Darrelle Revis traded to Bucs

BRAWNDO

If this story in NY Post saying he wants Mario Williams money is true, he and jets may just end up stuck with each other another year. Gotta be nuts to touch this guy

http://www.nypost.co...UowI7BwNng58MAP

Yes. It would be literally insane to trade away picks for Revis, even if he was not coming off of a serious injury.

Again, it is very hard for some fans to get past the fact that a player is "good." The more important questions are how many games would Revis win us, and what moves would be prevented by giving Revis the huge bucks.

The Bills drafted Gilmore hoping that he would be a shutdown corner. Maybe he will become one. There is ZERO need to allocate huge resources to Revis, or any other corner.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe the 6 [ack is right. This is the only way they get something for him, and I bet it will be a #2, and a second #2 the following draft if he plays 1ll 16 games, or something like that. We seem to have the cap room once we dump some dead weight. This would have a large impact on our defense as we can focus on a stud LB in the draft after a QB. We can also buy a QB on the market. They key is we may then need to wait on a WR as we would get too close on the cap to get a Smith or Flynn, and Revis, and a D. Bowe. The WR would probably have to wait or get a hit later in the draft.

It' my understanding there is some talent in the draft at CB and WR so we may have no interest in Revis as he'll demand 9 mil a year.

Are you saying you're indifferent to player A vs B, both out of football for a year and everything else being equal except Player A is returning from ACL and B isn't?

No, but that situation doesn't exist. What we have is player A was the best player at his position prr-injury in the scheme we will be running, with the coaches we will have coaching, in the division we will be playing.

The ACL is a consideration but he will have nearly a full 12 months by seasons start. He's also only 27 years old. The ACL would sway my evaluation of player A as an independent evaluation very minimally

When it comes down to it I'm not calling for revis as I want to see the resources go to a qb (heck, a 1, 2, and a 15m a year contract should go a long way towards that, and likely have some leftover still) but I do like to be realistic about the player he is still

The Jets cant afford him, not with the salary cap issues. Revis it seems has priced himself out of NY. Which is good because if he goes he is out of the division.

So I think we should be happy he is likely out of the AFC east, which is a victory for us because it greatly increases our chances of beating the Jets.

I don't think we need Revis, the cost would be too great.

Gilmore , McKelvin are the starting CB's and now will be getting much better coaching. I think Pettine is gonna coach these guys up. the whole D for that matter.

In reality the signing would likely be much like Rex signing Bart Scott when he got to ny. A star, vet leader to champion the transition, but before the end of the contract paying a top of the league premium for a player on the downside.

It's a risk you can take, but you have to be ready for the realities it entails. Not easy, and probably not worth the picks AND money.

True, but you're still talking about a guy who's pushing 30, just came off ACL surgery and has a history of never being happy with the contract he just signed. No, thanks.

rhat pretty much sums Revis up in few few words.

Bottom ticker on ESPN is saying Revis is seeking similar deal as Bills Mario Williams. There's no way we can entertain giving up picks and that kind of money. I think these kind of statements are severely hurting the Jets ability to trade him. I'd be willing to guess that he gets cut or they can only get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him.

Edited by Triple Threat

Bottom ticker on ESPN is saying Revis is seeking similar deal as Bills Mario Williams. There's no way we can entertain giving up picks and that kind of money. I think these kind of statements are severely hurting the Jets ability to trade him. I'd be willing to guess that he gets cut or they can only get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him.

Someone will go all in - just don't think it's us

Edited by NoSaint

Sounds like Revis is either trying to set the starting point of negotiations high or is suffering from severe delusions of grandeur. I can't see any team paying that kind of money for a corner, even if he is the premier corner in the league - and that's before you even consider the picks it would cost to get him this year.

Mario is overpaid, but he was overpaid because of the rare circumstance of being a young premier DE on the market when a team w/ plenty of cap space that couldn't have been more desperate for a DE was willing to overpay to have a difference maker to anchor the line. DE is usually the most important position on the defense. And while corners are important, they're not $16 mil/yr important. I could maybe see a team that thinks they're a corner away from a SB dropping that for a year, but $60 mil guaranteed is too large a gamble for him. I'll be shocked if he gets anywhere near that.

Sounds like Revis is either trying to set the starting point of negotiations high or is suffering from severe delusions of grandeur. I can't see any team paying that kind of money for a corner, even if he is the premier corner in the league - and that's before you even consider the picks it would cost to get him this year.

Mario is overpaid, but he was overpaid because of the rare circumstance of being a young premier DE on the market when a team w/ plenty of cap space that couldn't have been more desperate for a DE was willing to overpay to have a difference maker to anchor the line. DE is usually the most important position on the defense. And while corners are important, they're not $16 mil/yr important. I could maybe see a team that thinks they're a corner away from a SB dropping that for a year, but $60 mil guaranteed is too large a gamble for him. I'll be shocked if he gets anywhere near that.

Nnamdi got 12m per, 2 years ago which equates to 13-14 in current dollars. Now that argument can cut both ways - revis deserves more than nnamdi but nnamdi hasn't lived up to that price (though Philly has been a disaster and misused every resource on d)

Edited by NoSaint

Nnamdi got 12m per, 2 years ago which equates to 13-14 in current dollars. Now that argument can cut both ways - revis deserves more than nnamdi but nnamdi hasn't lived up to that price (though Philly has been a disaster and misused every resource on d)

The biggest difference here is he got substantially less than half the guaranteed money Revis is asking for, which makes it much easier to cut bait if necessary. Also, Revis, especially coming off injury, isn't now considered a better (if even as good) a prospect as Nnamdi was when he signed that deal, yet he's asking not only for 240% more guaranteed money, but substantially more money annually as well. I would consider the 3 mil/yr disparity (assuming 12 mil then = 13 mil now) a very substantial increase.

I could be wrong. There could be a desperate GM who's willing to pay that, but I wouldn't want to be the guy who signs off on that contract.

Revis when healthy is worth it. No doubt.

Problem is he's not right NOW. Who is gonna to be dumb enough to overpay for a guy near 30 coming off major knee injury.??

He going to have to prove himself all over. Can he come back like AP? Maybe but we shall see.

Revis when healthy is worth it. No doubt.

Problem is he's not right NOW. Who is gonna to be dumb enough to overpay for a guy near 30 coming off major knee injury.??

He going to have to prove himself all over. Can he come back like AP? Maybe but we shall see.

Like I said up thread? When was the last time a 27 year old star didnt come back from an ACL?

Not saying its a good contract but it wouldn't be a shocking situation if he ends up above nnamdi but just shy of Mario

• 4 weeks later...

“I was speechless. I tweeted it out I was speechless,” Revis said about hearing the reports. “I was speechless because I didn’t get a phone call. I know it’s a business. Just call me — don’t have it lingering out there. I need answers and I’m not getting any. Just the fact that that was put out there instead of contacting your best player on the team. If that’s how you want to do business, then that’s fine.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/corner_rips_jets_owner_for_trade_lrvA1fzSps25eNKdipixXL

Jets definitely aren't handling this well. I think that it's logical to try and trade Revis but why not sit down with him and discuss the issue instead of leaving him in the dark? Revis may not like it but he deserves to be told to his face that the Jets are going to trade him if they get a decent offer.

Jets definitely aren't handling this well. I think that it's logical to try and trade Revis but why not sit down with him and discuss the issue instead of leaving him in the dark? Revis may not like it but he deserves to be told to his face that the Jets are going to trade him if they get a decent offer.

. Every year, under contract or not, he holds out or threatens to do so. Now, he is still talking about how great he is, and he's coming off of major surgery. I feel no sympathy at all for Revis, and I love that the jets are wasting so much cap space on a disruptive, injured corner. It's great to see a divisional rival be so stupid.,