???? - QB - SEC also ran

There are several threads on here about QBs in the draft. Many of these threads are about QBs from pretty crappy conferences like the Syracuse kid, Arizona and even some vocational school in upper state NY. I mean come on.

I am no x's and o's expert but wouldn't a QB that faced better competition have a better chance of success? Everyone is always saying great stuff about the SEC so I am wondering what everyone thinks about the QBs from the doormats of the SEC.

The schools I'm thinking of are:

Vandy, Missouri, we've talked about the loser from Tennessee so he is out, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Mississippi, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Auburn. Are any of those guys worth anything?

Personally I'd rather look at them than some guy that played against nobodies. I guess you never know but it seems like they would be more ready when the real bullets fly. I'm interested to hear what you say.

There are several threads on here about QBs in the draft. Many of these threads are about QBs from pretty crappy conferences like the Syracuse kid, Arizona and even some vocational school in upper state NY. I mean come on.

I am no x's and o's expert but wouldn't a QB that faced better competition have a better chance of success? Everyone is always saying great stuff about the SEC so I am wondering what everyone thinks about the QBs from the doormats of the SEC.

Vandy, Missouri, we've talked about the loser from Tennessee so he is out, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Mississippi, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Auburn. Are any of those guys worth anything?

Personally I'd rather look at them than some guy that played against nobodies. I guess you never know but it seems like they would be more ready when the real bullets fly. I'm interested to hear what you say.

R.P.I. isn't "some vocational school." It's a top-tier polytechnic university.

R.P.I. isn't "some vocational school." It's a top-tier polytechnic university.

It is engineering which is a specific vocation. It wasn't meant to be a slam. Engineering is a great vocation. I'm just saying that playing QB there probably does not prepare someone for the NFL.

Playing against teams like Delaware State, Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois hurt Flacco...he should have gotten a job in hotel management instead of being the QB at Delaware.

Hard to say. Competition level can even out because they don't have the same supporting talent as the SEC qbs do.

That is why game film, combine, pro days, etc.matter. you have to judge the QB, not the team they are on. It is a hugely different sport from Pro Football, a lot of people don't realize that.

The timing of this thread is pretty interesting, given the Fighting Blue Hen alum who'll sign the largest contract in NFL history tomorrow...

Then we should avoid QBs from big conferencess? Geez dude we should go with the law of averages. If you like a guy fine, but guys that play on crappy teams in good conferences do well all the time. Brady played for Michigan when they sucked. Eli played for Ole Miss or Mississippi I forget which, RG3 played for Baylor. I think it is a good formula. Sometimes guys that played for dominant teams like Sanchez, Leinart, Vince Young or Bradford look better than they really are. I would like an SEC QB but not Bray who is a jerk or the Alabama guy. I am just wondering which one would be a good fit.

I know there are also guys like Flacco and Ben the criminal but they are hard to find.

Qbs in this draft just seem putrid compared to last years group.

Rg3, luck and Wilson all took poor teams from the prior year to the playoffs.

Tannehill and Weedon show promise, and cousins and Foles even looked ok in spot duty.

If this years group was in last years draft, I am not even sure how much would have been impacted.

You say that we have talked about the loser from UT but he has a much better arm than a lot of the other players you have mentioned .

Not to mention he is one of the QB's coming out that are amongst the top 10 QB's this year b/c this years QB class SUCKS !

So if we are going to take a QB this year (which i almost wish we wouldn't) I would rather take the Loser from UT that has a big arm & some things about his game that can be fixed rather than take a complete unknown from the SEC that has no arm, no accuracy, bad decision making skills , & no athleticism so that the pick wouldn't be a complete lose .

Qbs in this draft just seem putrid compared to last years group.

Rg3, luck and Wilson all took poor teams from the prior year to the playoffs.

Tannehill and Weedon show promise, and cousins and Foles even looked ok in spot duty.

If this years group was in last years draft, I am not even sure how much would have been impacted.

Barkley was talked about going 3rd last year.

I hope all the QBs are still on the board at #8 so that we can take the BPA and look to trade up from # 41 to the low first rd and get Barkley. Initially I couldn't stand the idea of another Cali kid QB as the memories of Rob Johnson and Trent Edwards are still fairly vivid. I'm warming up to the idea. He is a football junkie and I could see him working well with Hackett. If the Bills plan to run a west coast type offense then Barkley will be fine. Wilson has those small hands and that makes me nervous in Buffalo weather. If we lose Levitre then I hope Buffalo takes one of the big three OTs. Johnson may be there. Mayock thinks he may be the best of the bunch a year or two from now. Cordy could dominate at RT or even at guard.

Ole miss is Mississippi. For some odd reason, not many SEC qbs have found success in the NFL. Not sure why but its been that way for a while. For every peyton or eli there's a dozen SEC guys tthat struggle to make the scout team.