50 Funniest Comedies Of All Time

Just Jack

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I've never seen arrested development... that will change however

No offense, man, and while it doesn't neccessarily need to be tops, like it is on this particular list, if you haven't seen an episode of Arrested Development you are virtually a non-contributor to a discussion about television comedies.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I've never seen arrested development... that will change however

I've never seen it either and for me it won't change.

BTW you can add Batman with Adam West to that list. Some may say it wasn't a comedy but oh yeah..it was.

Edited by Chef Jim

No offense, man, and while it doesn't neccessarily need to be tops, like it is on this particular list, if you haven't seen an episode of Arrested Development you are virtually a non-contributor to a discussion about television comedies.

I'm well aware of the high regard in which A.D. is held. I did not disparage the show; I merely admitted I haven't seen it but hope to one day. That fact far from discredits me from offering an opinion on the gazillion sitcoms I HAVE seen.

I like what someone else inferred in this thread -- one of the keys to greatness is whether I'll stop and watch when flipping channels. Seinfeld passes that test every time, like no other sitcom I've ever watched. It hasn't aired in something like 14 years and still seems perfectly relevant in today's world. The only thing missing is the internet.

Modern Seinfeld is a pretty clever Twitter account out there as well, if you're interested...

I've never heard of it.

Just looked it up on Netflix. 2 stars. Not very good and I find Netflix ratings to be fairly accurate.

Edited by VABills

It's very amusing, quirky & clever......but don't expect to have too many belly laughs while watching it.

I've never seen it either and for me it won't change.

BTW you can add Batman with Adam West to that list. Some may say it wasn't a comedy but oh yeah..it was.

Adam West himself said that the show was intended as a comedy, yet audiences took it so seriously.

Edited by Mark Vader

I think all of my essentials are on here, so I can't quible too much...unless we were talking about where they are ranked. Might be a few a would omit (mostly cuz I haven't seen them) while including others (WKRP, Strangers With Candy)...but all in all not bad. "Mary Tyler Moore" would rank much higher... not only was it hilarious (and pioneering in "adult" comedy) they knew when to pull the plug, and didn't let it go on too long (see "MASH"...early years are some of the funniest stuff ever...later years merely tolerable, cuz it was, afterall, "MASH").

I respectfully disagree.

MASH was consistently good throughout it's run. Granted, the later years did not have as much "wacky comedy", but it was still very good.

Another click site like BR rates them....

http://www.complex.c...es-of-all-time/

50. Community

49. Everybody Loves Raymond

48. NewsRadio

47. How I Met Your Mother

46. The Big Bang Theory

45. M*A*S*H

44. Freaks and Geeks

43. Eastbound & Down

42. Workaholics

41. The Wayans Bros.

39. Roseanne

39. Malcolm in the Middle

38. That '70s Show

37. The Mary Tyler Moore Show

36. Get a Life

35. Everybody Hates Chris

34. Police Squad!

33. Extras

32. Flight of the Conchords

31. All in the Family

30. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

29. Reno 911!

28. Married... with Children

27. Friends

26. Scrubs

25. Modern Family

24. Night Court

23. Louie

22. Newhart

21. Will and Grace

20. Sanford and Son

19. The Golden Girls

18. The Bernie Mac Show

17. The Honeymooners

16. The Abbott and Costello Show

15. The Larry Sanders Show

14. The Three Stooges

13. Cheers

12. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

11. Parks and Recreation

10. The Cosby Show

9. Taxi

8. I Love Lucy

7. The Office

6. Martin

5. Seinfeld

4. Party Down

3. Curb Your Enthusiasm

2. 30 Rock

and, in #1......

1. Arrested Development

Having "How I Met Your Mother" & "Big Bang Theory" in this list is fine, but "MASH" at 46 is obscene.

If you can have the 6 episodes of "Police Squad!" and the 18 episodes of "Freaks & Geeks", then there should also be room for the 24 episdoes of "Pushing Daisies".

"Married...With Children" & "The Bernie Mac Show", really?

"Friends" was funny, but getting a little too much love on this list.

"Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" & "The Cosby Show" were both good, but are nowhere near as timeless as other shows. They are rated way too high.

"I Love Lucy" should be in the Top 5. While some of the plots were on the silly side, Lucille Ball was a comedy genius.

I know others have said, but I will chime in on it too. Where is "WKRP in Cincinnati", "The Dick Van Dyke Show" & "Family Ties"?

I respectfully disagree.

MASH was consistently good throughout it's run. Granted, the later years did not have as much "wacky comedy", but it was still very good.

Co-sign. It got a bit preachy but was still a solid comedy that delivered laughs and a message that was needed at the time. Frasier was similar in a different day.

I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. Mash during the 80s was not worth watching, IMO. God, it was boring. During the 70s - best sitcom ever.

Then why title it The Best Comedies of All Time? It should be The Best Comedies of the Past 20 With a Few Oldies to Keep the Old Farts Quiet.

And you didn't watch I Love Lucy because it was funny, you watched it to partake in the mastery of one of TV's best female clowns. The show may not have been overly funny but Lucille Ball was brilliant. I was lucky to cook for her almost every night during the last few months of her life.

I had been wondering how Lucille Ball died.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. Mash during the 80s was not worth watching, IMO. God, it was boring. During the 70s - best sitcom ever.

I had been wondering how Lucille Ball died.

Actually no, I killed Orson Welles.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/11/the-final-day-in-the-life-of-orson-wells/

He even gabbed amiably with Barbara Leaming, an author who had recently written an unauthorized biography of Orson. All were extremely happy with the show and Welles and Leaming even had dinner together afterwards at Welles’ favorite local eatery, Ma Maison.

A man named Patrick Terrail joined Welles after Leaming had left their table. “He was happy about everything that night”, said Terrail. “He was happy about the Griffin show because he thought it went well. Everything was going his way, and he was in a good mood. He was just in good spirits all the way around.”

Welles finished his dinner, went home, and died.

For such a great comedy, it sure makes me melancholy sometimes....but I do love that show.

For me, #1 all-time is the "Larry Sanders Show".

Louie is an absurdist tragedy about a comedian. CK is so funny that you can't help laughing once in a while, but I wouldn't call it a sitcom by any stretch. GREAT show.

Ok here's what really makes this a ****ty list. It has Newhart but not The Bob Newhart Show? That's just !@#$ing dumb. The Bob Newhart show rocked but Newhart? Sucked ass.

Yeah, I spelled out The Bob Newhart Show in my post yesterday. WAY better show. I actually always liked even more than MTM all those years they were back to back.

Oh, and I'm glad you retired from chefing. We don't need you making any more last meals for beloved celebrities!