I could be wrong but..........

JESSEFEFFER

I think it is rather unusual to have a QB coach that never played QB in either the NFL or at the collegiate level. Given the need to assess and infuse new talent into the position and develop it, maybe even nurture it, I am left to wonder if Hackett is the right man for that particular job. Most of us are thinking that the success or failure in the selection and development of the new talent will ultimately decide Marrone's coaching fate.

Ironically enough for me to suggest, but I think it sounds like a job suited for Chan Gailey or at least someone with a background like his. He's never had a franchise talent to work with and has always made do with trying to get the best QB play from those he had around and mostly succeeded. He could be like "Obi Wan Kenobi" to whomever they decided is "the one." Chan was even starting to look like Alec Guinness near the end.

The Bills attempted to do this for JP by hiring Sam Wyce. The fact that it didn't work in the end doesn't mean that it was a bad idea. Just throwing this out there.

Just as I said in the "Was Marrone the right hire" thread, nobody has any idea whether or not this will be a success. We won't know if Hackett was capable of being OC and QB coach until he does it and we see the result. My preference would be for them to hire a QB coach separate from the OC, but I have no facts to support this preference. As hard as it may be, we will just have to wait and see how things turn out.

We saw what hiring a QB mechanics guru can do for an NFL QB. David Lee was a QB at Vanderbuilt and went on to be a QB coach at the collegiate and Pro level. With all of that experience, he managed to help make Fitz even worse than he was the year before. I will take my chances with coach Hackett, he can't be any worse than the last guy.

Andy Reid has been decent at developing QB's as a QB coach

He gained most of his coaching knowledge by coaching OL at a professional level.

His only background of playing the game rests on Reid playing OG and DE at BYU for Lavell Edwards.

Of course he is now the HC of the Chiefs, but Reid has been touted in assisting the best from his QB's under his tutelage.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Maybe so, Burt Kurt Warner was a finished product. Who has Haley developed? Just asking.

He helped Cassel look decent. Steelers offense looks pretty productive too.

Think of it this way. The Steelers could have hired anyone to work with Big Ben, lots of OCs would love to work with a guy like that. They choose Haley. He must be doing something right

We saw what hiring a QB mechanics guru can do for an NFL QB. David Lee was a QB at Vanderbuilt and went on to be a QB coach at the collegiate and Pro level. With all of that experience, he managed to help make Fitz even worse than he was the year before. I will take my chances with coach Hackett, he can't be any worse than the last guy.

I don't think he was worse. Interceptions were down. Sideline under throws seemed less abundant. Overthrows seemed more likely. Besides, I am talking QB guru here. Watching film, critiquing practices, building confidence, teaching the reads, talking to the media, whatever it takes to make him an effective pro.

He helped Cassel look decent. Steelers offense looks pretty productive too.

Think of it this way. The Steelers could have hired anyone to work with Big Ben, lots of OCs would love to work with a guy like that. They choose Haley. He must be doing something right

Don't think Ben was playing his best football very often this year.

Let me restate it this way. Marrone made it a priority to have a DC with a successful NFL pedigree. I think this was smart thinking. I'd have thought the same if he made a it similar prerequisite for his QB COACH, not necessarily the OC. QB play and the defense were the biggest weaknesses (defense way more so, IMO) and bringing in guys with a successful NFL pedigree in both these areas would have been a wise thing to do. Maybe Hackett can wear both those hats but doing both those jobs at the NFL level for the first time might be too much to ask.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

I don't think he was worse. Interceptions were down. Sideline under throws seemed less abundant. Overthrows seemed more likely. Besides, I am talking QB guru here. Watching film, critiquing practices, building confidence, teaching the reads, talking to the media, whatever it takes to make him an effective pro.

Let me restate it this way. Marrone made it a priority to have a DC with a successful NFL pedigree. I think this was smart thinking. I'd have thought the same if he made a it similar prerequisite for his QB COACH, not necessarily the OC. QB play and the defense were the biggest weaknesses (defense way more so, IMO) and bringing in guys with a successful NFL pedigree in both these areas would have been a wise thing to do. Maybe Hackett can wear both those hats but doing both those jobs at the NFL level for the first time might be too much to ask.

David Lee WAS considered to be a QB guru.

Forget a QB coach for now! Let's get a QB...a winning QB who has arm strength and can accurately throw the ball. I am sick of it being thrown off the turf when the guy is wide open.

Edited by Cmscully

Fitz looked better in 2011 than last year. Wonder if trying to change what you were for your entire playing years was wrong. He sure didn't improve with a quarterback coach change. He still can't throw long but has a gun on the short and medium passes. We can live with that another year..

Fitz looked better in 2011 than last year. Wonder if trying to change what you were for your entire playing years was wrong. He sure didn't improve with a quarterback coach change. He still can't throw long but has a gun on the short and medium passes. We can live with that another year..

Agree. Except for one thing. Seems Fitz used to throw long pretty darn well. Anyone remember the Stevie drop in the end zone against the Steelers a couple years back? That was a helluva throw to win the game. Stevie dropped it. Not sure what the hell happened to Fitz. He had a reasonably good long ball a few years back, and he got rid of the ball QUICK. Yea, I'm also wondering if he's suffered from paralysis by analysis. Over-coached ? Just let the kid play.

I hope he re-structures. I'd like to see him stick around, perhaps as a # 2. He could also be a decent mentor for a young QB, and a decent back-up. Guys got a lot of experience. Likely a better QB today than anyone the Bills will draft, if they even decide to draft a QB.

jb

we are combining coaching duties for one reason only/

Russ is Cheap !

Just kidding Mr Brandon.

But doesn't this look like Nassib is probably the guy.

Those 3 know each other very well, already are on the same page and ahead of the curve, I got a feeling about this.

Hope we can get him in the second round though.

Also if it's too much work for Hackett they always get one later. its just a position coach for gosh sakes :bag:

Edited by 3rdand12

Is it me or who gives a crap?

There is NO..and I repeat NO QB that looks Great that would be available for 2013.

LETS FOCUS on the DEFENSIVE SIDE first and use an average QB who has an ABOVE AVERAGE Running Back in SPILLER!

Imagine running the ball effectively, killing some clock, letting the Defense do their job properly, win games in the trenches and hopefully down the road get the QB we need so much!

Cheers

In regards to Hackett doing both the jobs at once - I have to think it's more Marrone as OC, Hackett helping, and then calling plays - so, although he will have multiple jobs, Marrone will take much of the burden off of the OC part - sharing it, so to speak; much more than he might with Pettine. So, as much as it might be a negative, it might also be a positive that Marrone, Hackett, and the QB will have a sort of blended, cooperative, relationship. Consider this: if Hackett is planning on installing a no-huddle offense similar to the K-Gun offense of old, the QB will have to be, like Peyton Manning, a sort of on-the-field OC, too. Think of it, potentially, as three heads very close together in the play calling process.

I don't know if this is going to be the case specifically, I'm just pointing out that it could go many different ways, some of them perhaps beneficial.