Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama

Smoke-E

i would say the exact opposite. i would be surprised if we don't go Offense, Offense, Offense... the Bills have starters at every position on D, and gaping holes on offense.... even leaving out the QB, we have no #2 WR or anyone that could even be considered one. they cannot go into a season with the thinnest WR corp in the league. they may not have a TE, or anyone that could remotely be considered a starter there... even if Chandler can play, he's coming off an ACL and is a FA after the season. we have no LG... not at all, no one who has played there anyway. that's 3 spots that are big black holes. the offense survived due to scheme, not talent, and they need bodies, starting bodies.

on D, we have guys... heavy investment, and i think they need to see if scheme/coaching were the problem there. could use upgrades, but at the same time, we have starters everywhere.

I definitely understand your point, and do agree with it. But drafting one or even two WR isn't really going to make a huge difference with no real QB to command the offense. Whether its one of the two we have now or a rookie, its going to take a little time with the offense for it to work. And i know we need WR like no other, but how can we get that without getting them early and potentially missing out on holes in the defense that will stop opposing teams from scoring and giving our offense a chance. A huge reason we lost early last year was because our offense couldn't keep up with how many points our defense was letting up. We at least need help with the Run-D so either LB/SS for that or both early on. And maybe a WR in the second between them to allow more throwing options. But otherwise we have too many holes to field a balanced team really.

Also, our current starters on defense worry me as well. Even our "stacked" D-Line wasn't what we expected last year. Our current LB situation won't stop any run attack. For a 3-4/4-3 hybrid with a 4-6 worked in we need more than 3 mediocre LBs to have any affect with our Run-D. And Searcy at SS? I couldn't really see that especially with McKelvin as our starter opposite Gilmore. If the run doesn't kill us, the deep threat will be there all the time against whoever is opposite Gilmore. With all this our offense, drafted new or not, might not be able to keep up with the points again like in the last three years.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the kid from Syracuse Justin Pugh? He knowes the offence Marrone is installing in Buff and we might be able to wait till the 3rd or later to get him. Warmack at 8 is too high for a OG. JMO

BINGO! he's a pretty close clone to levitre, only taller.

Nix has said time and again that he is in the business of drafting Tackles. If they don't pan out they can be moved inside. It mitigates risk substantially. You draft big Tackles with size and at least average feet and they can usually work out as a guard with some pulling ability after some adjustment. The only way you draft a guard ever is if they can also play Center.

You make a very good point here. With that in mind, OG/C Barrett Jones might be a good option, and due to his injury he just might be around in the 3rd round. The guy played all over the line (RG, LT, C) and played very well.

I'd be fine w/ the Warmack pick. He is an impact offensive lineman, and would clear tons of space for the running game. But, I hope we take a risk and take Olgetree. He is in a position that we need, and has all the tools to be a pro-bowl player. Yes, he's an idiot off the field, just keep him away from the booze and mary jane and he'll be fine.

I do not want to take a QB at #8. None of them are worthy of a top 10 pick. You need your top 10 pick to be a day 1 starter. I see the QB as Manuel, Nassib, Barkley or Smith in the second round. One of them will be there, wait till then.

In terms of WR, the draft is deep, grab one in 3 or 4. Ryan Swope was just in for a visit.

Safety can be dealt with later on as it is also deep.

In fact, you'll all go crazy, but with Kolb and Jackson, I'd be fine not drafting a QB this year as I don't see anyone we draft starting, and waiting till next year and pulling a Redskins type move to land Manzel.

If the FO was unwilling to pay Levitre, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to resign Warmack when his rookie deal expires. So basically you'd be using the #8 pick in the draft for a couple year rental on a guard. A GUARD!!

I've seen this said a few times, and it's a false analogy. They didn't sign Levitre because they didn't believe he was worth becoming the 4th highest paid guard in the NFL...and I believe they were right.

If they think highly enough to draft Warmack 8th overall, and they are proven right about his skill set (he's been called by more than a few outlets the #1 player in the draft), they'll sign him to an elite level contract, because he deserves it.

The problem is that Levitre got paid like a perennial pro bowler, getting more money than better players like Josh Sitton and Marshall Yanda (who have both made pro bowls in the past). He wasn't worth $8M/year...if this team spends a top 10 pick on Warmack, they clearly think more highly of him than Levitre.

So like I said, it's not really a valid comparison.

You make a very good point here. With that in mind, OG/C Barrett Jones might be a good option, and due to his injury he just might be around in the 3rd round. The guy played all over the line (RG, LT, C) and played very well.

I'd be down with that move too. Wood, Brown, Barrett, and Irbik would be an interesting group in training camp.

Seahawks had T. Jackson, traded for Flynn, then drafted Russell. We should follow a similar model.

It all begins and ends with the quarterback.

:thumbsup:

And then we just need a top 5 defense

Edited by Billsrhody

So we replace a mediocre injury free QB and a great (not elite, but better than good) injury free OG with a mediocre injury plagued QB and an unproven rookie OG responsible for keeping said injury-plagued QB upright. And this makes sense to some of you?

Levitre wanted too much money. Kolb didn't get a fair shot in AZ because they had no running game and they had to scrape him off the turf every game. So bring in a guard that's a mauler to blast open holes for Freddy and cj and give Kolb some time. How does that NOT make sense?

Anyone who thinks Nix would draft a guard in the first round has not studied his draft history. When the Bills desperately needed a left tackle he followed his history in San Diego and did not draft a left tackle in the first round. If he valued the guard position that much they would not have let Levitre walk. I expect them to draft an offensive lineman, but I would be mildly surprised if it was before the fourth round. Things seem settled at tackle with Glenn, Hairston and Pears. They might want to give Sanders a chance to fill the spot at guard.

Edited by bills_believer

I've seen this said a few times, and it's a false analogy. They didn't sign Levitre because they didn't believe he was worth becoming the 4th highest paid guard in the NFL...and I believe they were right.

If they think highly enough to draft Warmack 8th overall, and they are proven right about his skill set (he's been called by more than a few outlets the #1 player in the draft), they'll sign him to an elite level contract, because he deserves it.

The problem is that Levitre got paid like a perennial pro bowler, getting more money than better players like Josh Sitton and Marshall Yanda (who have both made pro bowls in the past). He wasn't worth $8M/year...if this team spends a top 10 pick on Warmack, they clearly think more highly of him than Levitre.

So like I said, it's not really a valid comparison.

Are you sure that's why they didn't sign him? I was under the impression they just didn't want to spend that kind of money at the guard position. I mean even if he's like the greatest of all time, is a guard really ever worth $8M/year or more?

Are you sure that's why they didn't sign him? I was under the impression they just didn't want to spend that kind of money at the guard position. I mean even if he's like the greatest of all time, is a guard really ever worth $8M/year or more?

Can't say I'm certain that it's the only reason, as I'd have to imagine your point was a factor. Overall though, I feel comfortable that they would have paid him a reasonable sum to stay here (i.e. in the $6.5M/year range), which would have put him in the same neighborhood as Sitton and Yanda.

Can't say I'm certain that it's the only reason, as I'd have to imagine your point was a factor. Overall though, I feel comfortable that they would have paid him a reasonable sum to stay here (i.e. in the $6.5M/year range), which would have put him in the same neighborhood as Sitton and Yanda.

I guess you're right, Levitre just ended up being one of those guys that gets ridiculously overpaid in the chaos of the first few days of FA.

Positions I don't think we can afford to draft in round 1:

Kickers (obviously)

Running Backs

Safety

Defensive Back

Defensive Tackle

Defensive End (in round 1)

Positions I'd be happy drafting in Rd 1:

Offensive Line (other than Center)

Outside Linebacker

Quarterback

Wide Receiver

I think if we go BPA with those positions we need, that would be great. Probably takes QB out of the mix in round 1. Warmack really interests me. Give us tons of flexibility along the O-line and makes this a real strength of the team. Maybe I am too old school, but I still believe that a good O-line makes the rest of the team better.

you dont draft an OG at 8 unless u r set everywhere else. if you have a #8 and are almost barren at LB........

If you are set everywhere else, you aren't picking at #8, PERIOD.

GO BILLS!!!

i would say the exact opposite. i would be surprised if we don't go Offense, Offense, Offense... the Bills have starters at every position on D, and gaping holes on offense....on D, we have guys... heavy investment, and i think they need to see if scheme/coaching were the problem there. could use upgrades, but at the same time, we have starters everywhere.

Yes, we have guys who will be starting on defense. That doesn't make them NFL starters. We don't have a starting caliber LB, SS, or weakside DE anywhere on the roster last time I saw us play.

GO BILLS!!!