Darrelle Revis traded to Bucs

BRAWNDO

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glimore and Revis as starting CBs would be nice, but the Jets would probably double price the asking for a trade with the Bills

Trade M. Anderson A. Williams & L. Mckelvin to NYJ for Revis, then get Okafor or another pass rusher in the draft for less money & with Pettine leading that bunch !!!

I gotta stop !! WOW !!!

Edited by T master

It would be weird if one of these guys didnt list us. It would be weird if it were true at the asking price.

You never know, pettine could be attached to the guy. And if helps push thru some exhorbitantly expensive trade, he could be the worst DC in bills history, before the season even starts.

I pray Nix isn't that stupid..

Revis can pound sand for all I care. As I said earlier, he's not worth more than a 3rd and that's all the Jets will get for him, IMO.

Tim-

how is the best CB in the game worth a 3rd? is this because he got hurt? I'd ship off a 2nd rounder in a nanosecond. Revis tackles well defends everything, I think he has a ton of value.

how is the best CB in the game worth a 3rd? is this because he got hurt? I'd ship off a 2nd rounder in a nanosecond. Revis tackles well defends everything, I think he has a ton of value.

- coming off ACL, no idea how he returns. Some guys come back the same, others never.

- CB position in particular concern with all the need for quick lateral movement.

- costly $6mm for the year

- no "franchise" clause

- history of holdouts and "highest paid" demands

- coming off ACL, no idea how he returns. Some guys come back the same, others never.

- CB position in particular concern with all the need for quick lateral movement.

- no "franchise" clause

When was the last guy not to return from an ACL effectively? It's been a pretty good batting average lately. I genuinely don't even remember the last time....

I'd assume it would require a new deal but 6m would be incredibly cheap. More likely though, it's a fresh huge contract that dwarfs the 6m and takes care of the other concerns....

When was the last guy not to return from an ACL effectively? It's been a pretty good batting average lately. I genuinely don't even remember the last time....

I'd assume it would require a new deal but 6m would be incredibly cheap. More likely though, it's a fresh huge contract that dwarfs the 6m and takes care of the other concerns....

Wouldn't be incredibly cheap, be 2nd highest salary behind Mario. And certainly effect our moves via resigning players and signing other FAs.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Revis is on the last year of his contract. Trading a #1 for a high-priced veteran player coming off an ACL injury for just one season is nuts.

First, I suspect the Jets are floating this idea as a negotiating tactic with Revis to re-up his contract while he's injured. This drives down his price and the Jets are the only ones that can negotiate with him at this point. If they know he wants to remain a Jet and if he's at all worried about his future performance coming off the injury, now is the time to negotiate with him.

Of course, the same holds true for any team that would trade for Revis. You'd have to make a contract extension part of the deal and that's a real risk for any team resigning him. I could see trading a #3 with a conditional upgrade to a #2 for him (if he makes a Pro Bowl or starts all 16 games or something). Trading the most economically valuable player on a team (1st rounder with the new salary slotting) for a guaranteed expensive player with injury performance risk is not the smart play, IMO.

Any trade would have to include agreement on long term extension. I would do a 1 st for him.

Any trade would have to include agreement on long term extension. I would do a 1 st for him.

Which he'd threaten multiple holdouts if he's playing well. And of course we'd eat the cost if he's not the same player. There's just little room for an upside scenario with this guy.

If bills were smart theyd come out publicly and say theyre not interested in this trade, contrary to rumors. . And leave it at that. Let the media interpret as pettine saying he's done or at least not worth it. That would hurt his trade value so jets either end up getting less or better yet stuck with him another year. Jets are making the rational choice to try and move him, it makes sense for us as a division rival to try and hurt their chances.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

- no "franchise" clause

This^^^ Particularly the last point. He's a cancer for a bunch of guys trying to form an team identity. We don't need him!

Tim-

heard on the news the bills are interested...not sure what the asking price is. we are pretty far away from being good enough to waste a 1st on a guy for just a year. he would have to come with an extension an load it with incentives. if he plays like the best corner in the league pay the man, if not then his guarantee should be the average for a starting corner.

This^^^ Particularly the last point. He's a cancer for a bunch of guys trying to form an team identity. We don't need him!

Tim-

- no "franchise" clause

You guys are funny, Revis is as flawless as an NFL player can be. Not saying I want the guy but he's worth every penny.

Wouldn't be incredibly cheap, be 2nd highest salary behind Mario. And certainly effect our moves via resigning players and signing other FAs.

For the best corner in the league? That's like getting a lobster dinner at a nice restaurant and then the check comes back for 9.99

Sure it's more than burgers but still a tremendous value.

And though any given player might be lower in 2013, on a per year average it's also certainly cheaper than fitz, Stevie, in the ballpark of Anderson, less than Kyle Williams, etc....

None of that really mattering as he'd be a monster contract with any extension....

And still curious about the ACL concern - other than a guy with several recurring injuries, fringe on a roster that might not have made it even before,, or much older (ie only had a year or two left anyway) has it really effected guys other than a standard 9-12 months out of football in the last decade?

And still curious about the ACL concern - other than a guy with several recurring injuries, fringe on a roster that might not have made it even before,, or much older (ie only had a year or two left anyway) has it really effected guys other than a standard 9-12 months out of football in the last decade?

I agree the trend seems positive, but how you can totally dismiss it and not consider it a material risk factor escapes me.

Here's a good article on the subject http://tompelissero.com/pg_acl.html

On one hand it sounds promising .....

Recent research shows NFL players are coming back from ACL reconstruction at a higher rate than ever. Surgical advances, more experienced physicians and improved rehabilitation techniques mean veterans such as Barnett -- and teammates Mark Tauscher and Will Blackmon, who also have torn ACLs in the past year -- more likely than not will play again, with no significant impact on their longevity.

On the other there's this ....

A 2006 study co-authored by Sennett examined the statistical performance of 31 running backs and receivers who sustained 33 ACL injuries between 1998 and 2002. Most of the players returned to action within nine to 12 months; only 21 percent never played in another regular-season game.

But when compared to a control group of 146 players set up to account for football-specific variables such as team success and scheme changes, the performance of the players who had ACL reconstructions went from above average in the three years before surgery to below average in the three years after. Researchers found the average drop in power rating -- a weighted sum of yards and touchdowns -- fell by roughly one-third post-injury.

"They don't always come back," Sennett said, "but when they do come back, they actually come back less than they were beforehand."

And that ....

There also is a mental hurdle players must overcome. For Barnett, it was learning to ignore the crackling and believe his knee was fine. For skill-position players, such as quarterbacks, it's believing they can take a hit without getting reinjured.

Cincinnati quarterback Carson Palmer, who tore multiple knee ligaments on a low hit in a January 2006 playoff game, told the Los Angeles Times this summer that "still to this day, I'm trying to get over this mental block.

"It's just something where you've got to go out on a limb and just say, 'I'm going to step through every throw.' Because what happens is, the ball starts sailing on you, balls start dying, interceptions happen, tipped balls happen and your completion percentage drastically goes down."

Are you saying you're indifferent to player A vs B, both out of football for a year and everything else being equal except Player A is returning from ACL and B isn't?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

the guy is coming off a major injury. its going to be tough to gauge his ability until he can run. this could also be a ploy by the jest front office to get him to sign an extension for less money. revis doesn't want to leave the jest and they could be willing to use this to motivate him to be a team player and take less money.

the guy is coming off a major injury. its going to be tough to gauge his ability until he can run. this could also be a ploy by the jest front office to get him to sign an extension for less money. revis doesn't want to leave the jest and they could be willing to use this to motivate him to be a team player and take less money.

If this story in NY Post saying he wants Mario Williams money is true, he and jets may just end up stuck with each other another year. Gotta be nuts to touch this guy

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/revis_wants_to_run_dash_N7JtAAmUowI7BwNng58MAP