Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama

Smoke-E

No team is trading a 1st and 3rd for Byrd

I have a question for all the "Warmack is the pick" supporters:

The new coaching staff has repeatedly said they're designing a fast paced, K-gun type offense. The only real knock on Warmack is that he wears down in games and is a short area mauler. How does that profile fit into an offensive scheme that is going to favor highly active linemen that will be asked to play at a high tempo??

In other words, which of the top two OGs in this class--Warmack or Jonathan Cooper--best fits the new scheme, and why would the Bills draft board not be set accordingly?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go even further. When you pick top ten in a draft your pick needs to be a day one impact starter that is elite at his position in the draft class. Chance Warmack

The bolded word is the problem with what you're proposing. Guards don't have nearly the impact that almost any other position does. If you want a game changer, than you don't pick a guard. You can get a very good guard with only slightly lower talent and ability for a lot cheaper later in the draft. Picking up a guard at 8 would be the definition of stupidity. It does not help us in the slightest.

The bolded word is the problem with what you're proposing. Guards don't have nearly the impact that almost any other position does. If you want a game changer, than you don't pick a guard. You can get a very good guard with only slightly lower talent and ability for a lot cheaper later in the draft. Picking up a guard at 8 would be the definition of stupidity. It does not help us in the slightest.

Can you quantify this? What exactly is "slightly lower talent and ability?" And how does that translate to what Marrone's schemes ask of his OL?

We can draft ANY position in ANY round and find players of lower talent. Picking blue chip football players

always helps your team. Reaching for need is the dumber play and that has been bourne out time and time again.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

For whatever it's worth, Peter King's MMQB column today indicated that he's "hearing guard" for the Bills at 8 overall...

Yeah, they were talking about how they weren't gonna bother using any of the 30 interviews on a guard. And how foolish it would be for them to select a guard with the 8th pick.

Having a potential all pro starting over a nobody isn't helping us in the slightest? As of now, Colin brown is our likely starter at LG. warmack/cooper is a HUGE upgrade. It most definitely helps us. A lot. Your choice of words are poor.

Having a potential all pro starting over a nobody isn't helping us in the slightest? As of now, Colin brown is our likely starter at LG. warmack/cooper is a HUGE upgrade. It most definitely helps us. A lot. Your choice of words are poor.

Haplo's choice of words was not poor. He is exactly right: if you want a good, solid OG, you can often find one in the second or third round. If you pick a guy 8th overall, that guy needs to be a game changer. :angry:

Warmack is a very talented football player. But an OG will have fewer opportunities to make game-changing plays than will players at some other positions. Compare Warmack to a hypothetical, solid OG taken in the third round. On passing plays, how often will that third round OG's man be the first to reach the QB? How often would that third round OG's man reach the QB that much sooner than some other pass rusher? Even if Warmack totally eliminated his man on every single pass play, it's not like he'd necessarily be buying the QB a lot of extra time in the pocket. Certainly not enough extra time to justify the difference between a third round pick and 8th overall.

If Warmack was going to be taken 8th overall, most of the justification for that would have to come on running plays. The Bills could run most of their running plays to Warmack's side of the field, to take maximum advantage of his run blocking. An improvement like that in the running game would be nice--but not necessarily 8th overall nice. Even if Warmack obliterated the run defender across from him on every single play, defensive coordinators could respond by sending other defenders around Warmack. I realize there were plays in college when Warmack blocked multiple people on the same play. He will still make plays like that in the NFL--but less frequently. If it's a running play, and if Warmack succeeds in blocking multiple people, and if that play results in a significant gain, then you could say Warmack was a difference-maker on that particular play. But plays like that will probably be a relatively small percentage of the total offensive plays run.

If he's on the board, I think Buddy runs up himself to hand in the card. Here's why I think this:

1. We just lost a very good LG and need an immediate replacement.

2. We have below average guard depth, even though the team argues otherwise.

3. Warmack is the best guard to come out of college in a number of years and some publications have him as the best draft propect this year.(http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/43048/325/norris-updated-top-151?pg=1)

4. He's a big nasty. And Nix loves big and nasty.

5. He's an SEC guy - played in best conference and on 2 Championship teams.

I would have no issue with this pick. In fact, I want it. The QBs dont seem worthy of a first and I think value can be had in rounds 2-4 of this draft.

Thoughts?

I would have an issue with it. It would be a shining example of a poorly run organization

Step 1: Use 2nd round pick on OG

Step 2: He plays all games in tenure with team over 4(?) seasons

Step 3: Let him walk as a UFA

Step 4: Draft his replacement with your 1st round pick

Step 5: He plays X games in tenure with teams over X seasons

Step 6: Let him walk

Step 7: Draft his replacement....

For an example of how this works and where it gets a team, please see the recent DB draft history of the Buffalo Bil----yeah.

I would have an issue with it. It would be a shining example of a poorly run organization

Step 1: Use 2nd round pick on OG

Step 2: He plays all games in tenure with team over 4(?) seasons

Step 3: Let him walk as a UFA

Step 4: Draft his replacement with your 1st round pick

Step 5: He plays X games in tenure with teams over X seasons

Step 6: Let him walk

Step 7: Draft his replacement....

For an example of how this works and where it gets a team, please see the recent DB draft history of the Buffalo Bil----yeah.

Levitre was over paid. He wouldn't negotiate Prior to FA. He was overpaid. If Warmack turns out to be an all pro, not just a good guard, maybe we'll pay him almost 8 mill a year. Levitre was overpaid. Overpaying LGs is bad

Levitre was over paid. He wouldn't negotiate Prior to FA. He was overpaid. If Warmack turns out to be an all pro, not just a good guard, maybe we'll pay him almost 8 mill a year. Levitre was overpaid. Overpaying LGs is bad

Yes, but they also let his backup (who was pretty decent) walk. Winning teams don't create holes (like letting 2 OGs walk) just to use their first round pick on those holes. You don't fill a roster with quality players that way.

Levitre was over paid. He wouldn't negotiate Prior to FA. He was overpaid. If Warmack turns out to be an all pro, not just a good guard, maybe we'll pay him almost 8 mill a year. Levitre was overpaid.

I couldn't disagree more.

No way the pick is wormack. Buddy will not pick a guard at 8. He wasn't

even in for a visit.Listen to buddy. They like barkley nassib and landry jones..

receivers they like hunter woods swoope rogers

defence: jordan, jarvis jones vacarro

if they barkley is gone at 8. look for defence then landry jones in second.

then receiver in the third

or receiver and jones in a tradeback in the second....

if we take barkley at 8..receiver in second like hunter rogers or who is left on board..

will be interesting..

I can almost guarentee it wont be wormack..

If he's on the board, I think Buddy runs up himself to hand in the card. Here's why I think this:

1. We just lost a very good LG and need an immediate replacement.

2. We have below average guard depth, even though the team argues otherwise.

3. Warmack is the best guard to come out of college in a number of years and some publications have him as the best draft propect this year.(http://www.rotoworld...ed-top-151?pg=1)

4. He's a big nasty. And Nix loves big and nasty.

5. He's an SEC guy - played in best conference and on 2 Championship teams.

I would have no issue with this pick. In fact, I want it. The QBs dont seem worthy of a first and I think value can be had in rounds 2-4 of this draft.

Thoughts?

It's not going to happen. And if it does, I'm not watching until there is a new GM.

For our first pick, the top talent does not match our needs particularly well. I would rather take Warmack or Cooper (guard is a need) in the first round, players that have a higner probability of being very good players, versus a QB, who may have less than a 50-50 chance of developing into a starting caliber QB.

Warmack would be a MASSIVE upgrade over Levitre. Andy was a good pass blocker but an average run blocker. Warmack is a beast and would solidify the left side of our line for the next 5 years.

You may not like taking a guard at 8 but comparing him to Levitre is a gross underestimation of Warmack as a player.