Flynn or Kolb

HOF4LOU

Whichever of the two (or other?) is best schooled on the offense they plan on adapting is the veteran back-up they should pursue IMO.

Maybe Tarvaris is that guy? I really don't know a lot about him to be honest.

If whomever we draft isn't ready week 1, it'd be nice to at least have someone halfway respectable. And...someone that can help the youngsters' transition based on veteran experience.

I hate like hell to give up ANY picks in our situation though

jb

I think it is a very big assumption to say that any QB that the Bills could draft this year is EVER ready to be a starter, much less in their first year in the league. This is a bad QB draft and just because the Bills (and other teams) desperately need a QB doesn't change that. I am not saying that it isn't worth taking a chance on one of the QBs this year, only that if they do they need to be prepared to accept that he may never be starting material.

They need a veteran alternative. If they think Tarvaris Jackson is that guy, then OK. If not, then I'd like to see them pursue Kolb.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whichever of the two (or other?) is best schooled on the offense they plan on adapting is the veteran back-up they should pursue IMO.

Maybe Tarvaris is that guy? I really don't know a lot about him to be honest.

If whomever we draft isn't ready week 1, it'd be nice to at least have someone halfway respectable. And...someone that can help the youngsters' transition based on veteran experience.

I hate like hell to give up ANY picks in our situation though

jb

Just my opinion and worth what you pay for it, Tarvaris is as good a QB as Kolb and in the right (run-centric) offense he is respectable. He's got a solid rep as a good citizen in the locker room.

Tarvaris is a WC offense guy as far's I know, which fits with Marrone I believe. Placeholder QB. Decent arm, knock on him is decision-making - takes a lot of sacks, throws a lot of picks. Thrown as many INTs as TDs throughout his career. People who refer to Fitz as "Pickspatrick" aren't going to like TJax better. Lifetime just under 60% completions. He isn't "the Man" but he should be good enough to keep us from chasing will'o'the'wisp free agents.

Flynn may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, I have a learned skepticism about one-game-wonders with a high pricetag. I'd rather draft a rookie QB this year and draft another one next year if this year's guy doesn't shape well.

I think it is a very big assumption to say that any QB that the Bills could draft this year is EVER ready to be a starter, much less in their first year in the league. This is a bad QB draft and just because the Bills (and other teams) desperately need a QB doesn't change that. I am not saying that it isn't worth taking a chance on one of the QBs this year, only that if they do they need to be prepared to accept that he may never be starting material.

They need a veteran alternative. If they think Tarvaris Jackson is that guy, then OK. If not, then I'd like to see them pursue Kolb.

That's what I'm saying. I'm afraid they're just going to repeat the Fitz story (and the JP story and the Trent Edwards story) by drafting someone who's not good enough but sticking with him for at least 3 years and then starting over again.

Flynn, Kolb, Fitzpatrick, Rob Johnson. All similar QBs. Except we just released the best one of the group last week.

You might be right, but since the body of work on Flynn is so limited, he's still a question mark in my mind. I would take a flyer on him on a vet min type deal, but not in a trade and assuming a large contract.

I'd be intrigued. He didn't so much lose the job in Seattle so much as it was taken by an absolute phenom. Trouble is, Flynn basically has one game of NFL experience. Albeit, an impressive one.

I take a shot on Flynn in a heartbeat. Look the kid has been a backup in one of the greatest systems out there. Most all of the backups (hasselbeck, Rogers, Warner etal) have went on to have successful careers.

Look he never got a real shot in Seattle, who says this guy can't be a Franchise QB with a guy like Marrone coaching him?

I say make the damn trade then we spend #8 on BPA and move on

I take a shot on Flynn in a heartbeat. Look the kid has been a backup in one of the greatest systems out there. Most all of the backups (hasselbeck, Rogers, Warner etal) have went on to have successful careers.

Look he never got a real shot in Seattle, who says this guy can't be a Franchise QB with a guy like Marrone coaching him?

I say make the damn trade then we spend #8 on BPA and move on

Er....what are you thinking we would trade for Flynn, exactly?

I think he got a real shot in Seattle, he just got beat out.

(and small point but where does Warner come into a discussion re Green Bay's system, Hasselbeck and Rodgers?)

To answer your question, Flynn offers more upside IMO. However, his body of work is very limited, so it would be asinine for Bills to give up a middle round pick for him, especially with the current state of the Bills roster

You might be right, but since the body of work on Flynn is so limited, he's still a question mark in my mind. I would take a flyer on him on a vet min type deal, but not in a trade and assuming a large contract.

I cant argue with that. But that's a big if.

the biggest thing flynn has going for him right now is that he is basically an unknown quantity. but i wouldn't be willing to trade anything for him or his current contract. if he were to be released, my interest would be a lot higher.

as for kevin kolb, no thank you. he has a big enough body of work to show he is not going to be the guy going forward. if he were to be had for the vet minimum, i'd bring him in to compete for the backup job, but i don't think that's what he's looking for at this point in time.

the biggest thing flynn has going for him right now is that he is basically an unknown quantity. but i wouldn't be willing to trade anything for him or his current contract. if he were to be released, my interest would be a lot higher.

as for kevin kolb, no thank you. he has a big enough body of work to show he is not going to be the guy going forward. if he were to be had for the vet minimum, i'd bring him in to compete for the backup job, but i don't think that's what he's looking for at this point in time.

In his defense, he did play behind a pretty bad O-line. I agree though, paying a lot for him (or Flynn for that matter) would be a risk that could hurt us.....as we've learned and re-learned over the years !!!

jb

To answer your question, Flynn offers more upside IMO. However, his body of work is very limited, so it would be asinine for Bills to give up a middle round pick for him, especially with the current state of the Bills roster

So you would rather the Bills spend a higher pick on someone with less of a body of work in the NFL?

I would have no problem if the Bills could get him for a later pick (4th and up) and then go into the season with him and Tjax competing to start, then if it doesn't work out try for a rookie next year unless one falls deep this year (like say Nassib in the 3rd if Marrone really likes him)

• 2 weeks later...

Sheesh. Flynn or Kolb? WTF? That's our choices?

I know the Bills organization has descended into sub mediocrity, but now the fans too?

When will we at least dare to be adequate? When boarders talk qb trade, how about showing some balls. How about conjuring up a trade for Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Roethlisberger... I mean someone who has done something. Why always some loser retread or caddy with a low ceiling?

Damn I can't wait for this offseason to end.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

So you would rather the Bills spend a higher pick on someone with less of a body of work in the NFL?

Well, there are other factors that play into these decisions- namely intangibles, quality of play in college, etc. Regarding Flynn's capabilities, I have no doubts that he is a good quarterback. But are there quarterbacks in the draft who have more potential and better intangibles? It is possible. It is important for the Bills to be diligent in pursuing all available avenues, but in the end I feel that it may be a better option to draft a quarterback and create a culture change in the organization. If we could acquire Flynn for a 6th rounder, I would jump all over that- however I doubt that the Seahawks would consider that fair compensation.

If you're going to make that premise, then why draft bother drafting a QB at all? None of them have any experience at the NFL level, after all :P