Colt McCoy To Be Released Soon

I'd rather have the QB who put up these great stats in a 4 year college career:

1157 completions, 1645 attempts, 70.3% CAREER completion rate, 112 TDs, 45 s

That was Colt McCoy's college career stat line. Now, I am not advocating picking him up, but I wouldn't be opposed. My point is, you don't find much better career stats than that, but yet he isn't a top flight NFL QB. Statistics can be deceiving.

For comparison, Geno Smith's career stats are:

988 - 1365, 67.4%, 98 TDs 21 Ints

Again, I am not saying that Smith isn't a better prospect than Colt McCoy was - he clearly has more physical talent, but McCoy's stats compare very favorably especially when you consider that Smith had 2 high level NFL WRs to throw to and McCoy did not.

You cannot play in this league if you are short and have a weak arm. You just can't. Stats can be deceiving, like you say, because they don't show the fact that Colt McCoy cannot play in this league at this level at that height, with a weak arm. Very, very few QBs can play at a high level with one of those deficiencies. I can think of two, Brees and Wilson, and both of them are short but have cannons, especially Wilson. I can't think of one good QB with a weak arm.

There are three kinds of QBs, strong arms, "make-all-the-throws" arms, and weak arms. Even Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom virtually everyone here seems to believe has a rag arm, is a "make-all-the-throws" QB. McCoy doesn't even reach that level.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://profootballta...ns-much-longer/

Perhaps McCoy will end up being a Bill yet...

Why is it that everytime a QB has been released there is an knee jerk reaction that somehow he could end up being on the Bills? There are some, for whatever reason, that seem to think everytime some team takes out the trash it's time for the Bills to dumpster dive.

I ain't getting it... maybe I have to lose a few more brain cells and a light will go on.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

"But it’s harder to see why any team would trade for McCoy. He simply hasn’t been good enough in his three NFL seasons for it to make sense for a team to give up a player or a draft pick to acquire him"

profootballtalk

this youtube user does not agree http://youtu.be/xQYPSShC514

colts not slow, hes a fighter i would love to bring him in to compete with t jax and draft pick #8.

his wr's did him zero favors in Cle...not saying he's the answer but i have always liked the kid.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

You cannot play in this league if you are short and have a weak arm. You just can't. Stats can be deceiving, like you say, because they don't show the fact that Colt McCoy cannot play in this league at this level at that height, with a weak arm. Very, very few QBs can play at a high level with one of those deficiencies. I can think of two, Brees and Wilson, and both of them are short but have cannons, especially Wilson. I can't think of one good QB with a weak arm.

There are three kinds of QBs, strong arms, "make-all-the-throws" arms, and weak arms. Even Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom virtually everyone here seems to believe has a rag arm, is a "make-all-the-throws" QB. McCoy doesn't even reach that level.

I agree. My post was meant to suggest that there more to evaluating players than looking at their college stats. I have seen many posts specifically pointing to Geno Smith's 71% completion rate as proof that he is clearly the best QB available in this draft. I was just giving an example of a player with similar college stats who hasn't set the NFL on fire.

The article that Mary Kay wrote (that spawned the article in this thread) carried a much different story. Pretty sure he twisted her words around quite a bit. Misleading journalism at its finest.

Cabot's original piece is a bit more circumspect and respectful but in essence, both pieces are saying nearly the same thing.

The PFT piece is as usual, a bit more blunt.

Who knows if him being released is actually true or not, as soon as a report came out he might be released it was then discounted by browns staff who were leeaning towards a trade or to have him with the QB battle.

here is the link to Colt Mccoy not being released

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154480/article/colt-mccoy-wont-be-cut-by-cleveland-browns-for-now