NFL Network: Who's in deeper ****, the Bills or Jets

Unanimous reply: Jets. All were thrilled with the fact we actually are recognizing (and cutting) overpaid, underperforming veterans who have proven they cannot help us win and now have some cap space to be flexible while retaining young talented pieces at skill positions.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Unanimous reply: Jets. All were thrilled with the fact we actually are recognizing (and cutting) overpaid, underperforming veterans who have proven they cannot help us win and now have some cap space to be flexible while retaining young talented pieces at skill positions.

There is a lot of desperate griping that the franchise is collapsing, especially with the beginning of free agency and the loss of Levitre and releasing of Fitz. But I see things a little differently. As you smartly noted this roster is steadily being shedded of the older players and poor value contracts. Kelsay, Wilson, Barnett and Fitz are an example of that process. The Levitre departure is simply an inevitable product of the cap system. No team is immune from losing good players to the market. Look at what is going on with the Ravens.

When the more enticing upper tier free agent players are scooped up there is going to be a lot of solid free agent bargains that can be added to the roster. Without a doubt the Bills are very far away from being a serious contending team but the only way to get to that point is to function in a very smart way. So far I see that is happening.

The worst thing that this organization can do is panic and go for the short term remedy. When you take that approach you are chasing fools gold. The essential ingredient to success is drafting well. That is the big challenge for this troubled franchise.

There is a lot of desperate griping that the franchise is collapsing, especially with the beginning of free agency and the loss of Levitre and releasing of Fitz. But I see things a little differently. As you smartly noted this roster is steadily being shedded of the older players and poor value contracts. Kelsay, Wilson, Barnett and Fitz are an example of that process. The Levitre departure is simply an inevitable product of the cap system. No team is immune from losing good players to the market. Look at what is going on with the Ravens.

When the more enticing upper tier free agent players are scooped up there is going to be a lot of solid free agent bargains that can be added to the roster. Without a doubt the Bills are very far away from being a serious contending team but the only way to get to that point is to function in a very smart way. So far I see that is happening.

The worst thing that this organization can do is panic and go for the short term remedy. When you take that approach you are chasing fools gold. The essential ingredient to success is drafting well. That is the big challenge for this troubled franchise.

John:

The same guy who is responsible for those poor-value vet contracts is still making the decisions. And he did nothing to anticipate these departures.

The difference between the Bills and teams like the Ravens is that the Ravens do a better job of anticipating and planning for these types of events.

You keep saying that you're ok with letting Levitre walk. I think you're being somewhat shortsighted. Levitre should've been locked up LAST YEAR. Or, alternatively, if Nix knew that he wasn't going to lock him up last year, his replacement should've been drafted or signed LAST YEAR. Nix could've drafted a guard instead of wasting picks on Ron Brooks, Tank Carder, Mark Asper, and John Potter. Instead, he once again demonstrated his ineptness as a GM by failing to address an upcoming departure. The result is that we have as many holes on the roster as we did when Nix took over, and not enough draft picks to fill the void. We're staring at a 1-15 season and anyone who doesn't see this is a fool.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

John:

The same guy who is responsible for those poor-value vet contracts is still making the decisions. And he did nothing to anticipate these departures.

The difference between the Bills and teams like the Ravens is that the Ravens do a better job of anticipating and planning for these types of events.

You keep saying that you're ok with letting Levitre walk. I think you're being somewhat shortsighted. Levitre should've been locked up LAST YEAR. Or, alternatively, if Nix knew that he wasn't going to lock him up last year, his replacement should've been drafted or signed LAST YEAR. Nix could've drafted a guard instead of wasting picks on Ron Brooks, Tank Carder, Mark Asper, and John Potter. Instead, he once again demonstrated his ineptness as a GM by failing to address an upcoming departure. The result is that we have as many holes on the roster as we did when Nix took over, and not enough draft picks to fill the void. We're staring at a 1-15 season and anyone who doesn't see this is a fool.

You are so right, why would Nix not draft a guard in the 2012 draft instead of wasting a pick on Mark Asper. What position does Asper play again? Does anyone know? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

You are so right, why would Nix not draft a guard in the 2012 draft instead of wasting a pick on Mark Asper. What position does Asper play again? Does anyone know? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I assume Coach Wednesday is in the camp that believes it inconceiveable for a team to try to stash its 6th & 7th picks on the practice squad. Our bumbling hick GM drafted so poorly, other teams were scavenging late picks off our waiver wire.

2012 offseason: Bills are finally on their way to the playoffs

2013 offseason: Bills are a joke again.

Get a real QB and everything else falls into place. Same thing with the Jets.

Funny you mention the Jets, because I seem to recall them going all in on a QB not that long ago. In fact, some would say they doubled down in the trade with the Broncos for another QB that led a team to the playoffs. But, to look at the Jets now, one generally sees them in free fall.

Point being, that it's easy to say it. Daggummit, even Buddy Nix has said it. Countless times now. But there is a world of difference between saying it and actually finding a Hall of Fame caliber QB.

This place cracks me up. Was anyone talking about giving Levitre 46.8m with 26m guaranteed at this time last year? Was Buddy supposed to do that? Really? For a decent, durable G (but nothing more) who's never been recognized by his peers or voting media as an elite player?

This place is insufferable. I look forward to reading the slams every time Spiller is dumped for a loss and/or Chris Johnson rips off a long gainer because we all know those things never happened before Levitre chose to go elsewhere and the Titans decided to show him the money.

GO BILLS!!!

Drafting a 26-year-old guard, even in the sixth round, and then releasing him is terribly embarrassing for a professional GM.

2012 offseason: Bills are finally on their way to the playoffs

2013 offseason: Bills are a joke again.

Get a real QB and everything else falls into place. Same thing with the Jets.

pretty much. They really should draft two QBs like the redskins did last year, even if their second QB they draft is someone they stash on PS. Gotta get the QB position settled. We haven't made any attempts really at getting it fixed up.

This place cracks me up. Was anyone talking about giving Levitre 46.8m with 26m guaranteed at this time last year? Was Buddy supposed to do that? Really? For a decent, durable G (but nothing more) who's never been recognized by his peers or voting media as an elite player?

This place is insufferable. I look forward to reading the slams every time Spiller is dumped for a loss and/or Chris Johnson rips off a long gainer because we all know those things never happened before Levitre chose to go elsewhere and the Titans decided to show him the money.

GO BILLS!!!

My favorite part about this place has to be how the cuts the Bills have made so far, aside from Nelson and letting Levitre go, were all moves that people were asking for anyways, now that they happen and the Bills have yet to sign anyone 2/3rds into the first 24 hours of Free Agency, the sky is falling and they will be lucky to win a game this year

I was expecting alot more people here saying that the Bills are in Deeper **** then the Jets though just because they are the Bills, while applauding the Jets front office for the moves they have been making so far...........

pretty much. They really should draft two QBs like the redskins did last year, even if their second QB they draft is someone they stash on PS. Gotta get the QB position settled. We haven't made any attempts really at getting it fixed up.

I would assume that "second drafted QB" would be snapped up by another team, assuming he's a high fifth or sixth round pick.