New Spring League Forming

BRAWNDO

Why would they want the USFL names, too lazy to create new ones?

There is some cachet to the old USFL teams. I was a big fan of the Philly/Balt. Stars. I hope it works. I'd rather watch minor league football than major league baseball. I hope they put a team in Buffalo. Who wouldn't want a couple extra tailgate dates?

I just did a search and can't find anything that backs up Gil's tweets.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

There is some cachet to the old USFL teams. I was a big fan of the Philly/Balt. Stars. I hope it works. I'd rather watch minor league football than major league baseball. I hope they put a team in Buffalo. Who wouldn't want a couple extra tailgate dates?

PTR

The key demographic wasn't even alive at this point when that league was around. There's definitely a market to cash in on, but USFL names will play no role in whether or not they can be a success. The quality of the games is the only thing that will put asses in the seats.

I don't think they stand much of a chance though. I don't think there's as much desire nationally for more football. Its burned into the culture at this point that football is a fall winter thing and I don't think that's a habit that can be broken.

The key demographic wasn't even alive at this point when that league was around. There's definitely a market to cash in on, but USFL names will play no role in whether or not they can be a success. The quality of the games is the only thing that will put asses in the seats.

I don't think they stand much of a chance though. I don't think there's as much desire nationally for more football. Its burned into the culture at this point that football is a fall winter thing and I don't think that's a habit that can be broken.

I would disagree. Football fans can't get enough football. For heaven's sake we watch the friggin' Combine! Imagine if fans could watch an NFL sanctioned rookie league during the spring and summer? The NFL blew it with NFL Europe, IMO. All they had to do is move those teams stateside.

PTR

The NFL should get a developmental league going. Start with 10 to 12 teams with every NFL Team supplying players. Have them play in spring (March, April and May) and see if NBC, CBS and Fox's networks might be interested in broadcasting the games. This might be a better way to develop UDFA in the offseason and they would have two months before NFL Training Camps start at the end of July.

Pretty cool, here's hoping they have better luck than the original USFL. Or the XFL. Or the UFL.

The original USFL was the real deal, in no way comparible to the other sideshows you mentioned. They should never have tried to switch from being a spring leauge.

just keep Trump's hands out of it

Yup.

Wait, am i actually going to be able to buy a new New Jersey Generals jersey? (.... to mane new's and jerseys to close together in that)

As a football fan that lives in Jersey but was born right at/after the USFL flopped, I have always wished New Jersey had a team ( not just have 2 teams play in our state, someone please take the Jets away from the tri state area, i'm begging you. I like giants fans, Jets fans are just terrible) and i've always wanted a Jersey Generals jersey

I would disagree. Football fans can't get enough football. For heaven's sake we watch the friggin' Combine! Imagine if fans could watch an NFL sanctioned rookie league during the spring and summer? The NFL blew it with NFL Europe, IMO. All they had to do is move those teams stateside.

PTR

European support for NFL Europe was good enough. They didnt have any TV deals though and income from stadiums alone is too low. All they had to do was affialiate the European teams to NFL teams or maybe Divisions so that AFC EAST would provide the players for one team. That would make stateside follow that team, thus generate TV interest stateside thus make it break even to profitable.

Will play in former USFL Cities with the same team names.

Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt

In a month a new pro spring league will be announced. 8 teams in 2014, 10 in 2015. Will play in old USFL cities w/same names.

Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt

Some of the inaugural teams will be in Oakland, NJ, Philadelphia, and San Antonio.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/02/17/new-usfl-aims-for-new-spring-football-league/XCnd7SJ1G0tfdiuJB7xUFI/story.html

looks like it is looking to form an independent AAA of the NFL where agreements could be reached. The long term plan appears to have 16 teams in non NFL cities where each team develps affiliations with 2 BFL teams for them to operate as a developmental/spring training fro football teams. the teams will likely allocate it to be 20 players from 2 NFL clubs and then 15-20 players would be free agent signings from college.

I just did a search and can't find anything that backs up Gil's tweets.

PTR

There..............(nah, too easy).

The NFL should get a developmental league going. Start with 10 to 12 teams with every NFL Team supplying players. Have them play in spring (March, April and May) and see if NBC, CBS and Fox's networks might be interested in broadcasting the games. This might be a better way to develop UDFA in the offseason and they would have two months before NFL Training Camps start at the end of July.

I just wonder how all the current issues with health concerns and the wear and tear from head shots would impact that. All of a sudden, you're adding that much more impact on the bodies of guys who wind up playing at both levels.

I just wonder how all the current issues with health concerns and the wear and tear from head shots would impact that. All of a sudden, you're adding that much more impact on the bodies of guys who wind up playing at both levels.

Exactly. And this is why no team would want their rookies playing in it, just to watch their prized rookie blow out a knee and end his career.

These players would have to be unsigned players, not on a regular season roster, trying to showcase their goods.

Edited by kas23

Exactly. And this is why no team would want their rookies playing in it, just to watch their prized rookie blow out a knee and end his career.

These players would have to be unsigned players, not on a regular season roster, trying to showcase their goods.

OR, it could be affiliated with the league, and...

cant believe im about to type this...

be a flag football league?

Great... they will start a league it will be semi successful and then they will file a anti trust law suit against the NFL...

As long as NFLPA does not get associated with it, it will be fine. Only successful alternate league will occur when some billionaire is rejected as owner in NFL and decide he can create his own and be involved. If they are SMART they will go with Green Bay model and let locals buy in to increase loyalty.