Should we trade for Ryan Mallett?

freester

Lombardi was never interested in trading for Mallett. A guy who has a stat line that reads 1-for-4 for 17 yards and a TD has no trade value.

He was a backup qb who played behind Brady. He didn't get much opportunity to play. You would essentially be trading for a prospect, not an established player. The calculation that the organization has to make is is he a better prospect than the qbs in this draft.

Edited by JohnC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome..............he's a bum because he's only attempted 4 passes?

the bills FO has bungled the qb in the draft option for years..........lets not go back and fix one of those errors.

lot of soothsayers in here. some of this fortune telling should be put to good use go tell OBD who to draft with the #8 pick.

No, he is a bum because he was a coke head. And there is zero evidence to tell us he is a better QB than some one from the draft this year. Just because he sat behind Brady tells us nothing. For all you know, he may be dumber than a box of rocks, which is why BB is wanting to trade him.

Not every QB around that league who becomes available is a better than Fitz. Giving someone a try may be fine if it didn't cost us a draft pick.

Not doubting you, just wondering where u heard that

The SEC rumors, and even at michigan from back in the day often mentioned that his dad was a not so secretly involved with meth and Ryan's name has also been linked in those talks. Like I said, rumors, not substantiated but I'd say a pot smoker that dabbled in coke wouldn't worry me but a coke user that dabbled in harder stuff would. I'm not sure where on the spectrum he lands and that's always something that gave me reservations with him.

I'm sure it wouldn't be that terribly hard for an nfl team to keep an eye on that before investing in him though, and get a pretty good read on what he's up to. I just don't have those resources.

Question is, would the Pats actually make that trade inside of their own division?

And if they would be willing to do it, why? Is that a red flag? The Bills don't have a great track record when it comes to acquiring Pats' cast offs.

How many times can these ridiculous threads pop-up? The guy has done NOTHING to think he's worth anything, and people are willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him? LOL!

He's done nothing in the NFL to think he's worth anything, because he plays behind an unimpeachable starter. What makes any of the QBs in the draft more proven?

I'll say it again - if Mallett was dropped into this draft class, he wouldn't last til the second round.

I don't think I've ever heard of trading for a QB, much less a high pick, when he's never started an NFL game. Much less when his stats are as horrid as 1/4 for 17 yards and an INT. You're taking a major gamble with poor odds, and helping out a division rival who is willing to unload him on you for a reason.

He's done nothing in the NFL to think he's worth anything, because he plays behind an unimpeachable starter. What makes any of the QBs in the draft more proven?

I'll say it again - if Mallett was dropped into this draft class, he wouldn't last til the second round.

Half of the Pats' games were blowouts, meaning Mallett could have been inserted into the late 4th quarter of any of them. He wasn't, and furthermore was only allowed to pass 4 times. That's a clear indication that they didn't think much of his ability to run the offense. If anything, he's proven he can't do it, whereas the rookies are wholly unproven.

As for if he were coming out of college and in this draft, he'd probably go in the 3rd round again. That 2011 class was no great shakes either.

Let me see. The Pats have a hof qb that will be 36 when the season begins. He just re-upped for 3 yrs. Guaranteed which puts him at age 39. The perception is Mallett was drafted to be the heir apparent.

Ok, after two years the Pats ate allegedly dangling him for a 2nd rd. Pick, in a year in which they only have 5 draft picks. Hmmm?????? Does anyone smell anything? Does it have the slightest smell that the Pats have given up on him as the heir apparent after two years? Geez, it took the Bills longer to figure that about Losman & Edwards.

So, if Brady is done in three, and the Pats have RFA status on Mallet when his contract is up (2014), does that tell you something? I mean as in "we're gonna kick this kid to the curb when his contract is up, or sooner. We just want to get something of value for what we know has no value". Hey, don't blame us for trying, we got a 1 for Bledsuck and a 2 for cassel".

This one don't even come close to passing the smell test. I don't want to touch it and I don't want to taste it.

At the same time, what has he done to proven he's better than Fitzpatrick? His stats in the preseason are worse than Fitz' regular season stats.

I'm all for improving the QB position but if I'm giving up a high 2nd, it needs to be for a guy who has shown serious potential and has no character issues. Mallet doesn't pass that test. The fact he is a statue and probably is slower than Rich Eisen doesn't help things either.

I know everyone hates Fitz but he is better than 75% of the QBs. Guys like Mallet and other rookies are more likely to have a worse career than RF.

I think that NE would consider trading him because Brady expects to play atleast 3 more years and by that time Mallett will have become a Free agent and left.

And if they can rip off a team to give them a 2nd round pick for a low 3rd rounder who has never played, even better. I remember hearing for years how good Brian Hoyer was. Dude's barely in the league now.

<p>

I don't think I've ever heard of trading for a QB, much less a high pick, when he's never started an NFL game. Much less when his stats are as horrid as 1/4 for 17 yards and an INT. You're taking a major gamble with poor odds, and helping out a division rival who is willing to unload him on you for a reason.

Didn't the Falcons trade Favre to the Packers after he didn't play at all or very much with them? Buddy Nix hasn't taken a gamble on a qb prospect (other than Levi Brown) during his tenure. Where has it gotten the Bills? My preference is for Nix to use his first or second round pick to get a good qb prospect on the roster.

Edited by JohnC

<p>

Didn't the Falcons trade Favre to the Packers after he didn't play at all or very much with them? Buddy Nix hasn't taken a gamble on a qb prospect (other than Levi Brown) during his tenure. Where has it gotten the Bills? My preference is for Nix to use his first or second round pick to get a good qb prospect on the roster.

Good call. Favre was traded after going 0-4 with 2 INT's in his rookie year. But that's 21 years ago and only because Ron Wolf was the Packers' GM and wanted to draft him the year before when he was with the Jets.

<p>

Didn't the Falcons trade Favre to the Packers after he didn't play at all or very much with them? Buddy Nix hasn't taken a gamble on a qb prospect (other than Levi Brown) during his tenure. Where has it gotten the Bills? My preference is for Ni

Ron Wolf, Packers' GM, was in love with Favre. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre He wanted to draft him while he was with the Jets but the Falcons picked him in the 2nd. It was a giant risk and Farve wasn't known yet for being a total knucklehead like Mallett was/ is and Farve can actually move around.

So there is a small chance Mallett is a HOFer in waiting. There's an even bigger chance he's RJ, Kolb, and hundreds of garbage QBs teams traded for.

Ron Wolf, Packers' GM, was in love with Favre. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Brett_Favre He wanted to draft him while he was with the Jets but the Falcons picked him in the 2nd. It was a giant risk and Farve wasn't known yet for being a total knucklehead like Mallett was/ is and Farve can actually move around.

So there is a small chance Mallett is a HOFer in waiting. There's an even bigger chance he's RJ, Kolb, and hundreds of garbage QBs teams traded for.

One of the reasons why the Falcons were willing to trade Favre after one year was that they were not enamored with

his work ethic and off the field rowdy behavior.

One of the reasons why the Falcons were willing to trade Favre after one year was that they were not enamored with

his work ethic and off the field rowdy behavior.

And their head coach didn't want him in the first place. Like I said, it was a great move because it worked. But more often than not, it doesn't. I'd rather try my chances with a guy in the draft than a guy like Mallett.