DeadSpin - Convo Between Nix and Tampa GM

Fitz and his agent know for sure that the Bills are not bluffing.

Right. But in this case, there is really no incentive for either of them to show their hand until the deadline comes for a decision to be made. I fully expect Fitz to restructure on Bill friendly terms, compete for the starting role (unless perhaps we draft Geno at #8) and win it.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We're still struggling here with our quarterback...We're not really struggling--he's going to have to do something,

or we'll have to."

"We just can't afford to pay that kind of money for a guy who's fighting for probably a backup job."

Just do it Buddy..............Cut Fitz already............

This from the GM who signed him to a huge extension just last year. The Bills are going nowhere with him as GM. He should have been fired two seasons ago. He's done nothing but fleece Ralph Wilson's wallet.

That's what I heard. But then again, I guess we hear what we want to hear. I think Buddy is among the most incompetent GMs in Buffalo Bills history. So everything I hear out of his mouth supports that conclusion. I can accept that.

It's fine that you think that, but don't make up whatever quotes you like and try to pass them off as legitimate.

There is that. :D

Fitz and his agent know for sure that the Bills are not bluffing.

This is definitely a win despite the media circus around this. Pressure is on Fitz now really. How he will react to this I have no clue, but he must realise his best chance to start is by renegotiating with the Bills.

Right. But in this case, there is really no incentive for either of them to show their hand until the deadline comes for a decision to be made. I fully expect Fitz to restructure on Bill friendly terms, compete for the starting role (unless perhaps we draft Geno at #8) and win it.

In the meantime, as this drags on, it affects our ability to sign Levitre and others.

Edited by Peter

Deadspin is liable though since they distributed a private conversation that was known to be illegally taped...

Yep. As to #1, the big spenders in FA are going to be the idiot kids who set this thing up. They most likely violated the wiretap laws of at least one, if not several, states . They will spend a ton in legal fees, fines, etc. to get out of this idiotic prank.

For all we know they could be somewhere in China and I'm sure Deadspin had their legal team examine this thoroughly to make sure they and their source aren't liable. All I'm saying is that if you are thinking that these guys and/or deadspin will be facing charges, don't get your hopes up.

Edited by cosmo

Its kinda comforting to know that Nix views Fitzpatrick as a problem.

Lmao..what's comforting about that? Fit was the same player today than he was when he was given the huge extension.

Buddy is a clown. Nix should say "the bills are screwed because of me" and not throw fitz under the bus.

You're the one running the show, !@#$. What an embarrassment.

In the meantime, as this drags on, it affects our ability to sign Levitre an others.

Not really. If any player comes along, the Bills have the money to sign him to the amount they want. The Fitz decision will be made by tomorrow, and there are really only two choices, both of which allow the team to have some extra cash and/or cap room.

Total violation of privacy. These guys have their own way of talking with each other, and it's not for public consumption. Players know that the GM's talk about them like chattel, but nobody wants to actually hear it. It's like Leno hiding in the closet. Be careful what you wish for.

This is definitely a win despite the media circus around this. Pressure is on Fitz now really. How he will react to this I have no clue, but he must realise his best chance to start is by renegotiating with the Bills.

His best chance to play is to restructure with the Bills. What other team would he start?

Not really. If any player comes along, the Bills have the money to sign him to the amount they want. The Fitz decision will be made by tomorrow, and there are really only two choices, both of which allow the team to have some extra cash and/or cap room.

Up until 4pm today, we are the only club that can sign Levitre.

Up until 4pm today, we are the only club that can sign Levitre.

I understand. But the issue with the Bills and Levitre is how much are the Bills willing to pay him. Unless the offer completely blows him out of the water, over 7 mil, he will never sign and he would be stupid to. The cap and cash we have because of Fitz really doesn't enter that equation right now. It's only a matter of how much is he worth to the team, and we're just not going to sign him before FA starts.

Lmao..what's comforting about that? Fit was the same player today than he was when he was given the huge extension.

Buddy is a clown. Nix should say "the bills are screwed because of me" and not throw fitz under the bus.

You're the one running the show, !@#$. What an embarrassment.

Most people were clamoring for the Bills to sign Fitz then - even the whinger-in-chief Sully.

Unfortunately, we signed him at the absolute apex of his market value. It has been pretty much all downhill since then. I have a hard time blaming the Bills for this after the way he played in the beginning of that season. Now is our opportunity to get out or restructure.

I understand. But the issue with the Bills and Levitre is how much are the Bills willing to pay him. Unless the offer completely blows him out of the water, over 7 mil, he will never sign and he would be stupid to. The cap and cash we have because of Fitz really doesn't enter that equation right now. It's only a matter of how much is he worth to the team, and we're just not going to sign him before FA starts.

Could be. I was just hoping that his girlfriend (from Buffalo) was whispering in his ear about staying in Buffalo.

For all we know they could be somewhere in China and I'm sure Deadspin had their legal team examine this thoroughly to make sure they and their source aren't liable. All I'm saying is that if you are thinking that these guys and/or deadspin will be facing charges, don't get your hopes up.

The 'kids' are in the breeze, but the eavesdropping statutes are pretty clear and apply to any third party (Deadspin) that replays the conversation without permission. Florio on PFT is a lawyer and his 'ten foot poll' is in full extension on this one:

http://profootballta...-nfl-security/

http://www.federalcr...ithout-consent/

Disclosing information gained from an illegal interception is a federal offense where the person knows or has reason to know that the information was gained illegally.

http://epic.org/priv...etap/98-326.pdf

"This is true of the wiretapper or electronic eavesdropper and of all those who disclose information, that in fact can be traced to a disclosure by the original wiretapper or eavesdropper, with reason to know of the information’s illicit origins..."

Looking more and more like a "Stupid Criminal" story from News of the Weird...

Edited by Lurker

This has probably been posted, but the matter's been referred to league security:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/12/bills-bucs-refer-matter-of-intercepted-phone-call-to-nfl-security/

and what i mentioned earlier about this only running on deadspin for a reason is made note of in that article:

UPDATE 1:41 p.m. ET: We won’t be discussing any of the content of the call, for now. Because I don’t have the time to research the law and because I fear that there could be a provision extending criminal or civil liability to anyone who knowingly publishes the content of an illegally-recorded conversation, we’re being careful on this one. For a change. (The wireless connection inside a prison may not be very reliable. Especially with all the barbed wire screwing up the waves.)

Edited by NoSaint

Most people were clamoring for the Bills to sign Fitz then - even the whinger-in-chief Sully.

Unfortunately, we signed him at the absolute apex of his market value. It has been pretty much all downhill since then. I have a hard time blaming the Bills for this after the way he played in the beginning of that season. Now is our opportunity to get out or restructure.

Exactly. Plus the contract put him at around #19 in the NFL in QB contracts and he finished #19 in the QB ratings this year IIRC, or close enough. Not that the QB rating is a real indicator, but the contract wasn't outrageous at all, and he played to the contract. It just wasn't good enough.

The 'kids' are in the breeze, but the eavesdropping statutes are pretty clear and apply to any third party (Deadspin) that replays the conversation without permission. Florio on PFT is a lawyer and his 'ten foot poll' is in full extension on this one:

http://profootballta...-nfl-security/

Florio did not even link the story the last time I checked. That completely supports what you are saying.

Good post,

Thanks!

but as expressed above, Nix didn't get pranked. His secretary got pranked. Per Dominick's comments, sounds like GM etiquette is to answer the !@#$ing phone when your secretary has one of your colleagues on the line.

Well, yes and no. Certainly if I had a secretary, and he said that a colleague from a company we do business with was on the line, I'd answer. And if the call immediately disconnected, I'd either call back or ask the secretary to do so for me. But if, after calling back several times, I hadn't heard anyone pick up, nor had I gotten the voicemail of who I thought it was (which Nix specifically said at the top of the call), I think I'd be pretty suspicious, and maybe verify that I've got the right number. Probably would've e-mailed the colleague in question to verify the number as well.