No talk between Bills and Byrd / Levitre

BeastMode54

I am taking the opposite view. I think both will be gone.

My sense is that they think they can maybe get by with Searcy and Wilson (or shift Aaron Williams) at safety positions.

And while Levitre is probably the team's MVP, most GM's don't like overpaying for guards.

Not Marv Levy :D :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I done

Free agency starts March 12. We have a month to get a deal done on either Byrd or Levitre. Letting them test FA is basically letting them know that 31 teams can pay them more than we can.

It's not about "letting" them do anything. It's about their right to test their worth on the open market. Little the Bills can do about that, regardless what they offer before hand. Levitre and Byrd would be stupid to sign a deal before knowing how much they can fetch otherwise.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The new coaching staff would need time to complete player evaluations and make their recommendations to the FO. If its true that the Bills contacted Fitz for a restructure, they are now beginning the processs of working with the agents. Maybe they wil see what Fitz is willing to agree too so tjey know how much money they have. I will be suprrised if we dont make a major push to retain both Byrd and Levitre.

This is why this team stinks and will continue to stink. When we allow our better players to leave we keep creating more holes to fill. Then we can never fill all of them.

Yeah, we NEVER sign our own players...except for the ones we do. We let D. Bell walk. What a loss.

PTR

It IS a little puzzling that one of the worst teams in the NFL won't go a little harder after arguably 2 of the top 10 free agents (which are are on their own team).

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?

We literally have no idea what conversations have transpired between OBD and these two players.

I'm still waiting for someone to point out to me where Buddy Nix has let a valuable free agent walk since his tenure began?

Two starters have left as free agents: Whitner and Poz.

Did anyone watch the Superbowl? Baltimore's entire game plan centered around throwing at Whitner and Culliver, and it worked time and time again...who's disappointed we didn't give the guy the $5M per year he wanted?

Poz got $7M per from Jax, and in return helped them achieve a nice 3-win season. Good stuff.

So, again, please point out to me where Buddy has let a valuable FA leave?

Stevie? Freddie? Kyle Williams? Pears? Urbik? Chandler?

I'll wait...

They won't both be gone. Right now is draft time for the Bills. It's still early. Everyone paniced about Stevie. With the coaching changes I think we have a shot of keeping both. If not, I'd rather keep Byrd as someone with his skill set seems harder to replace than Levitre.

Free Agency period is well before the draft. If the Bills wait until after the draft they will both be gone.

Bills are supposedly approaching Fitz to restructure his deal. Good move because he will be a cap hit anyway. This will free-up more cap space/money and is a good preliminary move before negotiating new deals with Levitre & Byrd & perhaps pursuing other FA's.

They have two of their best players without a contract, yet they are trying to find ways to keep of one their worst players? That is why ths franchise has been so successful over the past decade. Wow?

They have two of their best players without a contract, yet they are trying to find ways to keep of one their worst players? That is why ths franchise has been so successful over the past decade. Wow?

I think you are missing dude's point. Fitz's money already-earned hits the Bills no matter what if they cut him, and they will be practically forced to cut him due to the upcoming bonus. What restructuring does is potentially allow them more cap room to sign the important players, than would cutting him outright.

I am not a Fitz fan either, but I see some monetary value in it. Personally, I'd rather roll the dice on cutting him earlier and washing our hands of him, but he has to know that is a threat anyway, as there are few guaranteed contracts in the NFL.

I think you are missing dude's point. Fitz's money already-earned hits the Bills no matter what if they cut him, and they will be practically forced to cut him due to the upcoming bonus. What restructuring does is potentially allow them more cap room to sign the important players, than would cutting him outright.

I am not a Fitz fan either, but I see some monetary value in it. Personally, I'd rather roll the dice on cutting him earlier and washing our hands of him, but he has to know that is a threat anyway, as there are few guaranteed contracts in the NFL.

I agree, that he is a smart dude, so he knows if he don't restructure he is most likely gone, and no other team is gonna give him what the Bills will on a restructured deal. I agree, I would be much happier if they just dumped him and moved on and tried to start winning. Keeping him around another year is just delaying this organization from moving ahead offensively for another year. I guess the Bills have to choose between winning and money?

1) Near consensus top 3? By who?He wasn't ranked in the top 10 by espn or bleacher going into the 2012 season. I find no ranking of him anywhere that puts him in the top 3. Please point me to that.

2) As I mentoned, he's not physical. He is not that good when he drops down in the box or against the run. Check out the type of safeties Pettine used in Baltimore & NY. They were essentially linbackers on slimfast... and big hitters... especially at the los. Byrd does not fit that description and is not a good fit for the new atta king scheme.

he wasnt in the bleacher top 10?!?!?!

i hope buddy brings that slide show to the negotiation table.

Edited by NoSaint