Your 2013 draft strategy if you were the Bill’s GM?

simpleman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am GM first order of business is deciding who we keep and who we let go. For me I make it priority number one to resign AL and either sign or tag Byrd. Id prefer to keep Moore, Merriman, Rinehart and Nelson at a reasonable price for each. Everyone else can go as far as I'm concerned. In addition I'd cut Kelsay, Brad Smith and Lindell.

Next in FA I would use our cap space on attempting to sign Dwayne Bowe and either Paul Kruger or Conner Barwin. Wouldn't mind testing the waters on Jared Cook or Delanie Walker either depending on our cap situation.

As far as the draft I'd have two scenarios:

1. Able to trade back to 16-20 and pick up a 2nd round pick in 2014. In this case my perfect draft would be...

Round 1: DJ Fluker RT Alabama

Round 2: Kevin Minter ILB LSU

Round 3: Chase Thomas OLB Stanford

Round 4: Tyler Bray QB Tennessee

Round 5: Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati

Round 6: Dwayne Gratz CB Connecticut

Round 7: Conner Vernon WR Duke

Sign Dustin Hopkins as an undrafted free agent.

Then package our 1st and two 2nds in 2014 to move up for our "franchise" qb.

Scenario #2: Stay at 8...

Round 1: Eric Fisher LT Cental Michigan

Round 2: Kevin Minter MLB LSU

Round 3: EJ Manuel QB Florida State

Round 4: Tharold Simon CB LSU

Round 5: Cobi Hamilton WR Arkansas

Round 6: Vance McDonald TE Rice

Round 7: Silas Redd RB USC

Sign Dustin Hopkins K Florida St as an undrafted free agent and again move up for qb in 2014

Bills don't have a 7th rd. pick. I like moving back in the 1st and acquiring another pick or two in your first scenario. Here's my wish list of players.

1) Lane Johnson OT Oklahoms

2) Khaseem Greene LB Rutgers

3) Quinton Patton WR LA Tech

3) Mike Glennon QB NC State

4) Tyrann Mathieu CB (Honey Badger won't last til 6th rd)

5) AJ Klein LB Iowa State

6) Vance McDonald TE Rice

Getting a first rd talent in 4th will be key to draft. Hopefully Belichick won't snatch him before that.

As mentioned no 7th rounder. Love the idea of Gratz form UConn in the 4th or 5th. A physical guy that has good instincts.

If we came away with Barkley or Wilson @ QB, DeAndre Hopkins Or Markus Wheaton @ WR and Jordan Reid or Joseph Fauria @ TE and i would be happy. It's time we put the fear of a good to great explosive offense on our opponents rather than the other way around. Also would love Ryan Swope but we can't have everything.

On the D', in the later rounds I like DeVonte Holloman and Zavier Gooden @ LB and, DJ Swearinger and Josh Evans @ Safety.

I don't know where people are getting that EJ Manuel will be there in the third or later rounds. That is purely insane wishful thinking. That ship has sailed. Manuel looked great in the Senior Bowl. He has the size, athleticism and skills that can't be teached. He's a mature person with a good work ethic. He can avoid the rush easily. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll be drafted in the first round. His worst case scenario is being drafted by Eagles pick #35 in the second round. Chip Kelly recruited Manuel in high school and I'm sure he would love to be able to get him there. I heard this nugget listening to Manuel getting interviewed today on Philly's all sports radio station The Fanatic.

BTW, It's not only the NFL weak QB teams, but I definitely could see teams like the Bears, Vikings, Texans and Patriots "surprise" the experts by drafting the "high ceiling QB" EJ Manuel in the back end of the first round because these kind of QBs don't grow on trees and there's an extremely HIGH premium on the QB position.

As for the original question, I like these two scenarios (I'm not so sure which one is best yet)...

1. Get Alex Smith and go best defensive player at #8 and trade back into the 1st for a top WR like Austin or Patterson.

2. EJ Manuel at #8 and trade back into the 1st for a top WR like Austin or Patterson. It sucks that it will be considered a big gamble, but the Bills can't chance losing their guy.

The Bills can no longer afford to get "cute" with the QB position. Get Smith or Manuel and move on.

Agreed...And I'm guessing Manuel will be a 1st Round Pick by the time it's all said and done...He's a QB with great raw tools...

Get a qb in the draft. Satisfy the fans. trade for more picks. Because we need time to sort the new regime.

Make a deal with the devil for next years drafted QB of the future.

Agreed...And I'm guessing Manuel will be a 1st Round Pick by the time it's all said and done...He's a QB with great raw tools...

There is going to be a run on qbs and two (at least) will be drafted before # 8.

Looks like a wheelin and dealin and exciting draft to me.

I just don’t see any good gambles at getting a franchise QB in this years draft. Let’s not panic and mortgage our team’s future for a reach and a bad gamble at QB.

Try to pick up a vet FA QB as a game manager this year, I just can’t take the trauma of living through another season watching Fitz. At least a new face will lessen the trauma a little, even if we get the same results. Hoping that there is QB in the draft that is a reasonable gamble at becoming a Franchise QB next year. Build the team this year to actually support him when we finally do get him. Do what it takes to get the QB then, if we identify one as a good enough gamble at actually becoming our QB of the future.

We have so many needs to fill. At least two WRs, two LBs, DL, OL, TE. Assuming we can resign Byrd and Levitre, we are only truly set at center and RB. Every other position at least needs better quality backups. Hopefully before the draft we can get one or two quality FA to help fill some of our positions of need.

Try to trade down into the mid 1st round and get at least another teams first and second round picks.

It looks like there will be a lot of very worthy talent available in the 2nd round this year without reaching too much. Using the 1st and two 2nd round picks, get BPA that fits our needs among WR, LB, TE, OL and DL.

In the 3rd and 4th, or even trading back into the 3rd if need be, pick up two QBs from among who is still remaining of Manuel, Bray, Nassib, Jones, Glennon and Dysert, if any are still there. They all are gambles, and are long shots to ever be a franchise QB. Take two if possible, and simply roll the dice after filling your greatest other needs with your first three picks and FA.

What would your draft strategy be?

see my sig

Bills don't have a 7th rd. pick. I like moving back in the 1st and acquiring another pick or two in your first scenario. Here's my wish list of players.

1) Lane Johnson OT Oklahoms

2) Khaseem Greene LB Rutgers

3) Quinton Patton WR LA Tech

3) Mike Glennon QB NC State

4) Tyrann Mathieu CB (Honey Badger won't last til 6th rd)

5) AJ Klein LB Iowa State

6) Vance McDonald TE Rice

Getting a first rd talent in 4th will be key to draft. Hopefully Belichick won't snatch him before that.

Glennon wont go in the third and I don't think we have 2 3rds.

see my sig

Glennon wont go in the third and I don't think we have 2 3rds.

None of us really know where any QB will go, any one player can rise and fall in the draft. Who would have believed Buffalo could have gotten Glen in the 2nd last year?

I can't speak for the poster, but he did say he would move back in the first. I assume he would only do it for an extra third. Guess he would only move a couple back back to only get a third for moving back in the 1st.

http://www.draftcoun...Value-Chart.php

I tried to post the chart but the TBD site does not hold the format. This helps teams make trades of picks to equalize the standard value of each pick. The more desperate a team is the more likely they will deviate from the standard value.

Edited by simpleman

I would always trade down if the deal is good for us. My gut feeling is this years talent is thinner then it's been in the past, especially at QB. There are no elite QB's, and not much separates the top QB from the 6th ranked QB. I would never reach for need(cough....Mike WIlliams). So when trading down, I would try and pull a Pats move and gain an additional #1 next year. Something like trade down to 30, and pick up an additional 2nd, and next years #1. That allows you to take a shot at a QB in the first 2 rounds, and two number 1's next year just in case.

So if I was GM- I sign Levitre and Franchise Byrd, or vice versa. I sign Dave Nelson. McKelvin, Kyle Moore. I target Brian Hartline and Martellus Bennett as free agents. I draft 2 QB's, 3-4 LBers, pass rushers, and secondary help...

I would always trade down if the deal is good for us. My gut feeling is this years talent is thinner then it's been in the past, especially at QB. There are no elite QB's, and not much separates the top QB from the 6th ranked QB. I would never reach for need(cough....Mike WIlliams). So when trading down, I would try and pull a Pats move and gain an additional #1 next year. Something like trade down to 30, and pick up an additional 2nd, and next years #1. That allows you to take a shot at a QB in the first 2 rounds, and two number 1's next year just in case.

I like that plan a lot Pete!!! I've been thinking the same all along...Especially about getting another #1 in 2014 where there may be as many as 3 Top 10 QB's if things fall right (Manziel, Bridgewater, and McCarron)...

I'd still take 2 QB's in this Draft to be safe regardless... B-)

1. Get Bowe in FA

2. Sign Matt Moore in FA

3. Draft BPA at position of need w/ emphasis on pass rusher (Werner/Jones/Jordan), all purpose LB(I.e. N Johnson), QB.

4. Best FB & K available in the late rounds.

5. ???

6. Championship

* If Lattimore is on the board when we pick in the 4th I sprint to the podium to take him.

Edited by Rob's House

The Bills D last year was the worst I have seen this club field in a long time. The need D. Badly.

Even tho they played better towards the end of the season they need more talent back there. Dareus is gonna come back focused. Gilmore is going to have a pro offseason, Mario is going to used better. Kyle is gonna be healthy...maybe? They have some pieces.

But one of the thing they need the most is a pass rushing LB. If they play some 3-4 they are going to have to draft some.

So I would draft the best LB on the board first round. I have said in the past that Nassib should be first but he could be there in the Second Round easy. Think this is where I gotta get a QB.

Then in the 3rd look for a WR or another LB.

First we have to go with priorities

1) Resign Byrd & Levitre that is the top priority before we get to the draft, or at least find out if they will resign, if they are going to wait to test the waters they are gone, IMHO which we need to know that before the draft.

There are some good O line prospects in this years draft, even though i would hate to see Andy go i think he may be able to be replaced with a line man in this years draft, Byrd maybe not so easy !!

B/C if either are gone then we can adjust our picks accordingly ...

I would look to trade down in the 1st...Maybe twice...Get an extra 2nd Round Pick minimum...Take EJ Manuel with my 1st Pick...Then look to bring in a LB, CB, and WR...I would most definitely Draft another QB in the 4th or 5th Round... B-)

I would take EJ manuel 8th overall !!

I would take EJ manuel 8th overall !!

I would too. However, I think there's the chance that EJ Manuel separates himself as the standout legit franchise QB so much so that the Bills could never even get the chance to draft him.

There are six teams that desperately need a QB (Chiefs, Jaguars, Raiders, Eagles and Browns) drafting ahead of the Bills. I think as the draft draws closer it will become clear that there will probably be three QBs off the board before the Bills pick. I think those guys are Smith, Barkley and possibly Manuel.

I would too. However, I think there's the chance that EJ Manuel separates himself as the standout legit franchise QB so much so that the Bills could never even get the chance to draft him.

There are six teams that desperately need a QB (Chiefs, Jaguars, Raiders, Eagles and Browns) drafting ahead of the Bills. I think as the draft draws closer it will become clear that there will probably be three QBs off the board before the Bills pick. I think those guys are Smith, Barkley and possibly Manuel.

The bright side of that scenario is it becomes conceivably possible that Werner, Jones, or Joekel falls to #8