Bills are placing franchise tag on S Jairus Byrd.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We may end up with Reinhart as the starting left guard, worse things could happen.

If Reinhart played a game at LG wearing Levitre's jersey 95% of the fans wouldn't be able to tell the difference lol. Yet there are posters here acting like losing the 10th best guard would be the end of days. The hysteria is hysterical.

By the way - Byrd is not guaranteed to be back in Buffalo. It's a non-exclusive tag. If, let's say Cincinnati, signs Byrd to an offer sheet and the Bills don't match, the Bills get two 1st round picks and Byrd is gone. Better yet, if I'm Green Bay or the 49ers, I would give up those low 1st rounders for Byrd. No brainer.

Thank you :) I specifically came back on here to ask that very question. Was wondering if it was non exclusive

By the way - Byrd is not guaranteed to be back in Buffalo. It's a non-exclusive tag. If, let's say Cincinnati, signs Byrd to an offer sheet and the Bills don't match, the Bills get two 1st round picks and Byrd is gone. Better yet, if I'm Green Bay or the 49ers, I would give up those low 1st rounders for Byrd. No brainer.

I do not see any team willing to do that. Two first round picks is a lot to give up.

We may end up with Reinhart as the starting left guard, worse things could happen.

We just went through two straight seasons with a back-up QB as our starter.

I don't want a back-up O-Lineman as a starter for a whole season.

I don't want a back-up O-Lineman as a starter for a whole season.

Yeah, let's not make our back-up SS, CB, entire LB corp, hurt TE, WR2, WR3 a priority. We really have to nail down this guard!

Why should we move Glenn over to Guard? He did a good job at LT?Why should the Bills waste a pick in an area that considered a strength, while the need at QB, LB & WR is much higher? Yes I remember how Levitre looked. At Center he looked lost and was not suited for it, but at Left Tackle he did a decent job. Also when Eric Wood was injured, Levitre stepped up and was still making plays.

Losing Levitre and replacing him with a rookie will not help the Bills, and Reinhardt is not the answer.

There was an article not long ago in the news about the problems the Bills had last year at RT due to injuries and off young player play. Glenn was average at LT, and he could be an above average RT, or all pro guard. He played guard in college and that is probably his true position as his strongest ability is blocking straight ahead rather then running the arc.

OT on the Buffalo Bills is NOT a strength, not even close even with everyone healthy. With the Bills taking one of the top 3 LT's in the draft would finally solidify a position that has been ailing since they traded away JP.. The Bills band aided that right side with players off the waiver wire and still desperately need depth at several positions.

Levitre is an average guard IMO, and not worth 8-10 mill per he is looking for in free agency. While I don't usually condone letting top players walk away like this, I just feel he isn't worth the money he wants, regardless of him not suffering any injuries during his career in Buffalo.

Tom Brady just took less money in an extension

That is only if he plays out the entire 5 years.

If he plays for only another 3 years that new contract extension will see him take 23.53m/year. (17.65m/year if 4 years).

If Reinhart played a game at LG wearing Levitre's jersey 95% of the fans wouldn't be able to tell the difference lol. Yet there are posters here acting like losing the 10th best guard would be the end of days. The hysteria is hysterical.

C.J., FJ, and whomever is throwing the ball would sure notice. Rinehart is more suited to the RG position because he lacks the ability to pull. The cost saving would, in theory, be nice. Loss of output would be significant.

There was an article not long ago in the news about the problems the Bills had last year at RT due to injuries and off young player play. Glenn was average at LT, and he could be an above average RT, or all pro guard. He played guard in college and that is probably his true position as his strongest ability is blocking straight ahead rather then running the arc.

OT on the Buffalo Bills is NOT a strength, not even close even with everyone healthy. With the Bills taking one of the top 3 LT's in the draft would finally solidify a position that has been ailing since they traded away JP.. The Bills band aided that right side with players off the waiver wire and still desperately need depth at several positions.

Levitre is an average guard IMO, and not worth 8-10 mill per he is looking for in free agency. While I don't usually condone letting top players walk away like this, I just feel he isn't worth the money he wants, regardless of him not suffering any injuries during his career in Buffalo.

I agree Fear that Levitre is not worth 8-10 mill either. And I think the Bills do too. But I would say he is an ABOVE average guard, but still not anywhere near dominant every single play.

I like your idea of taking a top tackle in the first round. But I would than move Glenn to rt tackle where he can be more of a mauler. Pears and Hairston are terrible. Than I would bring in someone else to replace Levitre at a more reasonable price. I think with good coaching, any decent player we bring in to play left guard would suffice quite nicely.

The problem is we have SO MANY holes to fill on this team at this point. It is ridiculous. We need another starting CB, at least 2 LB's, another Safety, some pass rushers, at least two WR's and probably two TE's w Chandler's injury. And that is not even discussing the O line or depth at all positions. My god Buddy Nix has done a HORRIBLE job.

Yeah, let's not make our back-up SS, CB, entire LB corp, hurt TE, WR2, WR3 a priority. We really have to nail down this guard!

So re-signing Levitre means that the Bills will be unable to address any other needs on the team?

Rinehart is more suited to the RG position because he lacks the ability to pull. The cost saving would, in theory, be nice. Loss of output would be significant.

I somewhat agree with you about the pulling, but Reinhart was very good when he played LG for us (when we were moving Levitre around). I completely disagree with you about the significant loss of output.

So re-signing Levitre means that the Bills will be unable to address any other needs on the team?

Of course not. We have a lot of holes and a finite amount of money to spend. Would you rather spend $8M on a G and $2M on a WR, or $8M on a WR and $2M on a guard? Dwayne Bowe and Matt Slauson or Andy Levitre and Brandon Gibson? Put your money into the skill positions first! The panic over losing an above-average guard is silly.

I believe that the picks can be negotiated, it doesn't have to be 2 1st rd picks if I remember correctly but only if Buffalo is willing to take less for Byrd. San Fran has a plethora of picks and having the second to last pick in the 1st rd this year it might be tempting for them to consider making a trade for Byrd, especially if Whitner has any positive input about him. The 49'ers really can't use all their picks (15 of them I think) realistically. They would be better served to package some of those picks for a few quality players.

If the Bills were able to get San Fran's 1st (#31) and 2nd rd (#34) picks in this year's draft and their next year's 2nd rd pick I'd do that in a heartbeat, even though I really like Byrd and would hate to see the Bills create more holes on our roster. Picks like those could and would get our QB that they could develope. With our #8 pick overall then could be used to address the LB position. Maybe at this point LaRon Laundry would be an exciting acquisition for our defense. Having top picks like that could also be used for a starting LT. Bottom line is I don't think that it would be a hateful idea if the Bills were to part with one of our better player(s) for multiple top draft picks. We have plenty of areas to address on this team and also have very little depth.

I believe that the picks can be negotiated, it doesn't have to be 2 1st rd picks if I remember correctly but only if Buffalo is willing to take less for Byrd. San Fran has a plethora of picks and having the second to last pick in the 1st rd this year it might be tempting for them to consider making a trade for Byrd, especially if Whitner has any positive input about him. The 49'ers really can't use all their picks (15 of them I think) realistically. They would be better served to package some of those picks for a few quality players.

If the Bills were able to get San Fran's 1st (#31) and 2nd rd (#34) picks in this year's draft and their next year's 2nd rd pick I'd do that in a heartbeat, even though I really like Byrd and would hate to see the Bills create more holes on our roster. Picks like those could and would get our QB that they could develope. With our #8 pick overall then could be used to address the LB position. Maybe at this point LaRon Laundry would be an exciting acquisition for our defense. Having top picks like that could also be used for a starting LT. Bottom line is I don't think that it would be a hateful idea if the Bills were to part with one of our better player(s) for multiple top draft picks. We have plenty of areas to address on this team and also have very little depth.

Maybe a sign and trade type scenario. Interesting......It is a good safety class....

If the Bills had 13 draft picks like the 49ers, I would not be bothered but purging the team of vets but with 6 picks and a limited amount of cap room to sign top end free agents it is a dicey situtation. I want the Bills to succeed but you have to break the cycle of letting your valuable vets walk without a good replacement on the roster. I am going to take a wait and see approach on how they plan to build this team.

Edited by Nitro

really? Who was the last great Bills guard? Reggie McKenzie?

Rueben Brown as judged by his peers.

Of course there were detractors posting constantly how bad and undeserved it was despite all the acclaims he got but that is nothing new.

Honestly if I was an up and coming player I would look to leave too. Press is very unsupportive, fans are Jeckle and Hydes and taxes are higher. If a team was making playoffs on regular basis was interested that is more money in the pocket from playoff appearances.

Pears and Hairston are terrible.

I totally disagree. Terrible is Langston Walker, Jerry Ostroski, Marcus Spriggs and Terrance Pennington. Greg Jerman was way beyond terrible.

Pears, imo, is average vs. the pass, and above average on runs. Hairston, who admittedly did not improve this season, is strong, and has enough balance to fill in on the left side. Teams need a backup swing tackle.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I totally disagree. Terrible is Langston Walker, Jerry Ostroski, Marcus Spriggs and Terrance Pennington. Greg Jerman was way beyond terrible.

Pears, imo, is average vs. the pass, and above average on runs. Hairston, who admittedly did not improve this season, is strong, and has enough balance to fill in on the left side. Teams need a backup swing tackle.

I look at our roster and maddingly conclude that no unit (OL, DL, LB, DB, receiver corps, qb) is at the area of the spectrum of being very good with the exception of our running back tandem of Spiller and Jackson. Even our backfield is somewhat neutralized because we don't have a qb who can adequately pass the ball and open up the field for them.

What the heck has Nix done to this franchise? It is a mess. How many holes have to be filled? It's like we are starting all over again! When you look at Nix's drafting and roster it's as if there is no thought and coherency. At least with the Jauron/Levy philosophy there was a coherency to their offensive and defensive schemes. I strenuously disagreed with their approach but at least I was able to understand what they were doing. Whatever Nix has intended to do he has miserably failed to execute his plan. How many times do the Bills have to undo and redo what they originally did? It's crazy!

It's simply outrageous that Nix is still involved with this year's draft and player decisions. Would you go back to an incompetent surgeon and ask him to fix what he has screwed up? Brandon had the chance to start fresh and establish a new organizational culture where accountability was taken seriously. He kept Nix on the job. What does that say about the new Brandon era?

Edited by JohnC

Bill you know that if a player is not all-pro AND dirt cheap posters were say the player is terrible.

Guess this means Levitre is mostly like gone which is a huge mistake

Not sure the logic behind this statement. He's most likely gone because we franchised Byrd? I thought is was pretty much a forgone conclusion that Byrd would be franchised. Levitres franchise tag salary would likely be higher than it would be on the open market. Financially, this move makes the most sense. How much does Nix and co think Levitre is worth? We'll find out in the next couple of weeks. I feel that if Byrd wasn't slapped with the tag, he'd be a goner. He's a true stud that is a turnover forcing machine and a great mind for the game. I believe he would've been the highest paid safety in the nfl.....and worth every penny. I don't believe Levitre is worth being paid like the leagues top Lg. He's a very good Lg, but not worth 9-10 million per year IMO.