Carson Palmer?

The Raiders are not taking Smith and prob put that out there to get some trade interest

Pryor looked decent when he played at the end of last season and after using a pick on him and giving up what they did to get palmer i dont see them using another high pick on a QB especially when they dont even know what they have in Pryor yet

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Raiders are not taking Smith and prob put that out there to get some trade interest

Pryor looked decent when he played at the end of last season and after using a pick on him and giving up what they did to get palmer i dont see them using another high pick on a QB especially when they dont even know what they have in Pryor yet

This. The Raiders didn't have a first round pick last year and they don't have a second round pick this year all because of trading for Carson Palmer.

It's because of that steep of price that there's almost no way I could see the Raiders picking Geno Smith. They have to ride it out with Palmer one more year and hope that they hit on their 1st and 3rd round picks to start rebuilding that team's core.

I think the Raiders know they'll be bad this year and will look to pick their "QB of the future" in 2014 when that QB class will have a much more sure thing prospect than what Geno Smith currently offers.

Assuming that Palmer were to become available, what makes anyone think he would play for the Bills? Remember he forced his way out of Cincinnati and was prepared to retire if his only option was to play for the Bengals. If you recall he was "tired of losing" with the Bengals. Now, I realize, the Bills aren't the Bengals (Bengals have actually been more successful while Palmer has been in the leauge), but if he becomes a free agent, I seriously doubt he would be lookig to play for the Bills. Given the freedom of choice, he would likely chose to play for a "winning" franchise, or choose the retirement option again. Sorry...

I happen to think he would be a better option than Fitz/Jackson, but not that much better... but still not a long term answer. He would also command a high salary...

Edited by Buftex

I haven't seen anything written about him lately other than the speculation that the Raiders are interested in Geno Smith because him and Pryor are similar type QB, mobile, athletic, etc, etc and Palmer is not and would be the odd man out because of the escalators in his contract. If so would there be any interest in Palmer?

Interest as far as fans are concerned? Nope. We need to Draft a QB. We currently don't have any

No more cast off QBs. Fitz was it for me. Draft and groom a young guy. If does not work out, do it again next year. If the Raiders let him go, I see him stayhing out west.

I could see him ending up in Arizona.

Because Palmer can make all the throws necessary to run a legit pro style attack. Fritz cannot.

You'd think such a thing would show up in stats, right? Put another way, if Palmer can make all the throws necessary, why doesn't he? Why does he end up with almost a 1:1 TD:INT ratio, and 13 fewer TDs than fitz, who can't make any pro style throws? Why does his superior arm and ability to make every throw end up with .75 yards more per attempt than Fitz, and not something more substantial. Palmer can, but he chooses not to? What's the argument here?

Don't give me the "Raiders are terrible" argument, b/c so are the Bills. When Palmer took over the Raiders they were in the lead for a playoff spot with Jason Campbell, and at the end of the year they weren't. So you're not looking at wins (not that I think wins belong to a QB), you're not looking at stats, you're not looking at overall talent surrounding them (where the Raiders, with McFadden, Reece, Heyward-Bey, Denarius Moore, and Brandon Myers were at least equal with what the Bills put out this year)... so where are you looking?

Look at stats all you want, I'll look at the play on the field. It's a much better indicator on who the better player is.

Ah, you're looking at "play on the field", but not the part that has any measurable result, b/c results are stats and stats are for losers! How did Palmer look last year? How many Raiders games did you watch? How about the year before?

Here are 2 qbs with their stats for the last 2 years, and their 2013 salary (bonus included)

QB A

past 2 seasons: 7232 yards, 48 tds, 39 ints, 659 completions, 1074 attempts (61.35%, 6.73 YPA)

2013 salary: 7.25 million

QB B

past 2 seasons: 6771 yards, 35 tds, 30 ints, 544 completions, 893 attempts (60.91%, 7.58 YPA)

2013 salary: 13 million

This probably isn't a surprise, but just to be clear, we're trying to run QB A out of town b/c he throws too many interceptions, makes too much money, is too old to have a future, and will never be a legitimate qb. Most people on this board have claimed they never want to see him start a game for this team ever again.

Meanwhile, this thread is in support of signing QB B to replace QB A, despite QB B being older, more expensive, and throwing a higher rate of interceptions vs touchdowns.

Do I have that correct?

Woah, just because one guy is asking about Palmer, doesn't mean all the people that want Fitz off the field, would want Palmer.

They both suck, but at least Palmer had something going on at some point. I'm not sure what happened to Palmer, if the injuries and time away from the game blunted his tools, or it was something else, but he appears to be through.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Woah, just because one guy is asking about Palmer, doesn't mean all the people that want Fitz off the field, would want Palmer.

I did not intend to imply they did. Note how I said most people want Fitz gone, and *this thread* (not most people) want Palmer

They both suck, but at least Palmer had something going on at some point. I'm not sure what happened to Palmer, if the injuries and time away from the game blunted his tools, or it was something else, but he appears to be through.

Agreed, 2005 Palmer was a pretty nice QB. Too bad we can't get him.

while I dont want him by any means...what makes you say he seems pretty washed up?? he had a good year chucking the ball if you take away the 20 interceptions...watching him play, he still looked very capable as a strong armed QB (his problem is mental, making bad reads/judgements...not physical)

:lol:

this thread is in support of signing QB B to replace QB A, despite QB B being older, more expensive, and throwing a higher rate of interceptions vs touchdowns.

Do I have that correct?

yes. yes you do

Isn't he the drummer for Emerson, Lake and Palmer?

yes. yes he is

yes. yes you do

Actually, no, no he doesn't. New staff has made it clear its not a lock to be Fitz job, that its an open competition with at least TJ. So the premise that a palmer would be brought in to replace Fitz is flawed, since its not currently Fitz position and may never be again, palmer or not.

I think the Raiders know they'll be bad this year and will look to pick their "QB of the future" in 2014 when that QB class will have a much more sure thing prospect than what Geno Smith currently offers.

I keep hearing about the 2014 draft class of QB's, If Manziel has a down year or opts not to enter the draft as a red-shirt sophomore then the class doesn't look very inspiring right now. That could change.......as we know, Barkley was a consensus top 5 pick last year had he come out and coming into this season it looked like Barkley and Logan Thomas were destined to be the top 2 picks in this draft. Didn't pan out that way, but the talent at QB in this draft may not have any Andrew Luck's but there ar still some worthwhile prospects with a lot of talent.

:lol:

you must have missed two key parts

A) i stated I wanted nothing to do with him

B) the point of the post, being "how did he look washed up?" - that would indicate some type of physical defect, such as: diminished velocity, lack of arm strength, inability to walk, etc....ass tons of INTs is not an indicator of being washed up, its just an indicator of being a terrible QB

Palmer can throw the ball 15-30 yards downfield with ease. Fritz has to out his entire body behind them and still comes up short or 10 yards over the WRs head. Palmer is a much better QB. Those that use stats to equate ability are clueless. I'm not saying Palmer is the answer, but he'd allow our offense to open up and our play callers to call 20-50 yards passes and not immediately second guess themselves or cringe. Fritz sucks. Palmer is better. Stats are lol.

Because Palmer can make all the throws necessary to run a legit pro style attack. Fritz cannot. Fritzs ability, or lack thereof, dictates the plays that are called. Palmers throwing ability allows for a real playbook and forces defenses to respect the deep ball, hence helping our running game and passing game. Look at stats all you want, I'll look at the play on the field. It's a much better indicator on who the better player is.

I just don't get this. If Palmer can make every throw to run a "legit" pro style attack, how has Fitz outperformed him (or at the very least had very similar #'s) the last 2yrs?

I'll look at the play on the field as well: Raiders are drafting before the bills.

Edited by bobobonators

Here are 2 qbs with their stats for the last 2 years, and their 2013 salary (bonus included)

QB A

past 2 seasons: 7232 yards, 48 tds, 39 ints, 659 completions, 1074 attempts (61.35%, 6.73 YPA)

2013 salary: 7.25 million

QB B

past 2 seasons: 6771 yards, 35 tds, 30 ints, 544 completions, 893 attempts (60.91%, 7.58 YPA)

2013 salary: 13 million

This probably isn't a surprise, but just to be clear, we're trying to run QB A out of town b/c he throws too many interceptions, makes too much money, is too old to have a future, and will never be a legitimate qb. Most people on this board have claimed they never want to see him start a game for this team ever again.

Meanwhile, this thread is in support of signing QB B to replace QB A, despite QB B being older, more expensive, and throwing a higher rate of interceptions vs touchdowns.

Do I have that correct?

Yep. And you can move over to another thread where we have people suggesting we sign backup QB C to replace unacceptably inconsistant QB A, at almost as high a salary.