Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tennessee

Can Patterson stop the run?

I'm not against picking a defensive player at #8. But having the Jets former DC run things should dramatically improve the run defense on the Bills. I certainly don't want an ILB at #8 if that's what your plan would be with that pick. I'd be good with Jordan or Ansah at #8.

With that all being said, this league is now highly tilted towards offensive players. That's an undeniable fact. Defenses are being rendered toothless with these new rules. That's why having a guy with the special "make you miss" talents of Patterson would be so valuable in today's game. But like I said, I'm open to them taking a defensive player if he were a special player with huge upside of creating havoc on offenses.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, in that highlight film, Patterson does appear to jump off the screen. The problem is that most of what he's doing in it does not require the skills of a WR. He can run in the open field as good as anybody I've seen the past few years, but he's lacking in actual WR skills. Patterson is a poor route runner and has below average hands, there's a reason why his highlight is filled with KO/Punt returns and Running plays. Body-catching the majority of passes on your highlight reel isn't a very good sign that you're NFL-ready.

Patterson is not even the best Tennessee WR in this draft. He is a project, and would no way be ready to contribute the first year, except on returns. I doubt anybody drafts a project in the top half of Round 1, even the Bills.

From what I understand, he didn't get a lot of touches until later in the season. The question is what did he do when the ball was in his hands, and what he did was make people look silly.

Also, you are correct with the hands catching comment. However, just because he wasn't the #1 receiver doesn't mean he wasn't the best WR on the team. IIRC, his touches went up when they realized what kind of a playmaker he could be.

I dont think we Need to draft a receiver at eight. This year has some depth. Not necessarily one that can meet the standard of now

famous " when covered " req.

But definitely a couple that sure would be an asset .

Not at eight though.

The first pick will be defense or a reach at the Franchise QB. A necessary reach maybe.

But i sure agree we need some receivers that can upgrade our team soon

I'm not against picking a defensive player at #8. But having the Jets former DC run things should dramatically improve the run defense on the Bills. I certainly don't want an ILB at #8 if that's what your plan would be with that pick. I'd be good with Jordan or Ansah at #8.

With that all being said, this league is now highly tilted towards offensive players. That's an undeniable fact. Defenses are being rendered toothless with these new rules. That's why having a guy with the special "make you miss" talents of Patterson would be so valuable in today's game. But like I said, I'm open to them taking a defensive player if he were a special player with huge upside of creating havoc on offenses.

Again, Patterson is in on 5-7 plays a game. And he can't throw it to himself, so it might be less.

And I think everyone is going to be disappointed in Pettine 1.0. The problems last year were not all scheme related. They were talent related. There's no David Harris in the middle and other qualified linebackers on the outside. The Jets D-line blows the Bills line away in playing the run. And I might mention that Pettine wasn't the only defensive mind in NY, so his performance in Buffalo is not guaranteed....even with solid personnel.

The Bills STILL need defensive talent. It pains me to acknowledge that.

Looks pretty awesome....I'd sign off on him at 8 but would need to trade back into first to grab the qb. And if Genos on the board we have to go there IMO.

I agree if geno is still on the board we take him but if he is gone then I will be very happy with this guy but I do believe we can wait till rd 2 for a QB that can be groomed for a year behind Jackson Edited by superbills315

Picking a WR before a QB would be irresponsible. you could have all of the best WR in the world & it won't do you any good without a QB that can get the ball to them. Gino Smith if he's there otherwise the next best QB available. (Ok - maybe a LB at 8 but NOT a WR)

Picking a WR before a QB would be irresponsible. you could have all of the best WR in the world & it won't do you any good without a QB that can get the ball to them. Gino Smith if he's there otherwise the next best QB available. (Ok - maybe a LB at 8 but NOT a WR)

It worked for the Bengals...

To me he is extraordinarily similar to Ted Ginn Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ1vdXz4Sm0

Ginn selected at #9 2007 by Dolphins. Gone by 2010.

I don't think you could have chosen a more dissimilar player than Ginn. Ginn was a one-cut strider who attempted to pluck the ball out of the air but had lousy hands. Patterson is a shifty multi-cut runner who takes choppy strides and may be quicker than he is fast, which isn't to say that he's not lightening fast as well. He's also a devout body catcher.

The only real similarities are their straight line speed, and the difficulty they have beating the jam in physical press coverage.

True, in that highlight film, Patterson does appear to jump off the screen. The problem is that most of what he's doing in it does not require the skills of a WR. He can run in the open field as good as anybody I've seen the past few years, but he's lacking in actual WR skills. Patterson is a poor route runner and has below average hands, there's a reason why his highlight is filled with KO/Punt returns and Running plays. Body-catching the majority of passes on your highlight reel isn't a very good sign that you're NFL-ready.

Patterson is not even the best Tennessee WR in this draft. He is a project, and would no way be ready to contribute the first year, except on returns. I doubt anybody drafts a project in the top half of Round 1, even the Bills.

You're doing the same thing that the most in this thread are doing, making a judgement based on one highlight film, and a poorly put together highlight film at that.

You are wrong about Patterson's ability to catch with his hands. Watch his game film (not just the highlights). When he needs to, he uses his hands better than most college WRs (for the most part, I meant that he can catch with his hands in traffic and hold on to the ball after taking a hit). He does use his body a lot, but he uses it at the right times, to shield defenders.

As seen in this film and others that show more, his athleticism, vision, and change of direction are amazing! You can downplay that all you want, but it's HUGE for a WR.

Poor route running? Prove it. Just another over hyped draft-ism like "has trouble shedding blocks" or "needs better footwork" or "raw"...basically, a bunch of bull **** that people spew to make themselves sound like they know what they're talking about.

The biggest knock on Patterson (and it's a big one) is his limited time at that level. I'm always hesitant of one year wonders, and he is no exception. The draft is a crap shoot, anyone can succeed and anyone can fail. But how anyone can actually watch this guy play (not just highlights) and think he doesn't have what it takes to make that next step is a mystery to me.

Personally, I don't know about drafting him at 8. I think he will succeed in the NFL and can really change our offense (adding him to Stevie and Spiller sounds great to me), but I'm more of a OL and defensive front seven type guy when it comes to high draft picks. The fact that there aren't a lot of those guys available in this draft makes me think CP wouldn't be a bad pick.

Here's some better film of him in a lot of different situations (kick returns, running, and catching both with his body and hands).

Patterson looked awful today at the combine. Ran a pretty good 40 but looked sluggish and dropped a lot of balls in the drills. Frankly, looked like a lack of effort. Given his lack of production in college as well, I say no thanks.

Patterson looked awful today at the combine. Ran a pretty good 40 but looked sluggish and dropped a lot of balls in the drills. Frankly, looked like a lack of effort. Given his lack of production in college as well, I say no thanks.

Saw the same. Top receivers today...Robert Woods USC, Kenny Stills Okla, Wheaton Ore.st. little Tavon Auston WVU.

Interesting, I didn't watch but all the reports I've seen from yesterday say Patterson likely solidified himself as the #1 WR.

I watched, and Patterson gave everyone exactly what they expected, and no real reasons to go back to the film. His 40 time was 4.42 (6th overall), his vertical leap was 37" (good for 5th), and his broad jump was 10'8" (good for 6th). He tracked the ball well, and looked coachable. When you combine his performance with his size, and his upside, he's a lock for the #1 receiver off the board.

i read a blurb yesterday that Patterson was very unimpressive in his interviews. if true, i don't know you can pick a guy that high that wasn't even that productive and played a season. this team can use an upgrade at almost ANY postion... i'd rather take less risk at 8. get a "sure" pro-bowler.