Bill Polian loves Marrone

Meh.......Polian loved Dick Jauron as a head coach too.

i think we really need to have some perspective on Bill Polian.

Polian had two strengths as a GM:

1)He understood that you needed a QB first

2)He was bold and decisive

The first point is really all he needed to succeed.

When he took over the Bills and he knew Jim Kelly wanted no part of Buffalo, he could have done the easy thing and traded his rights. He did not.

When he started the Panthers he took a chance on Kerry Collins and a year later his Panthers were playing in the NFC Championship.

He took the Colts job knowing that he had an opportunity to draft Manning(or Leaf) and made the right decision.

Other than that, his work as a gm was nothing spectacular..... so I always take what he says about players and coaches with a grain, to say the least.....but you just can't undervalue being smart enough to know that nothing else matters much if you don't have the QB.

He wanted to trade Kelly, Ralph wouldn't let him. Saw that on an interview on NFL Network

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's look at Polian's recent track record with hiring coaches in Indianapolis.

First he hired Jim Mora. Ended up firing him. Couldn't get the job done.

Then, he hired Tony Dungy. He brought him in to turn the defense around as Peyton Manning could clearly run the offense. I don't want to hear that he won a super bowl. Peyton Manning dragged him along to win that Super Bowl. Peyton Manning won it in spite of Tony as he did a horrible job with the defense.

Then he hired Jim Caldwell. The man had the flattest affect I have ever seen out of a head coach. How he became a head coach, I have no idea. He barely ever spoke. He was fired very quickly.

As a result of all of this, I'm not so sure I'd be seeking advice on who the best head coaching candidates out there are. Polian's best hire ever was Levy and in my viewpoint, his only good hire. They should have won more Super Bowls in Indy with Peyton. Trust me, I lived in Indianapolis for Polian's tenure and have followed them closely. They didn't win more because their coaching sucked and Polian hired them.

As you can probably tell, I'm not putting much stock into this endorsement.

So I guess if nobody said anything about the hire you'd be ranting about how no one is saying anything about the new coach? It takes a large leap that guys praising a guy is a huge conspiracy orchestrated by Brandon to get guys whom he has no apparent ties or connection with to say good things about his coaching hire.

The Bills published a media packet filled with qoutes from guys like Sean Peyton, Drew Brees, Parcells, etc...

If you think Brandon, a marketing guy, did not initiate those calls to get the interview you are naive.

All i was saying is enough already. Lets see the guy coach and lets see if this team plays hard for him. Lat years team quit on Gailey, and Gailey quit on them.

I like the hire, i think. I will find out after week 16 if it was the right hire. I do not expect the Bills to be awesome next year, but to play smart fundementaly sound football would be nice.

What Polian or any of these guys say means nothing. Only thing that matters is what Marrone says to his team and how they perform for him,

Then, he hired Tony Dungy. He brought him in to turn the defense around as Peyton Manning could clearly run the offense. I don't want to hear that he won a super bowl. Peyton Manning dragged him along to win that Super Bowl. Peyton Manning won it in spite of Tony as he did a horrible job with the defense.

Then he hired Jim Caldwell. The man had the flattest affect I have ever seen out of a head coach. How he became a head coach, I have no idea. He barely ever spoke. He was fired very quickly.

As a result of all of this, I'm not so sure I'd be seeking advice on who the best head coaching candidates out there are. Polian's best hire ever was Levy and in my viewpoint, his only good hire. They should have won more Super Bowls in Indy with Peyton. Trust me, I lived in Indianapolis for Polian's tenure and have followed them closely. They didn't win more because their coaching sucked and Polian hired them.

You gotta be careful about criticizing Lord Polian around here, but I agree with most of what you say. Except that Marv wasn't a great hire either. If Indy should have won more SB's, the Bills should have won more too. The players ran than the team on the field during the Levy era.

It's interesting to hear the negative comments about Bill Polian. I would imagine they are mostly from the younger crowd who at best were crapping in diapers when the Bills were going to four straight Super Bowls. They have no idea what they are talking about.

You gotta be careful about criticizing Lord Polian around here, but I agree with most of what you say. Except that Marv wasn't a great hire either. If Indy should have won more SB's, the Bills should have won more too. The players ran than the team on the field during the Levy era.

Edited by bisonbrigade

It's interesting to hear the negative comments about Bill Polian. I would imagine they are mostly from the younger crowd who at best were crapping in diapers when the Bills were going to four straight Super Bowls. They have no idea what they are talking about.

FACT.

Like i said, you gotta be careful about criticizing Lord Polian around here. Last Polian lead Indy team finished with the worst record in the NFL. OH..I did it again!

Obviously they just won't address the QB position. i wish they would just wake up and listen to the fans and realize "Hey we need a great QB", and then go get one. I mean how damn hard is it to address this problem and go get a franchise Quarterback? It's like they just won't admit we need one. I'm just so sick of it. Every other team has a franchise Quarterback except us. Do they not see it's our number one need? I know they do it on purpose. They say they want one, but they won't do what it takes to do it.

"Daddy, I want an Oompa Loompa nowwwwwww!!!"

Obviously they just won't address the QB position. i wish they would just wake up and listen to the fans and realize "Hey we need a great QB", and then go get one. I mean how damn hard is it to address this problem and go get a franchise Quarterback? It's like they just won't admit we need one. I'm just so sick of it. Every other team has a franchise Quarterback except us. Do they not see it's our number one need? I know they do it on purpose. They say they want one, but they won't do what it takes to do it.

So you think Mark Sanchez is a franchise QB? Matt Cassell? the list goes on and on. Point is not everyone has had sucess finding there franchise QB. How many Qb's have the Bills had since Kelly? They have tried to address the QB over and over. They haven't chosen the right QB...............but it isn't that they just won't as you stated

"Daddy, I want an Oompa Loompa nowwwwwww!!!"

ahahahahahahah omg.........some of you guys kill me :)

Edited by buffalobillsgrl

Why don't you prove Belichick is "more important" than Brady? You're the one calling him a cheat, but then want me to bow down to him without Brady.

There was that year that Brady was hurt, and the Patriots went with Matt Cassell. IIRC, they had a very solid regular season record that year, and made it deep into the postseason before being eliminated.

Their Matt Cassell season, alone, does not prove whether Brady or Belichick is more valuable to that team. What it does prove is that Belichick has very significant value, and that the Patriots are not just a Brady injury away from being Dick Jauron's Buffalo Bills. Belichick has more intelligence in his right pinky than Jauron has in his entire brain; and that makes a real difference on Sundays.

The batteries must be dead in your sarcasm detecter.

What was the joke again?

Eight rookie QB's starting games in 2012....three of them leading their teams to the playoffs.....and the Bills got another corna-back with their first pick. :lol:

Buddy says he's a goodn'.

What is downright hysterical is the Bills taking TJ Graham and the Jags taking a punter with Russell Wilson on the board in round 3. :lol:

Yeah, they've just been pullin' out all the stops to get that franchise QB. It's hard to win in the NFL.

There was that year that Brady was hurt, and the Patriots went with Matt Cassell. IIRC, they had a very solid regular season record that year, and made it deep into the postseason before being eliminated.

Their Matt Cassell season, alone, does not prove whether Brady or Belichick is more valuable to that team. What it does prove is that Belichick has very significant value, and that the Patriots are not just a Brady injury away from being Dick Jauron's Buffalo Bills. Belichick has more intelligence in his right pinky than Jauron has in his entire brain; and that makes a real difference on Sundays.

Actually....you don't quite recall correctly.

Though the Patriots did win 11 games in 2008, it was the only season apart from 2002 where they have not made the playoffs since Brady became their starter(2001).

For interest:

2001: SB win

2002: No playoffs

2003: SB win

2004: SB win

2005: Playoffs 2nd round

2006: Conference final loss

2007: SB loss

2008: No playoffs (Cassel)

2009: WC loss

2010: Division loss

2011: SB loss

2012: Conference final loss

Playoffs every year in the last decade....except for the one year that they don't have Brady.

Actually....you don't quite recall correctly.

Though the Patriots did win 11 games in 2008, it was the only season apart from 2002 where they have not made the playoffs since Brady became their starter(2001).

For interest:

2001: SB win

2002: No playoffs

2003: SB win

2004: SB win

2005: Playoffs 2nd round

2006: Conference final loss

2007: SB loss

2008: No playoffs (Cassel)

2009: WC loss

2010: Division loss

2011: SB loss

2012: Conference final loss

Playoffs every year in the last decade....except for the one year that they don't have Brady.

I stand corrected. The emphasis here being on the commanding, masculine nature of my stance--not on the fact I was just corrected! :)

You make a good point that a non-playoff season is out of the ordinary for the Patriots. But 11 wins in a season doesn't seem that much different than their usual.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/13131610.php

Link to quote with Polian saying he was worried about signing Kelly.

I never disliked Polian but I think he has been in the booth too long already. It is a lot easier to look down from above, ride on past success, and look like an expert. Look at Brian Billick as an example. Polian might be out of touch and he was done in Indy; it will not be for another two or three years that we may know how he has adapted - let us watch what he says about some prospects in the drafts and some free agents.

I live in Indy. Die hard Bills fan. Dungy built a defense predicated on speed. Once the Colts took a lead, he turned them loose. Peyton Manning credits Caldwell's coaching in making him a successful QB. While Caldwell was a quiet man, he was respected by the team. His sin was the team got old in key positions and Manning had to miss a season. Polian knows football. I like his endorsement of Marrone.