E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

Jaworski doesn't grade them. He only comments.

1. Geno Smith, West Virginia

I project him to be a solid starter in the NFL and certainly the No. 1 quarterback off the board at the draft.

2. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

3. EJ Manuel, Florida State

I think we'll see a team trade up into the back end of Round 1 to select him.

4. Landry Jones, Oklahoma

I think he'll be a good pro.

Thanks for this :)....

Though he may not grade them, his comments, when cut to the core show the above 4 likely to be selected inside the top 36(where nearly all of the good QB prospects get picked).

I've taken the liberty of re-wording the Scouts Inc. list below....

Scouts Inc:

- Name: Grade(Overall player rank)

Geno Smith: 91(20)

Matt Barkley: 89(32)

Ryan Nassib: 83(53)

Tyler Wilson: 82(57)

EJ Manuel: 78(73)

Mike Glennon: 77(81)

Landry Jones: 76(87)

Tyler Bray: 74(93)

Matt Scott: 68(125)

Zac Dysert: 62(144)

So Geno Smith is scored a 91point player and 20th ranked player.

They have Smith and Barkley graded a good level above the others......with all of the rest being somewhat similar(apart from Scott & Dysert).

When you look at their player rankings......and factor that QBs generally will be selected around 20 places higher than their overall ranking....Scouts Inc. ratings would likely also see 4 QBs selected in the first 36 picks......but they would be Smith, Barkley, Nassib & Wilson(maybe).

The more I see of the "experts" predictions, the more I come to think that the 2 QBs who I would put money on going in the 1st round are Smith & Nassib.

Edited by Dibs

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may not seem related to Manuel at first, but New England's offer sheet to Emmanuel Sanders changes the draft significantly if it goes through un-matched.

If Pittsburgh doesn't match, they surrender their 3rd round pick to NE, leaving the Pats without a pick between rounds 2 and 7.

I can easily see them trading down from the #29 slot in an effort to gain more picks...and this would be the perfect spot for a team picking in the 33-40 range to move up for Manuel.

Looking more to me like E.J. is coming off the board in round 1, maybe at the 29 spot.

Thoughts?

Thanks for this :)....

Though he may not grade them, his comments, when cut to the core show the above 4 likely to be selected inside the top 36(where nearly all of the good QB prospects get picked).

I've taken the liberty of re-wording the Scouts Inc. list below....

They have Smith and Barkley graded a good level above the others......with all of the rest being somewhat similar(apart from Scott & Dysert).

When you look at their player rankings......and factor that QBs generally will be selected around 20 places higher than their overall ranking....Scouts Inc. ratings would likely also see 4 QBs selected in the first 36 picks......but they would be Smith, Barkley, Nassib & Wilson(maybe).

The more I see of the "experts" predictions, the more I come to think that the 2 QBs who I would put money on going in the 1st round are Smith & Nassib.

That list was spot on, IMO. I see Barkley and Smith as first round picks, and Manuel, Nassib, and Wilson as all being gone by the end of round 2. As much as people say this isn't a great draft for QB's (that's being nice) I say it is a pretty good draft for QB's, if you're a team like Buffalo that needs a QB and is selecting where they are. If there were a Luck/Griffin combo in this draft, and then a huge drop off, people might say it was a good draft for QB's, but Buffalo would still be left with leftovers - because there's no way Jacksonville, Oakland, Philly, and Arizona would allow a sure-fire QB to fall past them.

As it is now, Buffalo might get to pick from any QB in the draft at 8, and, if they pass, they'll probably still be able to get a QB in the 2nd who could potentially be a Franchise guy. That's a good spot for Buffalo to be in, IMO.

That list was spot on, IMO. I see Barkley and Smith as first round picks, and Manuel, Nassib, and Wilson as all being gone by the end of round 2. As much as people say this isn't a great draft for QB's (that's being nice) I say it is a pretty good draft for QB's, if you're a team like Buffalo that needs a QB and is selecting where they are. If there were a Luck/Griffin combo in this draft, and then a huge drop off, people might say it was a good draft for QB's, but Buffalo would still be left with leftovers - because there's no way Jacksonville, Oakland, Philly, and Arizona would allow a sure-fire QB to fall past them.

As it is now, Buffalo might get to pick from any QB in the draft at 8, and, if they pass, they'll probably still be able to get a QB in the 2nd who could potentially be a Franchise guy. That's a good spot for Buffalo to be in, IMO.

I think it is highly unlikely any of the top 4 or 5 QBs are on the board at 41. Waiting for a player to drop into the right slot is why the Bills have failed at getting a young QB for the past 3 years. They either need to pick who they want at 8, or trade back into the first, or trade down in the first and pick there. I would prefer they not screw around and just go ahead and take who they want at 8. If Buddy tries to get cute, they will likely lose out again. Trading back into the first would be costly and they need the picks, so I do not see that.

It may not seem related to Manuel at first, but New England's offer sheet to Emmanuel Sanders changes the draft significantly if it goes through un-matched.

If Pittsburgh doesn't match, they surrender their 3rd round pick to NE, leaving the Pats without a pick between rounds 2 and 7.

I can easily see them trading down from the #29 slot in an effort to gain more picks...and this would be the perfect spot for a team picking in the 33-40 range to move up for Manuel.

Looking more to me like E.J. is coming off the board in round 1, maybe at the 29 spot.

Thoughts?

I'm on the Geno Smith train and had Barkley a close 2nd, but Manuel is closely sneaking into the #2 spot. Seems like a great kid who still has a lot of room to grow. A great point the anti-Barkley folks make is that maybe he is a finished product. If you are truly a good offensive coach, Manuel seems like a guy you would love to work with because he has a huge upside.

So did anyone see his appearance on Gruden's QB Camp?

"yes sir".

i was absolutely beaten down by the "yes sir". he really seemed uncomfortable around "chucky". but i could absolutely understand why, the guy is rather intimidating given the fact that he is a former sb champion coach. not to mention that there were millions upon millions of people watching this thing, salivating over the opportunity to praise this kid or rip him to shreds.

in the end, i didn't really know what to think of the qb camp showing with manuel. it came across as some good, some bad, and he struck me as a bit nervous and uncomfortable.

nope, born and raised in salamanca ny. that's pretty freakin' far from the south. i understand it is a sign of respect and i admire that, but his use of "yes sir" was very much the same as i've heard many other atheletes use "um" or "uh". overall i would say he struck me as rather humble and respectful and polite. but also like i said before he struck me as nervous and uncomfortable.

the other thing that struck me was it almost seemed a forced, false sense of bravado when speaking of his place among his peers. it almost seemed like someone had told him to tell people he is the best. just kinda weird. i've never heard this kid speak before so i really have nothing to compare this with, but i came away rather puzzled by manuel.

the guy has great size, has speed and agility, and has a good arm. he is the winner of the "measureables" competition for sure, and he might have more potential than any other qb coming out this year. we'll see what happens.

I think it is highly unlikely any of the top 4 or 5 QBs are on the board at 41. Waiting for a player to drop into the right slot is why the Bills have failed at getting a young QB for the past 3 years. They either need to pick who they want at 8, or trade back into the first, or trade down in the first and pick there. I would prefer they not screw around and just go ahead and take who they want at 8. If Buddy tries to get cute, they will likely lose out again. Trading back into the first would be costly and they need the picks, so I do not see that.

I agree. There probably won't be more than 2 qbs taken in the first round, but there is a really good chance that 3 or more qbs will get picked at the top of the 2nd round before we pick... if we are using our 2nd rounder to draft a qb, best thing to do is to trade up into the first round.

I agree. There probably won't be more than 2 qbs taken in the first round, but there is a really good chance that 3 or more qbs will get picked at the top of the 2nd round before we pick... if we are using our 2nd rounder to draft a qb, best thing to do is to trade up into the first round.

I don't disagree, but if that's going to be the Bills plan they better trade out of # 8 and get some extra picks...Otherwise they're coming out of this Draft with 5 players on a team with needs, especially depth-wise, that easily double that number... B-)

From what the Bills have put out themselves, I'm thinking it's Manuel/Nassib/Barkley for the 2nd round pick - whoever is left. Of course, there is plenty of time for them to start hyping the player they target in the last few days before the draft. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but they always seem to give clues, inadvertently or not, right before draft day.

Listen. Its this simple.

You have missed the playoffs for 13 years.

You dont have a quarterback.

If you dont take a quarterback at 8, I dont care who you take, or who you think will fall to you at 41. I will KNOW you still dont get it.

And I swear to the holy sweet baby jeezus on high, I will not watch a single game this year, nor will I ever watch a single game or pay for the NFL package.

Give me a quarterback. At 8. Dont gamble that the best qb will fall to 41.

I, personally, want E.J. But whoever it is, give me some hope.

The goal should always be to WIN the SUPERBOWL THIS year. If we dont take a qb at 8, then we are building for next year. Stop wasting my time. That's 16x3 = 48 hours of my life this season I can use for something else. Life is short.

Dion Jordan is a difference maker at DE/OLB. He gives us the pressure rusher we need. I really think Manuel has IT. Get some help at LB, WR, and OL later or in FA. Those are the 2 rookies I want most.

I watch alot of pac 12 football, and have seen Jordan get stonewalled quite often by TE's, and tackles. He can be a very effective passrusher, but lacks brute force, and is raw technique-wise. I think the kid can do it IF he can keep weight on his frame, and perfects his technique. If the choice is between him and Ansah at 8, -it's Ansah hands down.

Edited by #34fan

This kid is not as good as people make him out to be.

Looks like Tarzan on paper but sometimes plays like Jane on the field.

FSU has some of the best recruiting classes and underachieves.

Edited by Bangarang

I don't disagree, but if that's going to be the Bills plan they better trade out of # 8 and get some extra picks...Otherwise they're coming out of this Draft with 5 players on a team with needs, especially depth-wise, that easily double that number... B-)

Agreed. Trade down or take the top QB on the board at 8. Trading up into the 1st using our 2nd, 3rd and/or future picks isn't the way to go IMO. If we can't trade down and plan on taking a QB with their 2nd pick, I think it's a mistake. If they plan on waiting a few rds and taking a QB in rd 4-6, so be it. But I don't like the idea of trading up this year.

"yes sir".

i was absolutely beaten down by the "yes sir". he really seemed uncomfortable around "chucky". but i could absolutely understand why, the guy is rather intimidating given the fact that he is a former sb champion coach. not to mention that there were millions upon millions of people watching this thing, salivating over the opportunity to praise this kid or rip him to shreds.

in the end, i didn't really know what to think of the qb camp showing with manuel. it came across as some good, some bad, and he struck me as a bit nervous and uncomfortable.

If this is true, he's completely off my draft board. I bet yes sir is some street slang for drugs or a woman's private parts. I don't trust this kid and won't touch him with a ten foot pole.

lots of kids from the South, this one from Virgina, and don't say "yes, sir" half as much. it was over-the-top, but i'm sure he'd get over that once he gets his millions.

on the flip side, you had Barkley playing the part of the typical laid-back surfer dude... stereotypical, but came off so true. no "yessirs" from him/ more like "yeah, totally".