Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

Where is this QB coming from in 2012?

Well.......they could try selecting one with the 8th pick in the draft and see how that goes?

I know, I know......they all stink, right? I think you see this the same way I do, but here it is anyways:

Drew Brees and Joe Flacco were the next QB's selected AFTER the Bills first pick in those drafts. Had the Bills not done every short sighted Bills fans favorite maneuver.......trading back into round 1 to take JP Losman......then Aaron Rodgers would have been the QB selected after the Bills pick the following year.

Those 3 have been the winning QB's in 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls. And all had question marks that prevented them from going earlier, like some of the guys this year.

A fourth SB winning QB in the last 5 years, Ben Roethlisberger, was selected just before the Bills took Lee Evans. Had the Bills just traded up a couple spots for Roethlisberger, instead of trying to patch that receiving hole first, Mularkey may still be the Bills coach. :lol:

Consolation QB? Jay Cutler was the first QB selected after Donte Whitner.

The idea that good QB's just weren't or wouldn't have been available when the Bills were picking in their customary 8-11 spot is a myth.

And that's to say nothing of passing on Kaep, Dalton or Russell Wilson the last two drafts.

In three years since he got here, the only attempt Buddy made for a QB in the draft was a late round flyer on Levi Brown.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be to sure about that. This is looking like a very strong draft for WRs. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them take one early.

I don't think it's a very strong draft for WR's. At the top, apparently, is a very raw prospect, Cordarrelle Patterson who only caught 46 passes last year in his only year of major college ball. Not a lot of top prospects, maybe only one first round prospect.

why is the bflo news talking like the bills said he will never play here again? i realize not tendering him makes it a lot less likely he would return but that doesnt mean the door is closed, the bills can still negotiate with him

Forget all the talk about $2M......they have basically told him he is not worth $1.32M next year. That was the simple restricted tender. It seems pretty unlikely they are trying to negotiate him down a couple hundred grand....so they are going to let him test the market. Additionally, the restricted tag usually discourages teams from negotiating with the player because the old team retains the right to match any deal.

I don't think it's a very strong draft for WR's. At the top, apparently, is a very raw prospect, Cordarrelle Patterson who only caught 46 passes last year in his only year of major college ball. Not a lot of top prospects, maybe only one first round prospect.

Forget all the talk about $2M......they have basically told him he is not worth $1.32M next year. That was the simple restricted tender. It seems pretty unlikely they are trying to negotiate him down a couple hundred grand....so they are going to let him test the market. Additionally, the restricted tag usually discourages teams from negotiating with the player because the old team retains the right to match any deal.

Totally agree. This is a d-line and o-line dominant draft. Don't see much in terms of WRs, CBs, or QBs

Can I give it a whirl? When Marrone got hired he said "“We will soon will be looking at film of all players and taking an extensive look at their skill sets."

We have to believe that Nix and the coaching staff talked about Nelson. Marrone is at the very least a very good offensive guy. If Marrone said he's just not a fit for what we are going to try to do then I've got to believe he knows what he's doing.

Clearly it wasn't about money, decent chance it's a concern about the injury, but more likely Marrone just doesn't think Nelson can perform in his scheme.

Yesterday's post was brief because I was on my phone. I'll give this another whirl.

Cutting Nelson makes absolutely no sense. Receivers with his size have a place in every offense, 6' 5" guys who can run decently and catch the ball don't grow on trees. What was the reason Nelson wasn't tendered? What harm, to the Bills, would have occurred if they had given him a 3rd round tender? Are they tied to giving him a long term contract? Are they tied to a huge signing bonus? Are there a dozen other recevers on the roster who need those offseason snaps? Why would Marrone cut him before he gets an opportunity to lay eyes on him in person? Why not sign him to his tender (assuming you don't let him sign elsewhere for a pick) and see what he's got? Why take an already large talent sink hole and turn it into the mother of all talent sink holes (they're already in that position with LB too). If the Bills find out in TC that Nelson doesn't have a place on the team...cut him. Big difference cutting him when you have a full roster vs. now.

I see no benefit to it, but I hope someone with more knowledge than I have can give me a solid reason why this was done.

Marrone doesn't think Nelson can perform in his scheme? Apparently the staff has looked over all 2012 and 2011 video to make this call rather than giving him a tender and checking him out with their own set(s) of eyes.

Yesterday's post was brief because I was on my phone. I'll give this another whirl.

Cutting Nelson makes absolutely no sense. Receivers with his size have a place in every offense, 6' 5" guys who can run decently and catch the ball don't grow on trees. What was the reason Nelson wasn't tendered? What harm, to the Bills, would have occurred if they had given him a 3rd round tender? Are they tied to giving him a long term contract? Are they tied to a huge signing bonus? Are there a dozen other recevers on the roster who need those offseason snaps? Why would Marrone cut him before he gets an opportunity to lay eyes on him in person? Why not sign him to his tender (assuming you don't let him sign elsewhere for a pick) and see what he's got? Why take an already large talent sink hole and turn it into the mother of all talent sink holes (they're already in that position with LB too). If the Bills find out in TC that Nelson doesn't have a place on the team...cut him. Big difference cutting him when you have a full roster vs. now.

I see no benefit to it, but I hope someone with more knowledge than I have can give me a solid reason why this was done.

Marrone doesn't think Nelson can perform in his scheme? Apparently the staff has looked over all 2012 and 2011 video to make this call rather than giving him a tender and checking him out with their own set(s) of eyes.

When did they cut Nelson?

They didn't tender him making him an unrestricted FA. There is zero chance that he'll be back, but way to grasp at one missstatement without answering a single question that was asked.

I share your disappointment in not tendering him, but do hold out hope that he will still sign with the Bills. Not sure how many teams out there know him enough to pay 2+ mm/yr. If he doesnt get that money, he might aa well sign with the Bills at ~1.5mm/yr. All speculation ofcourse, but after sleeping on this news, I think it is NOT a given that he won't be back

Jones wasn't tendered

Our WR right now are SJ, TJ Graham, Easley, Elliot, and Hogan. Hopefully that's not how we start the season.

Yeah, what? link or it didn't happen

Yes I corrected that a couple posts after when some one else corrected me. I meant Nelson. I also said he can't be all bad if he was able to catch Fitz and Tebow's passes. This may be a mistake or they may just have a plan. I am on the fence until I see who or what they put out there next year. They might even still be lowballing him and giving him the Donte treatment with hopes of getting him back. I just hopwe if he goes elsewhere it is not in the division. Best of luck Mr. Nelson, thanks for being a Bill.

The Bills also brought in Denario Alexander for a workout last season - he's a tall, fast, explosive WR with a checkered injury history - and decided for whatever reason not to sign him on the cheap. The Chargers then signed him on the cheap, and he quickly became their #1 WR. Between that, Nelson, trading Lynch for peanuts, and passing on several young All Pro-potential QBs, we have missed and passed on numerous opportunities to make this team competitive.

Not trying to go on a crusade here, so I'll sum it up like this: I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT BUDDY NIX IS DOING.

If he has a plan for this offense, his plan makes no sense, and he should be fired.

If he does not have a plan, he should be fired.

So we are down to Stevie and TJ? I don't think we'll be signing any big name FAs, so I guess we'll be looking at WRs in the draft... Seems like we are creating unnecessary holes...

What makes you think we won't be signing a big name FA WR?

So we are down to Stevie and TJ? I don't think we'll be signing any big name FAs, so I guess we'll be looking at WRs in the draft... Seems like we are creating unnecessary holes...

With all the holes they had already, plus the new ones that have been created recently, I don't see how the Bills cannot be active in FA. They can't be planning on plugging all the holes simply from the draft.

Though WR does seem like one they can fill in the draft this year if they so choose.

The Bills also brought in Denario Alexander for a workout last season - he's a tall, fast, explosive WR with a checkered injury history - and decided for whatever reason not to sign him on the cheap. The Chargers then signed him on the cheap, and he quickly became their #1 WR. Between that, Nelson, trading Lynch for peanuts, and passing on several young All Pro-potential QBs, we have missed and passed on numerous opportunities to make this team competitive.

Not trying to go on a crusade here, so I'll sum it up like this: I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT BUDDY NIX IS DOING.

If he has a plan for this offense, his plan makes no sense, and he should be fired.

If he does not have a plan, he should be fired.

I have to admit that the Nix logic does elude me as well.

Edited by CodeMonkey

With all the holes they had already, plus the new ones that have been created recently, I don't see how the Bills cannot be active in FA. They can't be planning on plugging all the holes simply from the draft.

Though WR does seem like one they can fill in the draft this year if they so choose.

I have to admit that the Nix logic does elude me as well.

I don't know what "big name FA WR" they think they realistically could sign. The Chiefs sound likely to franchise Bowe. The Packers may franchise Jennings now (at least that was the talk this weekend). Wallace almost certainly will be snatched up by the Dolphins, who reportedly have made him their #1 priority and have a ton of cap room. Who does that leave? Brian Hartline? Danny Amendola? They're both slot receivers, and I thought we just decided Stevie is playing in the slot. Maybe Santonio Holmes if the Jets cut him. Would you want the Bills to spend their $$s on Santonio Holmes? Me neither.

Jason Peters was indeed injured last year, but in 2011 he was hands down the best left tackle in the NFL. Let's not lose sight of this fact.

Except for small fact that QB is (or was) left handled so was not protecting blind side like most LTs.

But do not let THIS fact prevent you from a ball licking.