NFL Farm System

When I saw the title I thought this was going to be about how the Bills are the farm team of the NFL.

Oh how TBD has jaded me ;)

you beat me to it. The Bills are the farm system for the NFL. Just ask the Titans

How about an NFL Rookie league? Take all the UDFAs and projected low round picks, form 4-6 teams and have them play a 9-10 game season with one playoff game for a champ. Keep all the teams close to each other to save on travel, or maybe just have them all play at one stadium. Heck if people will watch the combine they would watch this.

PTR

How about an NFL Rookie league? Take all the UDFAs and projected low round picks, form 4-6 teams and have them play a 9-10 game season with one playoff game for a champ. Keep all the teams close to each other to save on travel, or maybe just have them all play at one stadium. Heck if people will watch the combine they would watch this.

PTR

I was going to post something similar.

I think it would be great for late round picks. I know teams have practice squads but that doesn't really simulate live game action.

I think teams could really benifit from assigning late round picks or UDFA to a farm system that would share the same rules and procedures of the NFL and would help with their development.

CBF

The NFL should get a developmental league going. Start with 10 to 12 teams with every NFL Team supplying players. Have them play in spring (March, April and May) and see if NBC, CBS and Fox's networks might be interested in broadcasting the games. This might be a better way to develop UDFA in the offseason and they would have two months before NFL Training Camps start at the end of July.

I posted this in another thread

I was going to post something similar.

I think it would be great for late round picks. I know teams have practice squads but that doesn't really simulate live game action.

I think teams could really benifit from assigning late round picks or UDFA to a farm system that would share the same rules and procedures of the NFL and would help with their development.

CBF

Why not have team's practice squads play each other? Some travel involved, but I bet people would watch.

Why not have team's practice squads play each other? Some travel involved, but I bet people would watch.

For one thing a team's practice squad is only 8 players. Also I don't think teams want to risk even practice squad players to injury. I'm sure it comes down to money. Coaches, travel, trainers, paying the players, refs, stadiums, etc. Any kind of league isn't cheap.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

PTR

200-300 rookies? They come in and learn a system, play for one year and...then what? And allin one stadium? Maybe the ESPN Zone at Disney?

The NCAA is the farm system for the NFL (and the NBA). It works pretty well. There is a 53 man roster and 98 man practice squad not just for purposes of injury replacement, but also for player development.

Clamor for the UFL if you want some sort of alternative league. How many of those guys went on to play in the NFL?

Do you wish the NFL brought it back? Not saying it would have to be NFL Europe but something similar.

I think it would help player development and evey other major league seems to have one.

I know it would take a lot but I wish the NFL had something like this.

CBF

I think it will eventually happen. There's way too much money to make not to do this in B and C markets.

200-300 rookies? They come in and learn a system, play for one year and...then what? And allin one stadium? Maybe the ESPN Zone at Disney?

The NCAA is the farm system for the NFL (and the NBA). It works pretty well. There is a 53 man roster and 98 man practice squad not just for purposes of injury replacement, but also for player development.

Clamor for the UFL if you want some sort of alternative league. How many of those guys went on to play in the NFL?

It's true that college ball is the de facto minor league of the NFL but not every player comes out ready for pro ball. Are you saying that a chance to play a little longer in a pro-style system wouldn't help some tweeners develop? I'd have to look it up but I think a significant number of players made the jump from NFLE to NFL.

The other aspect is making football a year-round sport. If money can be made someone will do it.

PTR

It's true that college ball is the de facto minor league of the NFL but not every player comes out ready for pro ball. Are you saying that a chance to play a little longer in a pro-style system wouldn't help some tweeners develop? I'd have to look it up but I think a significant number of players made the jump from NFLE to NFL.

The other aspect is making football a year-round sport. If money can be made someone will do it.

PTR

The USFL, the XFL and the UFL want to let you know there is no money in competing with the NFL. No one wants to watch.

When I saw the title I thought this was going to be about how the Bills are the farm team of the NFL.

Oh how TBD has jaded me ;)

Me 3 I had the same thought

As long as colleges are willing to subsidize the NFL's minor league with athlete scholarships/stadiums etc it isn't cost effective for the NFL to invest in a farm system

Do you wish the NFL brought it back? Not saying it would have to be NFL Europe but something similar.

I think it would help player development and evey other major league seems to have one.

I know it would take a lot but I wish the NFL had something like this.

CBF

yep