Marrone: Playbook 80% Done

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that what Gailey tried doing? That didnt work out so well.

CBF

Because it didn't work for Gailey (who had Fritz throwing passes) means it can't work for someone else? You can say that about every type of play calling c

Kind of scary to build a playbook without knowing who the face of your offense is going to be. Or, do they?

Given the players he had, I think Gailey actually did a pretty good job on offense. Would we have wanted Gailey to design an offense built around deep throws? I would have wanted Spiller more involved, but it was Wanstach that screwed the pooch and he was the one who installed a defense solely based on his prior system, not the players.

I agree. I always thought the scheme of the offense was just fine, the players and QB had trouble executing it

I wouldn't read too much into this.

If they draft a scrambler or runner, or if they draft a pocket passer, all this will change.

A good coach fits his plays/schemes to the players. At this point, we don't know who will be behind center.

I hope they get a copy to Tarvaris Jackson as soon as possible. It took him a while to learn the last one.

I know! Just when he learned the last one...

Now it's going to take another year. By 2015, he should be ready to suit up for second string.

He also said:

"We even included a few plays specifically designed for Fitz. One of them is called "Jet 42" which means, the WR takes 4 steps downfield, turns and the ball should be approximately 2 yards above the receiver's head or 2 yards in front of him in the turf. It should work to throw off the DB assuming the receiver has a 60 inch vertical leap or can dive forward far enough to get possession of the ball. For that reason, we are looking for receivers in this combine with excellent vertical leap and broad jump skills"

If we could only duct-tape four Calvin Johnson clones together, Fitz would be unstoppable.

During his address to national media, Marrone spoke briefly about how things were coming along. While a lot of it was inevitable dancing around to make sure he didn't give too much away about what he thought about certain players in the draft, I took two points.

1) According to Marrone, the playbook and schemes are 80% done. With a good month before free agency starts.

2) The schemes of the coordinators he brought in are going to be very similar to what they did before they joined the Bills and this is the reason why they were brought on: to limit the time in transition.

Maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid (I always am) but it seems like there is a plan in place for the first time in years.

But of course, I'm just one Kool-Aid drinker...

We all thought there was a plan in place when Chan and Buddy were hired too. I love the Bills, but I'm not going to get all excited about a coach that built up a crappy college program to a respectable program.. I like the hire, and I love the Bills but until I see production I'm not going to drink anything but beer.

We all thought there was a plan in place when Chan and Buddy were hired too. I love the Bills, but I'm not going to get all excited about a coach that built up a crappy college program to a respectable program.. I like the hire, and I love the Bills but until I see production I'm not going to drink anything but beer.

The Chin even gave the Gailey hire his seal of apporval. Then they bring in Wannacrap and you would have thought, the Bills would win it all. Even the boneheaded ESPN blogger James Walker picked the Bills as his sleeper pick.

This new set of coaches has just as many question marks as any other in recent memory. If not more. The OC probably still

gets carded buying a 6 pack. The old Gm, is here and Brandon has proved zero as a football mind. But he can sell off home games like no one else.

No Kool aid for me. I wish the new staff good luck, but there are way too many questions. Thankfully, it appears the Bills will win the paper off season title yet again. It means so much until kickoff of the first game.

meh. im still concerned that most of the assistants are primarily college coaches or guys with unimpressive nfl resumes. im not sure familiarity means much if the systems dont have nfl sophistication. its safer to assume the defensive side will be ready, but offensively its a big crap shoot that what marrone and his pimply faced coordinator did in college will work here

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mike-mccarthy-sending-packers-defensive-223500639--nfl.html

if mccarthy turns to college for knowledge it must be a good thing

Kind of scary to build a playbook without knowing who the face of your offense is going to be. Or, do they?

Given the players he had, I think Gailey actually did a pretty good job on offense. Would we have wanted Gailey to design an offense built around deep throws? I would have wanted Spiller more involved, but it was Wanstach that screwed the pooch and he was the one who installed a defense solely based on his prior system, not the players.

So, what would you have them do? Should they just sit on their hands until after the draft to see who they might get? They can define an offensive system and pare out the plays that whomever plays QB isn't that good at. I don't think this is all that shocking at all.

He also said:

"We even included a few plays specifically designed for Fitz. One of them is called "Jet 42" which means, the WR takes 4 steps downfield, turns and the ball should be approximately 2 yards above the receiver's head or 2 yards in front of him in the turf. It should work to throw off the DB assuming the receiver has a 60 inch vertical leap or can dive forward far enough to get possession of the ball. For that reason, we are looking for receivers in this combine with excellent vertical leap and broad jump skills"

Doesn't matter how high or long they jump.... Fitz will STILL overthrow them by ten Yards... -Marrone can't be serious.

I'm pretty sure that's a serious quote. Any reason to doubt it?

42 jet, here we go

:lol: Yah, 42 jet right into the arms of a safety!

I don't think there's any way Marrone starts Fitz this fall. He'd have to be the stupidest coach on earth.

My advice to Marrone: BURN the old playbook, then dump it in the trash along with Fitz's uniform.

After that, you may want to start watching all the film you can get of the best team in our division...

The road back to the post-season goes through them.

Edited by #34fan

For one, Buffalo has some real talent. We've had poor drafts, sure, but recently I believe Nix has given us some real young, promising talent. We have room and flexibility with the cap. Our greatest weakness, for nearly 9 years, I'd say, has been coaching.

Let's get a grip. We have excellent RBs, some promising talent on OL and we should have a great DL (although based on what we saw last year, who knows?)

We started the offseason with a weak LB corps, now we have NO LBs which is probably an improvement. Same can be said for WR. Leodis McKelvin is our CB2. Ryan Fitzpatrick is our QB1. By my count we're at least 6 starters away from being competitive. If you're lucky you'll get 2 starters in the draft but maybe fewer.

Anyone who thinks we're a couple of trick plays away from being a contender is being a tad optimistic.

I'm pretty sure that's a serious quote. Any reason to doubt it?

42 jet, here we go

Jet 42 and Statute of Liberty = AFC Championship

Doesn't matter how high or long they jump.... Fitz will STILL overthrow them by ten Yards... -Marrone can't be serious.

I'm not sure he said those exact words...I may have taken some editorial liberties with those comments.