No Free Agent visitations

JTO

As much as it pains me to say it, no body wants to come to Buffalo. How is it that Laron Landry, Mike Devito and others have not expressed interest in signing in buffalo knowing that Mike Pettine is there. At this point, all we could hope for are trades.

Mike Pettine should have a new nickname. "Bubonic"

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a nice long reply typed out, but I don't have it in me anymore. I'm tired, and have bigger fish to fry than our views on analytics. So I'll just say farewell to you personally RuntheDamnBall and bid you good luck and best wishes.

Same to you. Nothing personal. I just think there's no evidence out for us on this. The Bills don't give us many reasons to trust them, but I am not sure I would throw this particular baby out with the bathwater.

Analytics. Get used to it. Big name money players will leave, including Spiller if he commands a big payday.

Oakland A's are the model. Guys like Miguel Tejada, the Giambi Brothers and Barry Zito all left for big contracts. That's the way the Bills are going to handle it now. Be prepared.

This isn't Baseball. NFL has a cap floor which will prevent "moneyball" from ever truly being applied to the Bills. Getting bargains here and there is crucial to maintaining a solid roster under the cap, but not the basis for putting a team together. I think what the Pats have done the past decade is the ideal model of NFL moneyball. Let overpriced vets walk, unless they are a true difference-maker (Brady, Wilfork), stockpile draft picks, and pick up bargain FAs.

This isn't Baseball. NFL has a cap floor which will prevent "moneyball" from ever truly being applied to the Bills. Getting bargains here and there is crucial to maintaining a solid roster under the cap, but not the basis for putting a team together. I think what the Pats have done the past decade is the ideal model of NFL moneyball. Let overpriced vets walk, unless they are a true difference-maker (Brady, Wilfork), stockpile draft picks, and pick up bargain FAs.

THIS!

Yep.

it is also how the Steelers do things and also how the Giants do things to a degree.

you resign the guys you have to have, like a QB!!! because you realize they deserve it. You do not overpay over the hill guys to long term deals that will hamstring you.

You also must have a good Front Office with a good scouting department and a good GM.

A good coach who is working directly with the F.O. and they are all on the same page.

It is called a good orginization. Something the Bills have not been for over a decade.

We shall see what happens. I think the Bills will sign a few more FA. I think the will pay fair market value for them. That means you are normally not a big player the first few days.

Miami has made a huge splash this week. But they still have a huge question mark at QB. If you do not have that right, all the other stuff is not going to win you a SB and that is why yoare here.

As much as it pains me to say it, no body wants to come to Buffalo. How is it that Laron Landry, Mike Devito and others have not expressed interest in signing in buffalo knowing that Mike Pettine is there. At this point, all we could hope for are trades.

Loser, maybe its you.

Dude. If you were an NFL FA, would you be scheduling visits to Buffalo?

If yes, it's likely that no other team is intetested in you.

If no, you've got your head on straight and see there's enough holes to fill and not enough putty.

Dude. If you were an NFL FA, would you be scheduling visits to Buffalo?

If yes, it's likely that no other team is intetested in you.

If no, you've got your head on straight and see there's enough holes to fill and not enough putty.

There are about 10 distinct reasons that NFL players visit and sign with teams in FA, and the Bills offer a lot of them to a lot of different players, including (if the money is right) a couple of the top 3.

A lot of players, especially older ones, want to play for a contender. That is the only reason they wouldn't come here. Some guys, sure, like the big cities, which MAY rule some of them out.

There are about 10 distinct reasons that NFL players visit and sign with teams in FA, and the Bills offer a lot of them to a lot of different players, including (if the money is right) a couple of the top 3.

A lot of players, especially older ones, want to play for a contender. That is the only reason they wouldn't come here. Some guys, sure, like the big cities, which MAY rule some of them out.

Kelly, I generally agree with your posts. You're better than this one. The "only" reasons not to come here are to play for a contender or to go to a big city? I love Buffalo, but there are literally dozens of more convincing reasons not to go there: lack of commercial viability, no time in the media spotlight, weather, unproven head coach, weird owner/CEO combo, longest active playoff drought, facilities and stadium that rank in the lower 20% of the league; on defense- no lb corps, on offense- no qb.

My point is, there are PLENTY of reasons NOT to come to Buffalo. I'm struggling to find many reasons FOR coming here at this point.

Edited by ndirish1978

you mean if spiller "demands." Commands suggests he deserves it and can command that salary.

Baseball blah blah blah baseball blah blah

And did you ever notice that it should be the Oakland "As" and not the "A's," since an apostrophe "s" has never, in the history of English, made something plural?

But to the substance, yes, we will use analytics to get bigger, stronger, and cheaper, kinda like the Seahawks have been doing. Or like the Buccaneers thought they were doing with the whole "youngry" thing. And notice its "Buccaneers" and not "Buccaneer's"

(and yes, I am aware that the Oakland baseball team has trademarked the term "A's" instead of "As" and that they realize they are stuck with a grammatically incorrect term. Much has been written about it. But its still dumb. But cf: http://thegrammarvan...the-oakland-as/)

Actually, using "A's" is grammatically correct. It's even in the article you linked: "When discussing a single letter in the plural form, one always adds an apostrophe."

It has only been two days people. Patience is a virtue. There is still a lot of good talent out there.

And even if they don't, I would rather see them sign no one instead of overpaying. We are at least a couple years away. I think we focus on young talent and let the other teams over spend on vets. jmho

Edited by Dante

Actually, using "A's" is grammatically correct. It's even in the article you linked: "When discussing a single letter in the plural form, one always adds an apostrophe."

CHECKMATE

I've certainly thought about this; the Bills have pretty important, starting caliber needs at QB, LG, TE, WR (2), and LB (2). That's not to mention an upgrade at CB, and potentially another safety. A backup for Wood couldn't hurt, either.

Now, I know lots of teams have holes, have needs - it's just the way this team has been ineptly managed over the past 3 years, that has landed us in this predicament. I've said this before, regarding something else, but I'll reiterate: I'm holding back judgment until the season starts. Maybe Marrone and Pettine can work magic with players and schemes.

Nevertheless, I can only look at this offseason, thus far, and see two probable approaches the team is set to make. They're either giving the coaches this year as a sort of trial period, figuring out who's got potential, who fits, who doesn't, so that next year they can target what they'll then know are real postional priorities, and come out of this coming season with a 3-13 type record. In other words, they're playing out one long pre-season, with the hopes of landing a top drafting spot next year, where there'll be some really big star talent.

Or, the Bills are taking FA slowly, waiting to get "contributors" for cheap contracts. They think they're not too far off from being good, don't see a lot of need for urgency, and are planning on doing most of their personnel additions via the draft. The only problem with that is we only have 6 picks in this draft.

If the Bills don't get going and bring in some LB, WR, and maybe CB help in this FA, I think it's a message that the Bills are - ONCE AGAIN - not expecting and preparing to win next year. I'd rather we lose big, in that scenario, than end up with 5 or 6 meaningless wins and - ONCE AGAIN - missing out on the type of player the Bills need.

I'll wait and see - but I've just been getting more and more of a feeling lately that Nix is not doing a very good job. I've written before how I like his personnel evaluations, and that I think he's brought in some really good football players at excellent value, which he has. But, the flip flopping of the defense over the last 3 years has really hurt this team, because we've got too many guys that don't fit perfectly into what we're now doing. I can only imagine we're going to be seeing a Mario Williams playing OLB and we're going to be wondering, "why did we pay this guy 20 million a year!"

I recognize I'm not an expert, and I trust Pettine and Marone to have good evaluation skills. It's happened in the past where teams of mid-level talent have made it very far, and been consistently good, because they're well prepared, excellently coached, and the players are used to their max talent. We might benefit from just such a staff - and this team might be playing great next year (I hope), but Nix really has to make this offseason (and especially the draft) a masterpiece.

They've only made one signing. Does it bother me? No. They have a plan which we will learn more about as time goes on. Anything here is speculation, although certain posters do provide some great analysis.

The only thing I know for sure is that as soon as they make their next signing in FA, this board will light up like a Christmas tree with negativity. Over half the people here will say bad move. As though they know better than the coaches. Doesn't matter who they sign. You watch !! LOL !

EDIT:

Or, the Bills are taking FA slowly, waiting to get "contributors" for cheap contracts. They think they're not too far off from being good, don't see a lot of need for urgency,

IMO..the above quote by Khollow is exactly what they are doing.

jb

Edited by jaybee

what good football organizations dip into free agency hard core ? I like the different approach yes we need to fill some holes but the approach of go out and sign 10 guys never works. Find me an example

Depends how you define "works"

Ring?

Winning record for a couple years? 5 years?

Yes. Spiller will get all the action until a QB develops, will play out his rookie contract, will have awesome stats (as he is the only good player on the team and getting 40 touches a game while the Qb develops) and will leave after his contract is up. And the Bills beat goes on. We will have a QB and no running game.

Right. bunch of Kirk Morrisons and Bryan Scotts. that'll get you in the playoffs. not in my lifetime. and we will praise the Bills for "not overpaying" as they trot out a minor league football team. Give me the Denver Broncos. That is a team that wants to win a title. Or Miami. Doing what it takes in a big boy league. While the Bills stay "financially prudent" as another season goes in the toilet.

Well Miami had better win now, because they will be in cap hell next year.

All this free agent talk is background noise. The reason this team and almost everybody in the bottom 10 is a complete mess is because of the QB position. Obviously it's fun to banter back and forth about who might be signed or who wasn't signed, but seriously, what difference does it make?

The Bills need to hit on the "golden ticket" in this draft or next year's draft. Like the Niners did and like the Seahawks did. The Seahawks were kind of being laughed at this time last year. If Wilson never developed as fast as he did and they had to go with Flynn, that team would not have made the playoffs and would be looked at like an average club.

So the #1, #2, #3 ect. most important thing to make this franchise successful again is to hit on the "golden ticket" franchise QB. BTW, I don't think Smith is the "golden ticket", I think Manuel and Scott are the possible "golden ticket" QBs I'd target in this draft.

This. A good QB instantly fills a lot of holes on a team.

I've certainly thought about this; the Bills have pretty important, starting caliber needs at QB, LG, TE, WR (2), and LB (2). That's not to mention an upgrade at CB, and potentially another safety. A backup for Wood couldn't hurt, either.

Now, I know lots of teams have holes, have needs - it's just the way this team has been ineptly managed over the past 3 years, that has landed us in this predicament. I've said this before, regarding something else, but I'll reiterate: I'm holding back judgment until the season starts. Maybe Marrone and Pettine can work magic with players and schemes.

Nevertheless, I can only look at this offseason, thus far, and see two probable approaches the team is set to make. They're either giving the coaches this year as a sort of trial period, figuring out who's got potential, who fits, who doesn't, so that next year they can target what they'll then know are real postional priorities, and come out of this coming season with a 3-13 type record. In other words, they're playing out one long pre-season, with the hopes of landing a top drafting spot next year, where there'll be some really big star talent.

Or, the Bills are taking FA slowly, waiting to get "contributors" for cheap contracts. They think they're not too far off from being good, don't see a lot of need for urgency, and are planning on doing most of their personnel additions via the draft. The only problem with that is we only have 6 picks in this draft.

If the Bills don't get going and bring in some LB, WR, and maybe CB help in this FA, I think it's a message that the Bills are - ONCE AGAIN - not expecting and preparing to win next year. I'd rather we lose big, in that scenario, than end up with 5 or 6 meaningless wins and - ONCE AGAIN - missing out on the type of player the Bills need.

I'll wait and see - but I've just been getting more and more of a feeling lately that Nix is not doing a very good job. I've written before how I like his personnel evaluations, and that I think he's brought in some really good football players at excellent value, which he has. But, the flip flopping of the defense over the last 3 years has really hurt this team, because we've got too many guys that don't fit perfectly into what we're now doing. I can only imagine we're going to be seeing a Mario Williams playing OLB and we're going to be wondering, "why did we pay this guy 20 million a year!"

I recognize I'm not an expert, and I trust Pettine and Marone to have good evaluation skills. It's happened in the past where teams of mid-level talent have made it very far, and been consistently good, because they're well prepared, excellently coached, and the players are used to their max talent. We might benefit from just such a staff - and this team might be playing great next year (I hope), but Nix really has to make this offseason (and especially the draft) a masterpiece.

In 6 games at olb he had 6 sacks

And he's not getting 20 per

On the Mario front atleast

Did you guys hear that they called Lawson at 12:01 on Saturday? That tells me that they are trying.

Yes, they are trying, but we are seeing little in the way of results, unless Lawson was the only person they called. And it also took him a while to get signed, so was probably weighing his other options.

The Bills have been too quiet. I haven't heard of them expressing any interest in anyone this off season. Makes no sense.

They are fine in terms of cap space. They have plenty of room cap-wise to get better. It's almost as if they plan on winning ~2-3 games next year.

Look up a list of available free agent QBs, LBs, and WRs and tell me who they should bring in.

There wasn't a lot out there to fit our needs this year, and we're still in that First 3 Days of FA period where teams are grossly overpaying guys that they'll have to cut a couple years later (see: Wallace in Miami).