NFL Farm System

NCAAF is so strong as an institution that it would be hard for a minor league to get ratings away from them. I doubt that there is room for NCAAF, the NFL and also a thriving minor league. Minor leagues work in Baseball and Hockey because those college sports aren't nearly as strong.

Also, what player is going to play more than a couple of seasons in a minor league for peanuts hoping to get into the NFL? After a short time his age would start working against him and his chances would drop even further. And he's risking injury all along. How could a minor league develop a following or decent quality play with the kind of turnover that this would imply?

For one thing a team's practice squad is only 8 players. Also I don't think teams want to risk even practice squad players to injury. I'm sure it comes down to money. Coaches, travel, trainers, paying the players, refs, stadiums, etc. Any kind of league isn't cheap.

PTR

With the possible rules changes , the NFL will almost be playing Flag Football . So wouldn't an 8 man practice squad fill the bill ! :rolleyes:

Edited by fast*eddie

NCAAF is so strong as an institution that it would be hard for a minor league to get ratings away from them. I doubt that there is room for NCAAF, the NFL and also a thriving minor league. Minor leagues work in Baseball and Hockey because those college sports aren't nearly as strong.

Also, what player is going to play more than a couple of seasons in a minor league for peanuts hoping to get into the NFL? After a short time his age would start working against him and his chances would drop even further. And he's risking injury all along. How could a minor league develop a following or decent quality play with the kind of turnover that this would imply?

College is more like a junior league than a minor league. Besides the USFL or whatever league is not going to flood the NFL with new players. Probably a handful a year. The idea is to give people football in the off-season. And if the NFL blesses it all the better.

PTR

While I want to like the idea, because it means more football, I dont think Id watch or pay any attention. I dont think there are enough players to make it worth watching. Im good with NCAA and NFL.

Well now this is getting interesting.

When they existed, I liked to watch the WFL, USFL, and NFL Europe more than I liked watching NCAA football.

My reasons were that they were slightly more polished players (think Triple A baseball compared to college baseball) and that they were playing professional rules on professional fields.

The one foot inbounds for a catch, wide hash marks, and can't get back up after falling down rule are all examples of things that really annoy me about NCAA football. I also hate the crappy placekicking and punting that is rampant in the college game.

Personally I would tend to watch an NFL minor league more than I would NCAA.

Keep in mind I only watch maybe 2-3 college football games each year.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Well now this is getting interesting.

When they existed, I liked to watch the WFL, USFL, and NFL Europe more than I liked watching NCAA football.

My reasons were that they were slightly more polished players (think Triple A baseball compared to college baseball) and that they were playing professional rules on professional fields.

The one foot inbounds for a catch, wide hash marks, and can't get back up after falling down rule are all examples of things that really annoy me about NCAA football. I also hate the crappy placekicking and punting that is rampant in the college game.

Personally I would tend to watch an NFL minor league more than I would NCAA.

Keep in mind I only watch maybe 2-3 college football games each year.

I agree with you, I definitely think that a minor league for the NFL would be a great idea. College football is great, that's unarguable but only certain colleges really get exposure while some very good players on that go to smaller universities don't get to be seen nationally....ever. By implementing a league like this you might also be able to cut down the on the number of preseason games since they are mostly used solely for the purpose of UDFA's and Rookie Draft picks. I don't know, just a thought!

Do you wish the NFL brought it back? Not saying it would have to be NFL Europe but something similar.

I think it would help player development and evey other major league seems to have one.

I know it would take a lot but I wish the NFL had something like this.

CBF

The Bills could be the anchor franchise as they are essentially a farm team for the rest of the NFL now.

Every effort to develop a spin off or secondary product has failed, miserably. USFL, NFLE, XFL, the UFL is now starting to look like its in trouble.

It just doesn't seem to work. Not sure why.

because the NFL steals every last bit of talent, and beats them up to the point of nothing when they are through. And they pretty much monopolize the market with games on almost all week nowadays. Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, even Saturdays at the end of the seasons and playoffs. Am I missing a night?

Clamor for the UFL if you want some sort of alternative league. How many of those guys went on to play in the NFL?

NFL Europe did produce some good players though.

http://www.shortopedia.com/N/F/NFL_Europe_alumni

And many of these lists are not even complete. Fred Jackson is nowhere to be found on these lists and he developed in NFL Europe.

I guess the other concern has to do with teamwork. Football is the ultimate team sport, so you want your players developing with their teammates. Would plugging in a player from a different league be similar to plugging in a free agent, which can be hit or miss? Plus, who's responsible for developing these players? Even in the NFL, some teams (NE) are much better in developing their players than others (Bills).

Edited by kas23

I agree with you, I definitely think that a minor league for the NFL would be a great idea. College football is great, that's unarguable but only certain colleges really get exposure while some very good players on that go to smaller universities don't get to be seen nationally....ever. By implementing a league like this you might also be able to cut down the on the number of preseason games since they are mostly used solely for the purpose of UDFA's and Rookie Draft picks. I don't know, just a thought!

But how would these players from smaller universities get invited to play in the minor league - versus the kid from Alabama that didn't get drafted?

NFL Europe did produce some good players though.

http://www.shortoped...L_Europe_alumni

And many of these lists are not even complete. Fred Jackson is nowhere to be found on these lists and he developed in NFL Europe.

I guess the other concern has to do with teamwork. Football is the ultimate team sport, so you want your players developing with their teammates. Would plugging in a player from a different league be similar to plugging in a free agent, which can be hit or miss? Plus, who's responsible for developing these players? Even in the NFL, some teams (NE) are much better in developing their players than others (Bills).

Kitner, Fiedler, Viniateri. "Some" is the key word. Unfortunately, the NFLE didn't produce much profit and was shut down.

This has been attempted many times over the past 30 years (throw in Arena football) and has never been generally popular and therefore never successful. It has been proven doomed to fail over and over. College football is wildly popular--never more so than now.

I don't understand why it is being treated by some as a new concept or a good idea.

I don't understand why it is being treated by some as a new concept or a good idea.

Was someone in this thread treating it as a new concept?

It seems clear in this thread that hardcore pro football fans love the idea of an NFL-sanctioned minor league and wish that the revenues could make such a thing viable, at the same time knowing that it's already failed before.

What would it be 3 on 3?

Actually 4 on 4 if you kept the sizes of practice squads the same. :bag:

I was obviously just throwing an idea out on the table. Usually, just usually, ideas need to be tweaked before being implemented.