What happens when you mix a fat (oil) with vinegar. Or in this case butter and franks. They separate! There needs to be a binder, i use a very mild BBQ or ketchup and don't use much butter.

3/4 cup of franks.

2 Tablespoons melted butter

1/3 cup BBQ sauce (mild)

1/4 cup ketchup

2 Teaspoons celery salt

1 Clove garlic finely, finely minced.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I find the standard of butter and hot sauce to be not all that appitizing and here's why. Go back to grade 9 science. What happens when you mix a fat (oil) with vinegar. Or in this case butter and franks. They separate! There needs to be a binder, i use a very mild BBQ or ketchup and don't use much butter.

3/4 cup of franks.

2 Tablespoons melted butter

1/3 cup BBQ sauce (mild)

1/4 cup ketchup

2 Teaspoons celery salt

1 Clove garlic finely, finely minced.

Perhaps if you slowly drizzled the melted butter into the Frank's with a tablespoon of water and beat this concoction with an immersion blender you could achieve a proper emulsification and your sauce wouldn't break? I've had excellent results with using sodium citrate as an emulsifying agent as well. What are your thoughts?

Perhaps if you slowly drizzled the melted butter into the Frank's with a tablespoon of water and beat this concoction with an immersion blender you could achieve a proper emulsification and your sauce wouldn't break? I've had excellent results with using sodium citrate as an emulsifying agent as well. What are your thoughts?

Never worked with sodium citrate, but if it is a emulsification agent would probably work well for not allowing the sauce to break after it has been tossed in the wings and heated up. Getting a basket of oily, separated Buffalo wings is nasty. The sauce might not be broken when they are tossed, but by the time they are brought to the table, the damage has been done by the heat of the wings.

I have been wondering about this I want to branch out from making simple plain hot wings and make something better...it doesn't have to be a home made recipe it can just be something from a restaurant but it must be suitable for Bills games not simply a "good" flavor. Do not leave me disappointed Bills nation. You have a reputation to uphold. May not be the reputation you want, but it's the reputation you deserve.

Doesn't exist.

It could exist. All it takes is a little luck.

I see it now. He stares at the stove and with all his might. "Come on dammit, make something better and I'll take credit for it!!"

That is how it works isn't it??

Edited by Chef Jim

You can go crazy all you want adding stuff but franks and butter is the original, and pretty universally accepted standard.

Further, adding vinegar, salt, pepper, is about on par with just pouring a little more hot sauce in the pot. Find a slightly different hot sauce and add some parm and your at damn near the same recipe. Just saying.

Sometimes simple is just plain good. Butter plus hot sauce. I like franks.

every off season for the past ten million years humans have talked about the perfect buffalo wing sauce

and every year its exactly the same thing. hotshots come in and list off all their fancy shmancy ingrediments and try to claim theirs is the best buffalo wing sauce. im not saying its bad, ive had plenty of fantastic wing sauces, some that i might even like better than classic buffalo win sauce

but thats just it - there is only one buffalo wing sauce. if you are talking ultra classic, works every time, no need to experience that agony of all that work and yet missing that true buffalo flavor defeat, then theres only one formula

franks and butter. youre welcome

With so many Geese why do we not have goose wings? They are a lot larger.

Back in high school I had an English teacher that liked to point out how many geese there was around the school in the morning, but by lunch time they were all gone.

ketchup is just to hold the chunks of garlic onto the wing....purely optional

I think that is what they use xanthan gum for in a lot of stuff... A thickening agent/food additive... I noticed it is in a lot of products... Like Chiavetta's and what not. BFLO food is good for it! LoL... Something to add vicosity and suspension to the motor oil/BFLO food! ;-) ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Back in high school I had an English teacher that liked to point out how many geese there was around the school in the morning, but by lunch time they were all gone.

We had one that called the gulls that hung around on the lawn "snowbirds". If he caught you chewing gum he'd say "go feed the snowbirds" (throw your gum out the window). In senior year I had him for 1st period study hall and 3rd for English. One day caught the same guy chewing gum in both classes and said: " did you wrestle it back from him?".

He taught Mythology as an elective in Senior year. Went over all kinds (Egyptian, Greek Roman. Norse). He said he wpold also go over Polish mythology (pre 1000 AD). A girl with a polish name started laughing. He said: "Want to hear a Polish Myth?... You graduating."

Lot more stories, just don't fall asleep in his class.

Butter..stir in some chopped garlic (Obviously, keep stirring, don't let it burn), Franks, cayenne, cajun, tiny bit of ketchup, and a cap full of lemon juice to open the pores in your mouth. Serve w/ cold beer.

Great point about the ketchup. It sounds weird to put in a wing sauce but it makes a lot of sense. What ketchup has that the combo of melted butter and hot sauce lacks is viscosity. Another problem with standard Buffalo wing sauce is that it doesn't adhere to well to the wing especially the mild/medium wings that are heavily laden in melted butter. Ever have a pool of wing sauce sitting at the bottom of your basket but your wings are bare?