Bills vs Sabres

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have gutless,amateur no talent players !You have punks like Vanek,Miller,Stafford,Leopold,and on and on ! I hope Ralston kicks their asses !These are rich kids their whole lives ! Spoiled little girls, that can't stick up for each other !Nice scouting for talent Darcy !

You have gutless,amateur no talent players !You have punks like Vanek,Miller,Stafford,Leopold,and on and on ! I hope Ralston kicks their asses !These are rich kids their whole lives ! Spoiled little girls, that can't stick up for each other !Nice scouting for talent Darcy !

Vanek has been tearing it up but the rest need to step up.

I don't know anything about the intricacies of the game but the team needs be way more physical all over; no one fighting for the puck along the boards, leaving opponents free around the net , no checking and no urgency to get the puck in the opponents zone.

If it were me I'd have our team constantly putting pressure on to get the puck to the net, basically make it look like a power play as much as possible.

They can't score if they are never in your zone.

I stopped reading when you called Vanek a no talent punk. He's a lot of things, but I've never seen a poster here more off base.

Are you 12 or just trolling, or both?

huh...i will agree kind of, maybe, a little bit, not really with some of this. Vanek has been the best player in the league for 6 weeks. Not sure you can be mad at him for any of this. I liked Stafford a lot when coming out of Rochester, but definitely didn't pan out like we thought. Miller is an above average goal tender. Stops there. Not elite, can't handle 60 games a year. I am more upset with his contract and public percepton then I am with him. His playing time has been totally mis-managed. Leopold is doo doo

The main problem with the Sabres in my opinion has been Regier. He lucked into the perfect storm for the 98-99 season, then proceeded to decimate the team by allowing Briere and Drury, then Campbell to walk (without even an offer being made according to Briere and Drury). His philosophy has been to get a good goalie, surround him with average skaters, and hope he steals a bunch of games and/or one of the average players goes on a tear like Vanek did at the beginning of this season.

You can make a case that Vanek isn't average and you could be right. But he is certainly not in the elite category. But try and name a Sabre other than Miller and Vanek that is above average. As a matter of fact, it might be a bit of a stretch to call most of the Sabres defense even average this season.

In hockey, like football, it's all about the players on the roster. And it is the GMs job to get and keep quality players on the roster. Regier, in my opinion, has failed miserably.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The main problem with the Sabres in my opinion has been Regier. He lucked into the perfect storm for the 98-99 season, then proceeded to decimate the team by allowing Briere and Drury, then Campbell to walk (without even an offer being made according to Briere and Drury). His philosophy has been to get a good goalie, surround him with average skaters, and hope he steals a bunch of games and/or one of the average players goes on a tear like Vanek did at the beginning of this season.

You can make a case that Vanek isn't average and you could be right. But he is certainly not in the elite category. But try and name a Sabre other than Miller and Vanek that is above average. As a matter of fact, it might be a bit of a stretch to call most of the Sabres defense even average this season.

In hockey, like football, it's all about the players on the roster. And it is the GMs job to get and keep quality players on the roster. Regier, in my opinion, has failed miserably.

He didn't have a choice to keep Campbell under Golisano. After matching the Vanek offer sheet, there wasn't room in the budget to keep Vanek and Campbell. Unless, of course, they let Miller walk.

Would you rather have Miller or Campbell?

On the other hand:

Name the players on Florida, Ottawa or Phoenix who are "above average" they too, like the Sabres, have only 2 or 3 quality players. Unlike Buffalo, they show up to play every night. And were in the playoffs last year.

Sure the Sabres aren't a star studded team. But coaching means a lot in the league too.

Campbell got ridiculous money. He didn't live up to that contract and was dumped. We all know the story with Briere and Drury and that the decision may not have been Regier's call. There's plenty of things to criticize the guy about so there isn't much need to reach for things like this.

You sound like one of the idiots that call in to Schopp and Bulldog and proceed to get lambasted

Just like the Bills. The Sabres were only cleaning the basement, instead of the house.

Both teams forgot or won't can the GM's, thus insuring more of the same mediocrity (A Buffalo Tradition).

This ^. Poor talent evaluation and personnel decisions are what made the Sabres what they are today, similarly to the Bills. IMO, their lack of success sits squarely on the shoulders of Darcy. Vanek and Miller are top talents IMO, but they don't have anywhere near the depth and total talent of the good teams in the NHL. Most glaringly on Defense, and lines 3/4.

My whole point was that it is amazing these teams are in about the same spot with a total different approach. Heck looking at Lindy's time frame in Buffalo as coach it's almost the same as the Bills not making the playoffs, dun, dun, dun!!!!!.... Might as well blame him for that too!!!! :doh:

My whole point was that it is amazing these teams are in about the same spot with a total different approach. Heck looking at Lindy's time frame in Buffalo as coach it's almost the same as the Bills not making the playoffs, dun, dun, dun!!!!!.... Might as well blame him for that too!!!! :doh:

Right now the teams are in the same spot, but the Sabres are typically competitive even when they're not contenders. This season is the aberration and frankly I doubt that they'll finish in the cellar of the division.

The big difference between the Sabres and Bills. Is, the Sabres although clumsily are actually committed

to not only winning. But winning it all. This years (and last) are not an accurate predictor of the teams future.

The new owner is going through the learning curve (slowly). He has said multiple times his dream

of bringing the cup to B-Lo. He's committed. Ralph, has never said anything near that. He has given the standard

lip service over his 52+ years though. Most long time fans don't buy it, or at the least have loads of skepticism.

The new regime brings plenty of questions. Brandon being the big one. He was a GM, how was that? Now, even

higher up the Bills food chain. he keeps a GM who has demonstrated very little savvy in his first crack at GM. The

entire scouting department is suspect. Whaley's recent comments bring little comfort of him being capable of being

a successful GM.

The parade for winning the Stanly cup, will happen before a Lombardi travels in a parade in Buffalo. Personally,

I hope I'm still alive to see it. Either or will do.

The big difference between the Sabres and Bills. Is, the Sabres although clumsily are actually committed

to not only winning. But winning it all. This years (and last) are not an accurate predictor of the teams future.

The new owner is going through the learning curve (slowly). He has said multiple times his dream

of bringing the cup to B-Lo. He's committed. Ralph, has never said anything near that. He has given the standard

lip service over his 52+ years though. Most long time fans don't buy it, or at the least have loads of skepticism.

The new regime brings plenty of questions. Brandon being the big one. He was a GM, how was that? Now, even

higher up the Bills food chain. he keeps a GM who has demonstrated very little savvy in his first crack at GM. The

entire scouting department is suspect. Whaley's recent comments bring little comfort of him being capable of being

a successful GM.

The parade for winning the Stanly cup, will happen before a Lombardi travels in a parade in Buffalo. Personally,

I hope I'm still alive to see it. Either or will do.

You make some excellent points. I don't get why if Brandon isn't making the football "players" decision then why is he at the combine?

...As for whoever trashed Thomas Vanek???... Have you seen a game this year???... He's only the leading scorer in the NHL... no link needed.