Doug Whaley signs contract extension

FluffHead

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did the Bills ever announce that they were turning the keys over to Whaley after the draft???

This has been assumed by some. It may have even been hinted at. But it has never been stated officially and definitively. In fact, Nix says he's staying around for a while yet more.

I'm glad Whaley isn't getting so impatient that he's looking at other opportunities.

When did the Bills ever announce that they were turning the keys over to Whaley after the draft???

This has been assumed by some. It may have even been hinted at. But it has never been stated officially and definitively. In fact, Nix says he's staying around for a while yet more.

I'm glad Whaley isn't getting so impatient that he's looking at other opportunities.

Nix has mentioned a "transition" period. He actually mentioned it again in the presser today.

I don't understand this idea of giving the GM one last draft? Houston did the same thing with Casserly. Now of course it is always a group decision but if NIx is gone after the draft why keep him around. It is not like Whaley is new to the organization. He knows the players. What is the point of letting NIx pick players once more time and then turning those players over to Whaley/Marrone?

Anyways who cares. We all knew this was coming and Brandon looks like a fool when he keeps saying no stone will go unturned to improve the team.

Where do you get the idea Buddy has one last draft left? Didn't he sign on for 5 years?

I don't understand this idea of giving the GM one last draft? Houston did the same thing with Casserly. Now of course it is always a group decision but if NIx is gone after the draft why keep him around. It is not like Whaley is new to the organization. He knows the players. What is the point of letting NIx pick players once more time and then turning those players over to Whaley/Marrone?

Anyways who cares. We all knew this was coming and Brandon looks like a fool when he keeps saying no stone will go unturned to improve the team.

Because that GM has a ton of knowledge you are throwing away

I don't understand this idea of giving the GM one last draft? Houston did the same thing with Casserly.....

I wouldn't mind it if we ended up with a similar result as Casserly's last draft.

3 multi-probowlers & a solid starter.

Whaley's well-respected around the NFL. That exact line is always repeated when his name comes up. The basis for that however is never explained.

Every first time coach and every new guy in personnel is characterized as "well-respected" and "up and coming" in the business. At least publicly. There is so much turnover in the NFL that none of these guys are willing to burn bridges by stating their real opinions in the media, so they just talk each other up.

Why? What has anyone in the organization done over the past decade to warrant a contract and better yet, an extension?

That's how I feel about it.

Whaley has been apart of these average drafts and am concerned if he can do any better than Nix.

But since he is the heir apparent it makes sense to sign him. Hopefully Nix retires after the draft and we can see what Whaley can do.

great! you guys can rip me apart but i think since nix, whaley and this scouting staff has got here they have brought more talent here since the playoff days and i think its good that we are continuing this. coaching...(gailey and co. is another thing)

Really?

that's why we don't have any QBs, WRs, TEs, LBs and need up grades on the D-line and secondary.

Really?

that's why we don't have any QBs, WRs, TEs, LBs and need up grades on the D-line and secondary.

What upgrades are needed on the DL? Also, secondary isn't all pro, but come on, it's as deep as it's been in some time, hence the release of Wilson. Searcy has arrived, and if Williams is the nickel or moved to safety then i really like it.

Buddy has built from the lines out. Has he bricked on some picks? Of course. Would we all love to have CK or RW? YES! However, this is the guy that got us Glenn, Carrington, Mario, Urbik, Rinehart, Pears, and Dareus and has worked to re ink OL and DL depth including Colin Brown Sam Young etc.

I think we can all agree he mis-targeted CK and RW, perhaps thinking they would go a round later. But wtf guys? For years we have complained about our interior being soft on both sides. Now we finally have a GM willing to address that first and we want to run him out of town because he didn't draft Andy Freakin Dalton?

Edited by Thurmal34

Why is it one last draft. Nobody is saying that

great! you guys can rip me apart but i think since nix, whaley and this scouting staff has got here they have brought more talent here since the playoff days and i think its good that we are continuing this. coaching...(gailey and co. is another thing)

I Agree. In three years nix has brought in a ton of talent. Lets keep in mind his first two offseasons were compromised. First year was the last year of the players contract and there was very little movement. Second year was shorten due to lock out.

Still he has added

Urbik

Pears

Glenn

Hairston

Chandler

Spiller

Tjax

Graham

M Williams

Anderson

Darius

Bradham

Gilmore

A Williams ( I know maybe a bust)

Brooks

Search

And everyone's favorite fingers crossed troupe

Perhaps he adds

Geno

And solid wideout

And a couple of linebackers in this draft. I say not too shabby

I wondered, these past few months, if Nix was going to call it quits after this year. No one in the organization said anything definitive on the subject, but these recent reports of Whaley's extension make it appear to me that Nix wants to remain GM until the Bills are either a playoff team, or maybe his sights are higher yet - so it will be clear, now, that if Nix "retires" or steps down, after this season, it isn't gladly or willingly. He wants to see this thing through - and, so long as he gets us a QB, I'd like it to go down that way.

Thank you. Finally, someone's dealing in fact rather than speculation. You are correct, sir.

Nix has mentioned a "transition" period. He actually mentioned it again in the presser today.

Correct, but who says it's after THIS year's draft? Nobody definitive, that's for sure.

i think we love the players that are cut/let walk and hate all the players that are signed to extentions

It is a species of angst that seems to be unique to Buffalo fans.

What upgrades are needed on the DL? Also, secondary isn't all pro, but come on, it's as deep as it's been in some time, hence the release of Wilson. Searcy has arrived, and if Williams is the nickel or moved to safety then i really like it.

Buddy has built from the lines out. Has he bricked on some picks? Of course. Would we all love to have CK or RW? YES! However, this is the guy that got us Glenn, Carrington, Mario, Urbik, Rinehart, Pears, and Dareus and has worked to re ink OL and DL depth including Colin Brown Sam Young etc.

I think we can all agree he mis-targeted CK and RW, perhaps thinking they would go a round later. But wtf guys? For years we have complained about our interior being soft on both sides. Now we finally have a GM willing to address that first and we want to run him out of town because he didn't draft Andy Freakin Dalton?

This is all nice, but how does it explain going 16-32?

Cue blaming the fired guy.