Oscar Pitorius (Bionic Leg Olympic Sprinter) charged with murder

The Poojer

how strange, hopefully it isn't that she surprised him on valentines day like some are reporting, but they also say this isn't the first time police have been called to the residence....very strange...

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/oscar-pistorius-blade-runner-charged-with-murder-shooting-death-girfriend-reeva-steenkamp-021413

Terribly sad. Sounds like a history of domestic abuse here. Ladies (if you're out there) if a guy lays so much as a hand on you, please get out of that house and don't look back. Gather the kids in the night if you have to. Otherwise, you risk being another headline.

As for Pistorius, I have to admit that I got caught up in the inspirational story during the Olympics. Just goes to show we don't know these guys like we pretend to.

And oh for the love of irony...

http://www.ibelieveinadv.com/commons/nike5.jpg

story doesn't seem to be checking out for Pistorius...............police are baffled how the girl scaled 10 foot wall and electric fence to "surprise" him.

sounds like it's up in the air.......the domestic issues surely can't help. makes me sick 2 million from Nike and your gonna blow it.....blade runners gonna be tossed around the prison yard soon enough it seems.

Yea - does not sound like his defense will fly. police called to the home for a fight that night, he lives in a gated compound with several layers of security, and she was shot through the bathroom door....

but apparently hes thinking the "she snuck into the gated, secure community scaled the wall to my house, made it past the barbed wire and into the actual house where she was hiding in the bathroom just two hours after neighbors called the police for a fight because she wanted to surprise me for valentines" defense will work.

http://deadspin.com/5984511/reports-police-were-called-to-oscar-pistoriuss-house-hours-before-the-shooting-reeva-steenkamp-was-shot-through-the-bathroom-door

Same here. Glad he won't be cheating his way to any more Olympics.

Seriously. How, in anyone's mind, was it ever fair to allow someone with blades (which won't break, have no muscle or tendons, will never cramp, and don't need to stretched properly prior to use) to compete against runners with actual calves and feet?

Yea - does not sound like his defense will fly. police called to the home for a fight that night, he lives in a gated compound with several layers of security, and she was shot through the bathroom door....

but apparently hes thinking the "she snuck into the gated, secure community scaled the wall to my house, made it past the barbed wire and into the actual house where she was hiding in the bathroom just two hours after neighbors called the police for a fight because she wanted to surprise me for valentines" defense will work.

http://deadspin.com/...e-bathroom-door

That was the genius of her surprise!

Seriously. How, in anyone's mind, was it ever fair to allow someone with blades (which won't break, have no muscle or tendons, will never cramp, and don't need to stretched properly prior to use) to compete against runners with actual calves and feet?

I never thought of it that way but you have a point.

Also saw something about this on the news this morning. They recovered a blood covered cricket bat. What is that about?

Edited by Fan in San Diego

Terribly sad. Sounds like a history of domestic abuse here. Ladies (if you're out there) if a guy lays so much as a hand on you, please get out of that house and don't look back. Gather the kids in the night if you have to. Otherwise, you risk being another headline.

As for Pistorius, I have to admit that I got caught up in the inspirational story during the Olympics. Just goes to show we don't know these guys like we pretend to.

And oh for the love of irony...

http://www.ibelievei...mmons/nike5.jpg

These reactions bother me. Having a daughter, this is a subject that greatly concerns me, particularly in regards to a future time where she may be in this situation and I've since checked out of this world and am unable to put a gun in his mouth and see to it that he understands reason. But it seems that too often with this topic (like EVERY controversial topic), in an ill-advised but well intentioned attempt, we throw the whole spectrum into the same bucket, put the same label on it, and rubber stamp anything that could be labelled "domestic violence".

A lot of overzealous prosecutors do a lot of damage with these cases. When we start blurring the line between a guy that balls up his fist and drills a girl in the face, and a guy who shoves a raving lunatic on the couch because she's up in his face screaming and physically imposing her presence on him, we've not made a step in the right direction.

Edited by Rob's House

These reactions bother me. Having a daughter, this is a subject that greatly concerns me, particularly in regards to a future time where she may be in this situation and I've since checked out of this world and am unable to put a gun in his mouth and see to it that he understands reason. But it seems that too often with this topic (like EVERY controversial topic), in an ill-advised but well intentioned attempt, we throw the whole spectrum into the same bucket, put the same label on it, and rubber stamp anything that could be labelled "domestic violence".

A lot of overzealous prosecutors do a lot of damage with these cases. When we start blurring the line between a guy that balls up his fist and drills a girl in the face, and a guy who shoves a raving lunatic on the couch because she's up in his face screaming and physically imposing her presence on him, we've not made a step in the right direction.

As a father of a daughter as well. I share your future concerns as well. I have raised her to have as much self respect as humanly possible, so hopefully if anyone is disrespectful to her she will have enough self respect to leave asap.

Well said. The "lays so much as a hand on them" was hyperbole on my part. I'll amend my previous statement: Any person who feels that their spouse or partner is a threat to their safety should get out of there. Sticking around out of fear or misplaced loyalty is bad news.

A slight turn in events, the Detective in charge of the case, Hilton Botha, is himself on trial for attempted murder of 7 people. Also he took the stand for the bail hearing and this came forward:

• Detective Warrant Officer Hilton Botha, the first officer to arrive at the house, also admits he had compromised the crime scene with ‘unprotected shoes’
  • Prosecution admitting they originally missed a bullet cartridge in the toilet basin
  • Det Botha calling the substance found in Pistorius' bedroom 'steroids' only to be corrected by the prosecution that it was a box of 'testosterone'
  • Det Botha at first saying he had a statement from someone 600m away, then changing that to 300m, and later saying he was not sure
  • Det Botha agreeing defence lawyer that police had no evidence challenging the runner's claim he accidentally killed his girlfriend in a bathroom, believing it was an intruder

Very Weird.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

A slight turn in events, the Detective in charge of the case, Hilton Botha, is himself on trial for attempted murder of 7 people. Also he took the stand for the bail hearing and this came forward:

• Detective Warrant Officer Hilton Botha, the first officer to arrive at the house, also admits he had compromised the crime scene with ‘unprotected shoes’
  • Prosecution admitting they originally missed a bullet cartridge in the toilet basin
  • Det Botha calling the substance found in Pistorius' bedroom 'steroids' only to be corrected by the prosecution that it was a box of 'testosterone'
  • Det Botha at first saying he had a statement from someone 600m away, then changing that to 300m, and later saying he was not sure
  • Det Botha agreeing defence lawyer that police had no evidence challenging the runner's claim he accidentally killed his girlfriend in a bathroom, believing it was an intruder

Very Weird.

Det Botha is just an alias for Mark Furman.

i dont usually get caught up in how hot this or that woman is, but that is probably the most physically beautiful girl ive ever seen in my life

idk what really happened but what kind of retard just opens fire on an unseen person behind a door? ive never been in that situation but id like to think id have at least enough presence of mind to either leave the room or at least shout a warning before filling an unseen room full of bullets

Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius is granted bail

A South African court granted bail to double-amputee Olympic track athlete Oscar Pistorius on Friday. He will be freed from custody pending his trial.

Pistorius is charged with one count of premeditated murder in the Feb. 14 killing of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.

Read more at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/prosecution-to-wrap-up-arguments-as-oscar-pistorius-bail-hearing-nears-decision/2013/02/22/aaf20a08-7cc2-11e2-9073-e9dda4ac6a66_story.html

i dont usually get caught up in how hot this or that woman is, but that is probably the most physically beautiful girl ive ever seen in my life

idk what really happened but what kind of retard just opens fire on an unseen person behind a door? ive never been in that situation but id like to think id have at least enough presence of mind to either leave the room or at least shout a warning before filling an unseen room full of bullets

If we give the benefit of the doubt that it went down that way, you may have to consider South Africa and good ol America are a bit different with regards to safety generally too.

UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius has been granted bail, is not seen as a flight risk. He is, however, still a murder risk.

Scott Bateman

If we give the benefit of the doubt that it went down that way, you may have to consider South Africa and good ol America are a bit different with regards to safety generally too.

South African judge places Oscar Pistorius under house arrest by fitting him with an ankle bracelet.

Dave Feldman

UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius has been granted bail, is not seen as a flight risk. He is, however, still a murder risk.

Scott Bateman

I hate to jump to conclusions, but I cant see how this guy can be anything but guilty.

Am I to believe that, standing in a hallway, looking at a closed door, holding a gun, he wouldnt even yell something to the effect of "WHO THE F$&% IS IN MY HOUSE?!" or anything else at the door? He just crept into the hallway, saw the door, and started firing?

Even if that is true, and he didnt attempt to find out who was on the other side, dude deserves to be convicted.

But it's not true. He knew she was in there. Nothing else seems even remotely plausible.

Scott Bateman

South African judge places Oscar Pistorius under house arrest by fitting him with an ankle bracelet.

Dave Feldman

Ankle bracelet. Thats funny.

I hate to jump to conclusions, but I cant see how this guy can be anything but guilty.

Am I to believe that, standing in a hallway, looking at a closed door, holding a gun, he wouldnt even yell something to the effect of "WHO THE F$&% IS IN MY HOUSE?!" or anything else at the door? He just crept into the hallway, saw the door, and started firing?

Even if that is true, and he didnt attempt to find out who was on the other side, dude deserves to be convicted.

But it's not true. He knew she was in there. Nothing else seems even remotely plausible.

i think im a bit in the same boat as you

the only thing to remember is we cant be applying american legal standards, processes or expectations to this. even in how he would react in the situation - south africa is not a friendly place from my limited understanding and it might edge some people - especially rich people that are targets to shoot first and ask questions later.

all in all, i think he knew what (who) he was shooting the whole time anyway though.

well i realize sa is a very dangerous place. i also read that there were contractors working on his house and he thought they may have left the ladder near his bathroom window. so the assumption of a dangerous intruder is not at all implausible

i still dont understand why he would go all the way down the hall, turn into his doorless bathroom, and then just open fire through the door to the toilet. the exit to his bedroom is right next to his bed on the opposite side of the hall to the toilet, he could have grabbed his gun, his cell, and his girl and left the danger spot completely. after calling the cops he could have continued to retreat or yelled a warning 'cops on way, ive got a gun, and ill blow your fkg head off if you dont leave now'

i suppose he could have been disoriented from just waking up but you figure that would dissipate quickly while he was grabbing his gun and stumping down the hall to shoot somebody. at the very least, he must have wanted to shoot somebody since he didnt make the choice to retreat. unless he thought maybe his gf was in the bathroom and in danger, which destroys his own story that he thought she was still in bed

i want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but its hard to see his story lininug up properly for multiple reasons. then you consider there is evidence he aggressively threatened guys he thought were too chummy with his other gfs, and that he was juicing, and it sounds much more likely it was just another case of a macho guy wanting all the bitches he can get and getting furious when his bottom B word doesnt comply with his orders

dude had everything except his legs, and id cut mine off right now if i could get that kind of dough and that kind of chick

This conversation is deteriorating quickly. The ONLY issue is whether it was reasonable for him to believe there was an intruder in the bathroom. Based on what little I know of the case that seems unlikely, but I don't know all the facts.

If there actually is a dangerous intruder in your house, his safety should be very low on your list of priorities, or else you run the risk of him being wanted for your murder.

um mcfly the issue isnt the intruders safety its the householders safety. i cant believe i have to explain this but what is safer, moving toward an intruder or moving away from one. if you look at the layout of his bedroom the safest approach for him by far was to simply leave the room. if he really thought his gf was in bed he had nothing to gain by moving toward the intruder

i realize the macho man pea brain thinks its cool to be rambo when you dont have to be, but if you want your genes to propagate i suggest a less redneck approach. on second thought, no youre right, run right into that bathroom and get that mfer

um mcfly the issue isnt the intruders safety its the householders safety. i cant believe i have to explain this but what is safer, moving toward an intruder or moving away from one. if you look at the layout of his bedroom the safest approach for him by far was to simply leave the room. if he really thought his gf was in bed he had nothing to gain by moving toward the intruder

i realize the macho man pea brain thinks its cool to be rambo when you dont have to be, but if you want your genes to propagate i suggest a less redneck approach. on second thought, no youre right, run right into that bathroom and get that mfer

no idea why that double posted

My post wasn't directed solely at you, otherwise I'd have quoted your post, but you've made it clear that the usage of that feature escapes you.

The only problem I have with your take, which is a fairly minor quibble, is the part where you suggest shouting at him. The only communication you want to have with the intruder is the sound of the pump action on your shotgun. And no, you shouldn't go exploring the house.

Well, there's that. And, who's wife, GF, mistress, MILF, FWB, whatever. While spending the night with you. Locks herself in the bathroom to take a pee in the middle of the night in the dark?

he might be thinking his best move is to go on the offensive.

which is almost always the wrong move. time after time after time you hear about guys who go on the offensive and something bad happens. life isnt a die hard movie, retreat is almost always the right choice. granted if youre cornered then yeah do what you gotta do. but macho man attitudes in those situations are really more darwinistic than smart

which is almost always the wrong move. time after time after time you hear about guys who go on the offensive and something bad happens. life isnt a die hard movie, retreat is almost always the right choice. granted if youre cornered then yeah do what you gotta do. but macho man attitudes in those situations are really more darwinistic than smart

Moving towards your target in a confined battle space is always more desirable. If you allow your enemy to set up their positions while you attempt to set up a defense is a bad choice.