No talk between Bills and Byrd / Levitre

BeastMode54

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From this article.

At least one will be here next season, both wouldn't surprise me.

I am taking the opposite view. I think both will be gone.

My sense is that they think they can maybe get by with Searcy and Wilson (or shift Aaron Williams) at safety positions.

And while Levitre is probably the team's MVP, most GM's don't like overpaying for guards.

My sense is that they think they can maybe get by with Searcy and Wilson (or shift Aaron Williams) at safety positions.

And while Levitre is probably the team's MVP, most GM's don't like overpaying for guards.

Is that your common sense speaking or your dark sense of humor?

Are they better than their back-ups? Are the Bills loaded with talent at other positions? Can the Bills afford 2 more holes that must be filled?

I think that the answers to those questions will quickly help the coaching staff make up their collective mind.

Russ is under the gun again with 2 key UFA's hitting the market. I would expect the personnel folks have a plan for how to address both players, and, at the least, are in the middle of evaluating the team and their needs. Not opening negotiations 1 month into the off-season is concerning though

Teams will spend on a guard if they've got lots of cap space, like Tampa Bay did last season on Carl Nicks. The NFL is a win-now league, and while guard is a more easily replaced position, teams will spend if they can get a dependable instant upgrade so as to focus on more in-demand positions.

http://espn.go.com/n...ct-cap-strategy

The Bills have 20.6M in space, but look at the teams with more. There are 13 of them and with solid UFA's rarely hitting the market, I can see a team spending on a good player like Levitre.

Edited by BillsVet

This is why this team stinks and will continue to stink. When we allow our better players to leave we keep creating more holes to fill. Then we can never fill all of them.

Really? Which FA have they allowed to leave since Buddy became GM?

Stevie?

Freddie?

Kyle Williams?

Chandler?

Pears?

Urbik?

Ah, nevermind, just go back to whining about stuff that isn't even true.

As long as Ralph owns the team they will remain cheap and lose good players. Ralph and this organization is one of the worst in the NFL. The good news is Levitre and Byrd will finally experience what it's like to play in the post season. If they stay with the Bills they will NEVER play in a championship game. The Bills are bottom feeders and will remain at the bottom of the standings until Ralph dies and the team is sold to an owner who wants to win. Russ Brandon will listen to Ralph and drive this team into the ground. :sick::bag::thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Just like they cheaped out on Stevie, and refused to pay FAs like Mario and Mark Anderson.

What's with the complete dismissal of facts today?

Why would you have the sense that they think they can get by with two strong safeties, one of whom is in a terrible slump?

If both players leave it will be because they had the free choice to do so and exercized their right to do so and not because the Bills think they can get by with inferior players at both positions. All the Bills can do is make the best monetary offer.

GO BILLS!!!

what worries me is while they haven't talked to these two guys, they HAVE talked to David Nelson. Well that's a relief...

http://blogs.buffalo...ining-camp.html

I don't see why that's a big deal. They've probably talked because they want to discuss the tender that will be placed on him, as that will dictate his negotiating power with other teams. With Levitre and Byrd one of them will be franchised and the other will probably hit the open market. I would hope that each player would give the Bills a chance to match any offer, but who knows what these two want. Many people would probably not turn down an offer to move cross country and get a 5x raise, even if they could stay for a 4x raise. It would be sad, you'd leave friends behind, but you'd also be taking advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I hope that the allure of staying and building something in Buffalo would be there, but I cannot blame them in the least for not acting like us lifelong Bills fans would.

This is why this team stinks and will continue to stink. When we allow our better players to leave we keep creating more holes to fill. Then we can never fill all of them.

No. That's not why they stink. The reason they stink is they haven't had an owner that is committed to winning and providing a dynamic and current infrastructure to support that.

As a result, they continually overpay players that do not perform anywhere near their contract. ie. Kelsay, McGee, Merriman, Fitz, etc. What they are particularly abysmal at, is when they do allow a player to leave in FA that has been solid for them, they do not fill that void with a player anywhere near close to the level of performance that they let go... and that is gross incompetence.

In the case of Levitre and Byrd. Let's be real, how high are their ceilings? And how well do they project into the new schemes? Levitre's void could easily be filled by moving Glenn inside and drafting a LT early, or simply signing Brandon Moore for much less. Byrd hasn't played up to rookie season. He's also not that physical, and as evidenced, Pettine's defense places a higher premium on physicality over coverage ability and ball hawking... ie. Leonhard, Bell, Landry. He wants players that attack, hit, and strip.

The key is, if the Bills let either or both walk. That won't be a sin or a huge problem. The sin and huge problem will be if the Bills don't fill those voids with players that do not perform at least as good or better. That will be a quick signal that the Bills are the same ole Bills, committed to losing.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

I am a Buddy fan, but of he is truly in charge of the roster as Uncle Russ says then this gets done or worked on regardless of whose coaching. The conversation would go like this.

-Hey Buddy can you wait to sit these guys until I can evaluate them?

-Doug, you just worry about coaching I'll get you the guys. You can evaluate their film to see what you will be getting next year, but they're coming back.

yep pretty much sums it up.

and machinegunkelly is right. unless andy is a weiner we will have em both

True, but times have changed with the new CBA. Elite LTs were often selected in the top 5. Their cost was HUGE. Now, the Bills would at least appear to have that spot, as well as RT sewn up for a few years. Levitre is their best blocker. There is no reason not to keep him, especially when players such as Kelsay, Barnett, and many others can and will be cut.

Edited by Bill from NYC

True, but times have changed with the new CBA. Elite LTs were often selected in the top 5. Their cost was HUGE. Now, the Bills would at least appear to have that spot, as well as RT sewn up for a few years. Levitre is their best blocker. There is no reason not to keep him, especially when players such as Kelsay, Barnett, and many others can and will be cut.

Right tackle is far from set. Hairston regressed in 2012 before his injury.

I don't see why that's a big deal. They've probably talked because they want to discuss the tender that will be placed on him, as that will dictate his negotiating power with other teams. With Levitre and Byrd one of them will be franchised and the other will probably hit the open market. I would hope that each player would give the Bills a chance to match any offer, but who knows what these two want. Many people would probably not turn down an offer to move cross country and get a 5x raise, even if they could stay for a 4x raise. It would be sad, you'd leave friends behind, but you'd also be taking advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I hope that the allure of staying and building something in Buffalo would be there, but I cannot blame them in the least for not acting like us lifelong Bills fans would.

well put

Amen. There is plenty of salary to dump. And Levitre I would say is our best player not named Spiller. Durable, tough, and proven- it is imperative that we resign Levitre. That should be our utmost priority.

Right tackle is far from set. Hairston regressed in 2012 before his injury.

OK, but he is at least average, and btw I think that Pears is an underrated player, though his health is an admitted concern.

The Bills are weak at SO many spots, it might be hard and unwise for them to focus on RT, at least with an early pick.