B. Scott has been retained by Buffalo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I was happy about this. Now, not really. I hope that Pettine views him as ONLY a SS. And even then, he's not that great of a SS.

He had 4 Ints, 8 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries in 2012. He also has 2 tds in hte last 2 years. That's pretty good production.

im not sure there was a worse victim of whatever new mic was added near the offensive line.... a totally common qb read on where and who is MLB (granted, coupled with some poor play on his part) just totally destroyed his reputation.

im not sure there was a worse victim of whatever new mic was added near the offensive line.... a totally common qb read on where and who is MLB (granted, coupled with some poor play on his part) just totally destroyed his reputation.

I'm guessing most people make light of that and really blame Wannstedt for the actual carnage.

He had 4 Ints, 8 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries in 2012. He also has 2 tds in hte last 2 years. That's pretty good production.

Yeah, Im not pissed he was re-signed. I just dont have my hopes up. My reaction is simply "meh..."

Okay, this seals it for me.

I think Pettine's goal is to architect an EXTREMELY DB heavy defense. I think we should expect to see 5-7 DB's on the field 90% of the time, so he can disguise blitzes and coverages with a ton of little guys running around the backfield.

Any one else getting this sense???

Very much so.He was talking about running a nickel as a base, and that as the league keeps getting pass happy we need to use more DB's. In the Jets greatest triumph under Rex Ryan (knocking NE out of the playoffs) the entire strategy was using a ton of DB's creatively. We'll see how free agency goes, but I would be intrigued to see a system running 5-7 DBs that mix up packages to bring in the SS to act as linebacker for run defense or on blitzes.

I really want to see what Pettine can do!

I'm not too sure if his contract amount has been stated yet....

From what I can see, 1 year, $825,000

There will likely be a Veteran cap discount of close to $400,000 on that as well.

End result....very cheap....can't hurt.

Also, after thinking for a moment, I can see Scott fitting in well into 46 formation. I've rambled on about it before, but it essentially has the OLB and one ILB in a 3-4 system rush the line while keeping one ILB and the SS in at run support. It seems to fit Pettine's desire to bring pressure, and fully utilizes his tweener nature.

Also, after thinking for a moment, I can see Scott fitting in well into 46 formation. I've rambled on about it before, but it essentially has the OLB and one ILB in a 3-4 system rush the line while keeping one ILB and the SS in at run support. It seems to fit Pettine's desire to bring pressure, and fully utilizes his tweener nature.

I like your breakdown and idea, but if we are planning on keeping a SS in for run support, that should be Searcy. Scott is better in coverage than he is playing the run in the box. We learned that the hard way last year.