Bills vs Sabres

The main problem with the Sabres in my opinion has been Regier. He lucked into the perfect storm for the 98-99 season, then proceeded to decimate the team by allowing Briere and Drury, then Campbell to walk (without even an offer being made according to Briere and Drury). His philosophy has been to get a good goalie, surround him with average skaters, and hope he steals a bunch of games and/or one of the average players goes on a tear like Vanek did at the beginning of this season.

You can make a case that Vanek isn't average and you could be right. But he is certainly not in the elite category. But try and name a Sabre other than Miller and Vanek that is above average. As a matter of fact, it might be a bit of a stretch to call most of the Sabres defense even average this season.

In hockey, like football, it's all about the players on the roster. And it is the GMs job to get and keep quality players on the roster. Regier, in my opinion, has failed miserably.

This is Spot On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vanek had a 2 on 1 last year with Kaleta on a sure goal and never passed ! Ask Pat about it !Guys on this team don't like each other and it shows ! Ron Rolston either knows who these selfish people are or he'll get the scoop from his brother Brian !Miller is still shot from Crosby scoring on him in the Olympic Gold medal game !He's not been the same since that game !Vanek pouts,Stafford pouts , what's Gerbe doing in the NHL ?He's a regular AHL player !I'm saying that we have not drafted any talented players ! It's our scouting/GM team ! Hey Vanek lover , he's a rich spoiled punk , my bad !He plays to how he feels that particular night! Just because you can't dump your Vanek jersey on craigslist , don't get mad at me !I want a player that if he gets creamed by Lucic , he'll pay Lucic back before the game is over ! Who on this team will do that Vanek lover ?Hope Vanek gets a hat trick tonight in a 5-3 loss !Sec.335 Season Tix Holder !

Vanek had a 2 on 1 last year with Kaleta on a sure goal and never passed ! Ask Pat about it !Guys on this team don't like each other and it shows ! Ron Rolston either knows who these selfish people are or he'll get the scoop from his brother Brian !Miller is still shot from Crosby scoring on him in the Olympic Gold medal game !He's not been the same since that game !Vanek pouts,Stafford pouts , what's Gerbe doing in the NHL ?He's a regular AHL player !I'm saying that we have not drafted any talented players ! It's our scouting/GM team ! Hey Vanek lover , he's a rich spoiled punk , my bad !He plays to how he feels that particular night! Just because you can't dump your Vanek jersey on craigslist , don't get mad at me !I want a player that if he gets creamed by Lucic , he'll pay Lucic back before the game is over ! Who on this team will do that Vanek lover ?Hope Vanek gets a hat trick tonight in a 5-3 loss !Sec.335 Season Tix Holder !

Walls of text are cool

So you're 12, got it!

BTW, name another top 6 forward who would get up after getting creamed by Lucic and "pay him back". Your list will be shorter than your vocabulary.

Do you even watch Hockey?

Are you seriously this poor with punctuation?

• 1 month later...

The players complained that Lindy was too mean , so he backed off this year. They are too overpaid to give it there all. I could retire on 1 year of there pay. Miller does need a break from a better backup. Terry will get it right, it just will take him time.

The Sabres are killing me, I expect the Bills to be bad. The Sabres are a kick in the groin. 4 points out of a playoff spot with 10(?) games left and we get housed at home? That is Bills territory. Not Sabres

The Sabres ARE as bad as we always say the Bills are. The Sabres are probably the worst team in the NHL. They are helpless in their own end. I've been a Sabres fan since day 1 and I can't recall a more pathetic team. But I can't tell if it's a lack of talent, motivation or both.

PTR

The Sabres ARE as bad as we always say the Bills are. The Sabres are probably the worst team in the NHL. They are helpless in their own end. I've been a Sabres fan since day 1 and I can't recall a more pathetic team. But I can't tell if it's a lack of talent, motivation or both.

PTR

Confused. Historically, the team always seemed to have a "plan." They seem rudderless. That has been historically Bills territory... IMO.

Sabres need a strong sense of direction.

Confused. Historically, the team always seemed to have a "plan." They seem rudderless. That has been historically Bills territory... IMO.

Sabres need a strong sense of direction.

It is bizarre because in the past Darcy has put together strong teams. But somehow this team skates like they have no idea what they are doing, especially in t heir own end. Teams regularly buzz them in their zone and the Sabres 90% of the time oblige with a turnover.

PTR

It is bizarre because in the past Darcy has put together strong teams. But somehow this team skates like they have no idea what they are doing, especially in t heir own end. Teams regularly buzz them in their zone and the Sabres 90% of the time oblige with a turnover.

PTR

Terrible power play and inability to finish games too.

PTR

Yeah. Sabres are like Yugoslavia. Marshal Tito (Lindy Ruff) is gone and the place is in shambles. I figured Ruff was the glue to this crew... Ruff still had to go though, better now than prolonging the pain...

It's more frustrating with the Sabres because they have no excuse for being bad. They can get most quality talent. There's no cheapskate owner disadvantage (and this was the case before St. Pegula, too). Buffalo is a viable hockey market, compared to the NFL growing way past our decaying level.

Something went wrong with the Sabres team this year, defensively they've regressed so much. And they've been lacking in quality scorers except for Vanek since Briere left. I hope Darcy takes advantage of the Sabres being in a great selling position this week.

Edited by Leelee Phoenix

It's more frustrating with the Sabres because they have no excuse for being bad. They can get most quality talent. There's no cheapskate owner disadvantage (and this was the case before St. Pegula, too). Buffalo is a viable hockey market, compared to the NFL growing way past our decaying level.

Something went wrong with the Sabres team this year, defensively they've regressed so much. And they've been lacking in quality scorers except for Vanek since Briere left. I hope Darcy takes advantage of the Sabres being in a great selling position this week.

They were very much a "system team" micromanaged under Ruff.

Who says Pat Kane doesn't come here in two years to captain the team for mega bucks? Throw the Chicago Trump Tower digs off for a year around home on Lake Erie.

I am not saying "savior." But whole new direction and system...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

They started the season with one NHL center and still have one NHL center. That's where it begins and probably where it ends.

The main problem with the Sabres in my opinion has been Regier. He lucked into the perfect storm for the 98-99 season, then proceeded to decimate the team by allowing Briere and Drury, then Campbell to walk (without even an offer being made according to Briere and Drury). His philosophy has been to get a good goalie, surround him with average skaters, and hope he steals a bunch of games and/or one of the average players goes on a tear like Vanek did at the beginning of this season.

You can make a case that Vanek isn't average and you could be right. But he is certainly not in the elite category. But try and name a Sabre other than Miller and Vanek that is above average. As a matter of fact, it might be a bit of a stretch to call most of the Sabres defense even average this season.

In hockey, like football, it's all about the players on the roster. And it is the GMs job to get and keep quality players on the roster. Regier, in my opinion, has failed miserably.

You nailed it. Regier is in way over his head with the GM job as is Buddy Nix. I was hoping he would get the ax also. Talent....what talent ??? Vanek AND Miller....and,and IM still looking. The Sabres gave it a good go at Boston tonight but the Bruins superior talent won it for them in the third period

You nailed it. Regier is in way over his head with the GM job as is Buddy Nix. I was hoping he would get the ax also. Talent....what talent ??? Vanek AND Miller....and,and IM still looking. The Sabres gave it a good go at Boston tonight but the Bruins superior talent won it for them in the third period

No question Darcy holds the bag here but the last couple great Sabres teams were built by Darcy too. So what happened now? Someone suggested that Regier does his best work when his hands are tied financially. Now Terry tells him to spend as much as he wants and you get this dumpster fire.

The other mystery is Tyler Myers. How do you go from the Calder Trophy ROY to a total defensive liability? The guy is horrible now, not that the Sabres have benched him for it.

Then there is the rumor that TP is another Ralph Wilson-type meddling owner and that he is telling Reiger who to sign.

PTR