P Manning just cost the Broncos another 40 million

Mr. WEO

I heard a "startistic" last night on the ESPN lasrt night about huge NFL contracts. I wish I could remember who said it, but they claimed that only about 33% of $100+million contracts singed in the NFL over the last 15 years actually are seen all the way through...meanig (to me) signing a monster deal doesn't really mean so much in the NFL...the only relevant number, as far as players should be concerned, is the guaranteed dollars.

To me, it would seem there would come a point where guys in situations like Flacco was in this off-season would realize, that huge contract you just signed is going to kill your team, and, in the long run...you aren't going to really get all that money. Not blaming Flacco, just using him as an example. Flacco is getting a nice paycheck, but his team could be significantly worse next season...I know, money talks.

OK, I have all kinds of respect for Manning and no doubt the Broncos are going to be in great shape this year...but yeah, eventually they're going to be paying the piper for all the cash they're spending on one player.

Of course, we don't play them in the regular season next year and they WILL be playing the Pats, so good luck to them.

It would be worth 100M over 3 years.

60M is a GD deal.

Its basically price-leSs to have peyton Manning as your QB. If there were no salary cap he could make 100M a year.

The Cap gives clubs a bargin for Manning.

Yeah, I bet the Broncos are really regretting that one. Too bad their defense couldn't cover Jacoby Jones.

Too bad the D couldn't stop Manning from throwing those ints..

He'll make most of that up in jersey sales, and the gate from the playoff games.

I'm sure Broncos fans are livid at the idea of 2 more runs in the playoffs.

A "run" in the playoffs, by definition, must include at least one win. The Broncos got that playoff win the year before (and their "playoff run") with Tebow the year before.

Manning's last playoff win was in 2009; before that it was 7 years ago, in 2006. He has lost 5 of his last 7 playoff games. His teams have gone "one and done" 8 times in the playoffs in his career.

Yea that sure will be tough to swallow when they are in the Superbowl.

Anyone watching the playoff game agaisnt the Ravens witnessed the weakening of his arm--even as the game progressed.

Yeah, thank you.

Man, I mean i just don't get the start of this thread. Why don't we just laugh at the stupid Pats for extending Brady or the Saints for resigning Brees.

:doh:

I'm here to help you! The point was fairly obvious, I thought. There is a lot of talk of FA's taking up a lot of cap space. Yet here we have an aging QB who has recently undergone 3 (or 4?) neck surgeries and who, in his prime, has been king of the regular season and come up small in the playoffs. Now he is going to make 40 million dollars over the next two years, even if he never takes another snap.

Guys here are mouthing off about how Flacco is sucking up al ot of cap space with his new contract--as though he is being greedy. Yet his playoff record has been been far better than Manning's over the past 5 years (for Flacco's whole career, actually).

The Colts paid Manning 178 million over his career there. Now the Broncos are on the hook for at least 58 million after 1 season--meaning if his atlas gets knocked off his axis in training camp, he gets all that for 1 year's work (which resulted in another 1st round playoff loss).

I think this is crazy to tie up all that money on Mannign at this point in his career.

You can claim all you want that Manning chokes in the playoffs but he does just as much, if not more, than any other QB in getting his team there. And who wouldn't overpay for last year's numbers - 68.6%, 4,659 yards, 37 TDs, 11 INTs, 105.8 QB rating?

Too bad the D couldn't stop Manning from throwing those ints..

A "run" in the playoffs, by definition, must include at least one win. The Broncos got that playoff win the year before (and their "playoff run") with Tebow the year before.

Manning's last playoff win was in 2009; before that it was 7 years ago, in 2006. He has lost 5 of his last 7 playoff games. His teams have gone "one and done" 8 times in the playoffs in his career.

Anyone watching the playoff game agaisnt the Ravens witnessed the weakening of his arm--even as the game progressed.

I'm here to help you! The point was fairly obvious, I thought. There is a lot of talk of FA's taking up a lot of cap space. Yet here we have an aging QB who has recently undergone 3 (or 4?) neck surgeries and who, in his prime, has been king of the regular season and come up small in the playoffs. Now he is going to make 40 million dollars over the next two years, even if he never takes another snap.

Guys here are mouthing off about how Flacco is sucking up al ot of cap space with his new contract--as though he is being greedy. Yet his playoff record has been been far better than Manning's over the past 5 years (for Flacco's whole career, actually).

The Colts paid Manning 178 million over his career there. Now the Broncos are on the hook for at least 58 million after 1 season--meaning if his atlas gets knocked off his axis in training camp, he gets all that for 1 year's work (which resulted in another 1st round playoff loss).

I think this is crazy to tie up all that money on Mannign at this point in his career.

WEO...in fairness to you I do see you point. Truly I do.

However, I am being completely honestly when I say this; I would take such risk and I would take the regular season success even if it meant a likely failure in the post season.

Jim Kelly didn't win one Super Bowl, not one.

...I'd take that all over again for twenty million a pop without blinking if we were 10-6 and in the playoffs at the end of the season, let alone 13-3, even with a one and done playoff.

Yes, I am absolutely, positively THAT FREAKIN' STARVED FOR WINNING WITH THIS TEAM!

Go Bills.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts