Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

Buddy's "QB Tryout Special"

Vince Young, T Jackson, Kolb....

What about Thiggy, was he a smokescreen?

Nix has had some success in trolling the waiver wire and practice squads for big beefy players. That approach has been a colossal failure when it comes to QBs. (hint...teams don't cut good QBs[please refrain from Brees, Manning comparisons] <Brees was let go because he tore up his shoulder and Rivers was in the wings, Manning was let go because of injury and $$$ and the overall #1 pick>)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix has had some success in trolling the waiver wire and practice squads for big beefy players. That approach has been a colossal failure when it comes to QBs. (hint...teams don't cut good QBs[please refrain from Brees, Manning comparisons] <Brees was let go because he tore up his shoulder and Rivers was in the wings, Manning was let go because of injury and $$$ and the overall #1 pick>)

Ha! But what you are failing to take into account is that not just one team cut Kolb, two did! So that means ... oh wait ...

But seriously, they got Kolb as cheap draft insurance in case they don't get their QB in the draft.

If Nix had given Kolb Fitz's contract instead of the incentive based one he did then I would say to run Nix out of town.

I don't think anyone except Kolb really expects him to light it up in Buffalo. But he should be able to make a decent backup which is how they are paying him.

Overall I don't see how this could be viewed as a bad thing.

OK, in week 4 or 5 if I suggested that we would dump Fitz and pick up Kolb to compete with one of the QBs from a draft that every seems to agree sucks for QB, what would decidedly different reaction have been (back then, of course).

My response would be very similar to my response now: Fitz isn't/wasn't a top-tier guy, Kolb isn't/wasn't a top tier guy, so let's bring in a young guy to compete.

I honestly don't see how bringing in competition for minimal cost can be seen as such a bad thing.

Forgetting about Walker and the AFC Blog...

3 million guaranteed for Kolb this year plus another 2.5 mil for TJax... Given the possibility of success each of them brings (both at times seemed to flash potential of being better than their historical numbers), the relatively low cost of these guys is a reasonable expense. We can't depend on the draft to produce our starter.

If Kolb earns the starting job and is actually productive, he'll make more than the base of 3 mill and that won't be a bad thing.

This is a bad year to need a QB. I think OBD did about the best they could do so far. Now let's see who they draft.

I always get a chuckle at the placement of "Buddy" together with "smokescreen".....like he's some manipulative master that dupes all other GMs with his mind games.

I always get a chuckle at the placement of "Buddy" together with "smokescreen".....like he's some manipulative master that dupes all other GMs with his mind games.

There's no question he played up the Cordy Glenn as a G angle last year, all the while intending to draft him as a LT. It appears that move was shrewd indeed.

Buddy's no dummy; his accent and mannerisms are unfortunate because they make him seem unsophisticated. He has failed to adequately address the Bills' QB situation, which is a HUGE failing, but he has done a number of things well. I'd suggest anyone claiming he's a bumbling idiot and complete failure should compare each and every transaction of every GM across the league over the past three years before coming to any conclusions. My guess is Buddy would be in the middle of the pack, at worst.

Edited by eball

While I thank Dibs for posting those numbers, I don't see how it proves anything until we know the incentives. Maybe if he starts 16 games, he gets $8M year one. Until we know the incentives maybe we should keep the champagne on ice.

It proves a whole bunch of things.....but you are right in that it doesn't technically prove everything, and certain obvious assumptions are being made. Why be so paranoid on the concept that there is some sort of poison pill for the fans in this quite straight forward looking contract?

I think we can be safe in assuming that the incentives are not going to be semi-automatic(why write them in the deal if they are?).......but tied to percent of snaps(ala TJackson's deal) or some equivalent.

This means that if the rookie we draft remains healthy and is not a total disaster then Kolb will only see 3m(including the 1m SB) in year 1.

We also know that there are only 6.9m in incentives for the two years......so the total deal with incentives is the originally quoted 2yr/13m deal.

If the rookie is a disaster & Kolb starts all of the games.....he gets 6.5m/year maximum. I am happy with the assumption that the incentives won't be stacked 80% in 2013(to achieve an 8m 2013 hit as you fear) as the rest of the contract is roughly 40% 2013 -- 60% 2014.

You have to be trying really, really hard IMO to see this contract as anything other than good for the Bills. We get a relatively cheap yet qualified backup......who if the fit hits the shan becomes a relatively cheap yet qualified starter.

It proves a whole bunch of things.....but you are right in that it doesn't technically prove everything, and certain obvious assumptions are being made. Why be so paranoid on the concept that there is some sort of poison pill for the fans in this quite straight forward looking contract?

I think we can be safe in assuming that the incentives are not going to be semi-automatic(why write them in the deal if they are?).......but tied to percent of snaps(ala TJackson's deal) or some equivalent.

This means that if the rookie we draft remains healthy and is not a total disaster then Kolb will only see 3m(including the 1m SB) in year 1.

We also know that there are only 6.9m in incentives for the two years......so the total deal with incentives is the originally quoted 2yr/13m deal.

If the rookie is a disaster & Kolb starts all of the games.....he gets 6.5m/year maximum. I am happy with the assumption that the incentives won't be stacked 80% in 2013(to achieve an 8m 2013 hit as you fear) as the rest of the contract is roughly 40% 2013 -- 60% 2014.

You have to be trying really, really hard IMO to see this contract as anything other than good for the Bills. We get a relatively cheap yet qualified backup......who if the fit hits the shan becomes a relatively cheap yet qualified starter.

IF Kolb is the backup, the deal is a coup for us. His base salary is peanuts, even for a backup.

My worry after watching our drafting the last few years is a scenario where we don't take a quarterback in the early rounds and we waste another season or two. Meanwhile Kolb starts, and gets overpaid at something like 6.5m.

Kolb has performed a lot like Fitz so far in his career-- mostly mediocre play with a couple short spurts of strong play. When Fitz hit the open market, the league set his value around $3.5m. It's the thought of Kolb taking us nowhere and making 6.5m I'm not in love with.

If we take a QB at #8 that isn't Nassib, I'll be ecstatic. Until that happens though I just don't know what to expect from this front office.

There's no question he played up the Cordy Glenn as a G angle last year, all the while intending to draft him as a LT. It appears that move was shrewd indeed.

Buddy's no dummy; his accent and mannerisms are unfortunate because they make him seem unsophisticated. He has failed to adequately address the Bills' QB situation, which is a HUGE failing, but he has done a number of things well. I'd suggest anyone claiming he's a bumbling idiot and complete failure should compare each and every transaction of every GM across the league over the past three years before coming to any conclusions. My guess is Buddy would be in the middle of the pack, at worst.

If you think that no other GM took Glenn as an LT simply because the great Buddy Nix called him a guard, you're nuts. It's delusional.

Buddy doens't have to be labeled a "complete failure" to be described as a bumbler. In addition to his serial inability to address the starting QB position, every coach that he has hired in the past 3 years is gone--including HC, OC and 2 DC's. His teams have lost twice as many games as they have won (even worse than the 3 years before he arrived). After 3 years, the team is in no better (or worse) shape than when he got here. That's a "middle of the pack" resume?

Ha! But what you are failing to take into account is that not just one team cut Kolb, two did! So that means ... oh wait

This statement is false. Do you follow football at all?

Gordy Glenn says hi.

You certainly don't have to be a complete failure to be ineffectual at your job. His team's record during his stint as a GM is 16-32 with a very limited ability to beat teams with a winning record.

As a GM Nix is in the lower 25% range, and I'm trying to be generous to this nice man. When an argument is made on behalf of a person that he doesn't always make the wrong decision then that is not a reflection of a high level of shrewdness.

I don't bloody care how thick his southern accent is or how slowing he walks or talks. On the basis of his team's cumulative record and the current shallowness of the roster he has assembled he has demonstrated a level of mediocrity that has for a very long time plagued this bumbling franchise.

Actually no, just the Bills.

But yeah, one release and one trade because they didn't want to pay him that much to play behind Vick.

This is not correct.

Kolb was traded because the Eagles knew they could get value for him. Arizona subsequently signed him to a 5-year, $64M contract extension.

The trade had zero to do with what he was being paid, and everything to do with the fact that they wanted to move forward with Michael Vick, and thus decided to get what they could for Kolb.

EDIT:

Here's a link confirming this info...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6812979/arizona-cardinals-complete-trade-philadelphia-eagles-kevin-kolb

Edited by thebandit27

I agree - the Nix bashing is just an overreaction. Yes, he did fail to draft a legitimate QB since his arrival, but how much of that was due to Gailey and or Ralph? I don't know the answer to that, but I would guess Nix trusted Gailey to either say, "I've got my guy", or, "I need some talent for competition". I actually have a feeling Gailey DIDN'T want any competition for Fitz, in case said competition made Gailey look like a stubborn fool - and once that contract was signed, forget it!

Nix has this draft to really change the perception that he's failed. If he comes away from this draft with a promising young QB, and answers at WR, ILB, G, and TE - he might just look like the GM that turned this franchise around.

This statement is false. Do you follow football at all?

Gordy Glenn says hi.

If you think that no other GM took Glenn as an LT simply because the great Buddy Nix called him a guard, you're nuts. It's delusional.

Buddy doens't have to be labeled a "complete failure" to be described as a bumbler. In addition to his serial inability to address the starting QB position, every coach that he has hired in the past 3 years is gone--including HC, OC and 2 DC's. His teams have lost twice as many games as they have won (even worse than the 3 years before he arrived). After 3 years, the team is in no better (or worse) shape than when he got here. That's a "middle of the pack" resume?